Love to hear about successes....but....

Options
katjohn83
katjohn83 Posts: 119 Member
I love to read about everyone's successes. I absolutely love to see before and after pics. But for those of us still struggling, how about some info on what worked for you. What exactly, with details, did you do? We can be inspired when we read it... we can be super inspired when we see the pics... but we can be super duper inspired when it comes with instructions. I know what works for one will not work for all, but it may work for someone. So how about it? Little help here?

Replies

• a6ftdiva
    a6ftdiva Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Agreed!
  • jmorrisof2
    jmorrisof2 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I would like to know if people are eating back all their exercise calories or not. I seem to be stuck because I have been. Just curious what everyone else is doing.
  • Stinkybug
    Stinkybug Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    I have just signed up with MFP this month, but my weight loss really started around Jan of 2011. I had lost about 72 lbs before I signed up with MFP.

The pre-MFP weight loss was from watching carbs and sugars, but not calories. I try to stay under 40 carbs per meal (3 meals) and 10 carbs per snack (2 snacks). As for sugar, I try to avoid it as much as possible (diabetic).

My weight loss slowed down late last year and then a friend told me about MFP, so I have just started counting calories this month. It has helped a lot.

My daily calorie limit is set at 1500. I usually eat around 1300, so I come in under most of the time and I normally don't go under 1200 net calories.

I eat mostly veggies, low carb yogurt, protein shakes, eggs, cheese, fruits, nuts and seeds . I am not much of a meat eater.

As for exercise, for the first year I was just walking on the treadmill and or using an elliptical machine a few days a week. Now I use a few different workout dvd's, the treadmill or the elliptical at least 6 days a week (30 to 60 minutes per night).
  • rrrbecca11
    Options
    ...speaking as someone who hasn't so much had to lose the weight as keep from gaining it, I can only say that it takes a TON of old-fashioned WILLPOWER to JUST SAY NO and keep your EYE ON THE PRIZE. I like to say that if if the fat gal inside me had her way, I'd weigh 300 pounds inside of a month and it's the truth. But. The SKINNY girl that I am and intend on staying keeps me under control and struggling to say NO NO NO to the constant temptations out there. NOTHING tastes as good as being fit and healthy feels. Good luck, all ya'll. Sending good energy. :-) <3
  • ilike2moveit
    ilike2moveit Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    ...speaking as someone who hasn't so much had to lose the weight as keep from gaining it, I can only say that it takes a TON of old-fashioned WILLPOWER to JUST SAY NO and keep your EYE ON THE PRIZE. I like to say that if if the fat gal inside me had her way, I'd weigh 300 pounds inside of a month and it's the truth. But. The SKINNY girl that I am and intend on staying keeps me under control and struggling to say NO NO NO to the constant temptations out there. NOTHING tastes as good as being fit and healthy feels. Good luck, all ya'll. Sending good energy. :-) <3

LOVE your comment!
  • GurleyGirl524
    GurleyGirl524 Posts: 578 Member
    Options

Well said!!!

I am eating lean proteins, no fried foods, as little processed foods as possible, avoiding "diet foods" and trying to get the majority of my carbs from fresh fruits and fresh or frozen veggies.
  • luvmycandies
    luvmycandies Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I agree, I would love to know more about how they did it>
  • HansTied
    HansTied Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I am glad to share. I will start my saying that I have lost my weight without exercise. I am unable to because of numerous physical issues. So in my opinoin, these are the things that helped me the most.

I alway have 12 eight oz. glasses of water every day, sometimes as many as 20. But 12-14 is the norm.
    I hardly every eat out and do my best to not eat processed foods because of the high sodium levels. Although my diary recommends 2500 mg of sodium I try to stay around 1500.
    I eat frequently, usually about every 2 1/2 to 3 hours but small meals or healthy snacks.
    I have very few sweets, but occasionally PB & J made with sugarless jam.
    Then I eat baked potatoes it is only a small amount and without butter or topping, with the exception of when I have baked potato with 2 tbls of Wolf Brand chili with no beans. It gives a nice chili flavor without adding a lot of sodium.
    I eat mostly baked chicken or Fish (baked or fried in olive oil)

Please feel free to look at my food diary and see my meals. I hope this works for you as well as it has for me. My last checkup the Dr was amazed at my progress in both weight loss and overall health. All my bloodwork was norm or high norm except for low electrolytes and High uric acid (I have gout) (I add Smartwater and Gaterade sometimes to up my electolyte levels)

let me know if you have questions. I am not the most knowledgeable person here, but I have learned these things from other and my experience has been good overall
  • narenn
    narenn Posts: 73
    Options
    No matter what directions you follow, the most important one by far is to NOT give up!
  • bklyngirl71
    bklyngirl71 Posts: 381 Member
    Options
    what worked for me, just taking one day at a time. there will be some goods weeks and some bad weeks.. it took me 6 yrs to lose my weight. now its off for a year. i won't say it was easy. just keep tracking, exercise, drink your water and take in one step at a time. you don't want to the weight to come off too fast.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    I agree with you. I would like to know if people are eating back all their exercise calories or not. I seem to be stuck because I have been. Just curious what everyone else is doing.

jmorris I truly this is one of the things we need to discover ourselves. If you're eating them back and still losing, wonderful! Keep it up. If you're not then stop eating them and see how you go. I don't think there's a one size fits all in that case.
  • kir911
    kir911 Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    I love to read about everyone's successes. I absolutely love to see before and after pics. But for those of us still struggling, how about some info on what worked for you. What exactly, with details, did you do? We can be inspired when we read it... we can be super inspired when we see the pics... but we can be super duper inspired when it comes with instructions. I know what works for one will not work for all, but it may work for someone. So how about it? Little help here?

Well...since I think I finally found what is gonna work for me I will share my experience so far...

I have been focused, driven and on task fully with this since the end of September. By that I mean I have not been overindulging, make excuses or looking for ways out like I used to. I truly was ready to get this weight off for good and was working out and eating right consistently! My husband is a personal trainer, so needless to say that aspect of things is well dialed in and taken care of. My struggle has ALWAYS been my eating habits. We have three kids and the habit of eating off plates, snacking while I am putting together lunches, and eating their snacks was doing me in. I also work night shift and I had a tendancy to eat out of boredom ALOT. Especially sugary snacks because I felt like they helped me stay awake when I started to fade.

So...I was eating what I thought were all the right things....lean protein, good fats (ie olive oil, avacado etc), veggies, fruit and what I thought were good starchy carbs like brown rice, whole wheat pasta, quinoa, oatmeal etc. I personally steered clear of bread & potatoes the majority of the time because I felt they worked against me. But, after almost 4 months I had not even reached the 20lb mark. I was averaging 2-3 lbs a month loss and the scale was all over the place.

Within the last week I have started following the paleo/primal way of eating. Eliminating all starchy carbs and pretty much processed food period. I am eating lots of lean meats, fats from olive oil, coconut oil, butter (yep butter), and the fat in the meat. I am eating alot of veggies and moderate amts of fruit ( alot are pretty high in sugar so you have to keep this at a minimum when trying to lose), and a moderate amt of nuts (again you don't want to go overboard here). At least for about the first 30 days I am also eliminating dairy, but I am pretty sure I will add that back in after 30 days. I had been leading up to this for probably the last month, eliminating most starchy carbs already anyhow and increasing my protein intake. In the last week, I have lost 3 pounds.

I really believe some people have an intolerance for starchy carbs/grains etc and their body converts them to sugar and fat instead of allowing them to be burned off. I seem to be one of those people. I am happy I seemed to have found what works for me. It may not work for others, but I am sticking with it. I have gotten this far and I am not looking back. The sacrifice is worth it to me. I entered ONEderland today ...the first time in 12 years I have been under 200lbs. I am excited! Hope this helps!
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    1) don't go cheap on the shoes. go to a running store if possible, get fitted even if you don't plan to or ever want to run. having comfortable shoes makes a world of difference.

2) find something you love to do. for some jogging on a treadmill is fun or using a eptilitical machine. I'd rather watch all the Twilight movies back to back than use machines for cardio. it's just not my thing. I'll go outside and walk/jog. I also like to swim and attend Zumba class. I suck at Zumba but I have fun and keep going back.

3) no matter how bad it is, someone out there has it worse and is still reaching their goals.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    So far so good, I've lost 19 lbs since October 22 an it's been funny, I've drifted around sampling all the different ideas on MFP except for the more extreme ones. Sometimes I've lost sometimes not. My plateaus have been pretty long (a few weeks sometimes) followed by bursts of weight loss. Now though and this seems to be most consistent, you can look at my diary, you will say omg I can't eat all those veggies, lol, that seems to be the first reaction of most folks. However, I see lots of folks with same calories complaining about their hunger. Trust me, I am never hungry except when I skip a snack since my meals are pretty much tailored to run out at snack time. Lots of folks talk about the need for snacks, tis true for many, but if you are at a desk job perhaps not. Here's my list:
    WATER (I do 10 minimum), GOOD FOOD (get rid of most or all of the junk), cook more or eat some raw, I eat lots of salad but I am weird and love spinach in anything.,
    PLAN AHEAD - stop forgetting your lunch, running out the door without breakfast (I used to do this, bad idea), do your prep the night before, it only takes a few minutes to pack your lunch, put all your snacks and stuff by the door and leave yourself a note that your lunch is in the fridge of your morning is crazy. I cut the veggies for salads and breakfast scrambles on the weekends when I have more time and that cuts food prep time way down, pull the containers, toss the veggies in the pan, (an some in the salad for lunch) whatever protein you are using (I only get 1500 sodium so its tofu or lowfat turkey, cooked up into crumbles and seasoned to be spicy without salt). You just made breakfast and lunch in like 20 minutes (I get up a bit earlier).
    MOVE - If you don't have time (or money) for a gym (I cut out my takeout coffee, lol, paid for the gym) then get some handweights or a couple of cans of soup, or a jump rope, hula hoop, video, stairs in your home (run up and down it's a heck of a workout., etc, there are endless ways to move more.
    EAT LESS OF THE WRONG FOODS - that's right, I know they say "Eat less, move more" well I can tell you i eat more now than ever but it's the right food.
    Well, thats the short list, feel free to friend me if you don't mind a message when I see too much junk food on your diary, lol or too little water.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i lost 80lbs so far but didnt find out about MFP until the beginning of this year .. i really like what MFP has to offer in regard to tracking what you eat in the food diary and also with the exercise.. i really like the community forum and also having friends on here i can talk to .. its a constant reminder on here to keep moving forward . none of my friends are very healthy with their way of eating and none of them workout but me so im a loner lol ...not on here ..i am surrounded by tons of folks who are in the same boat as me and that's a great feeling
  • crystal479
    crystal479 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I agree it would be nice to no what they ate and which foods we could copy
  • junyr
    junyr Posts: 416 Member
    Options

Have you tried stopping and see what happens?
  • wildpoppyfields
    Options
    I eat back some of my calories - but generally I eat about 200 cals more than I should and then I excercise them off and then some, so that I am left with 300 cals to spare. I find riding an exercise bike whilst reading, watching a DVD on laptop or listening to the radio is the quickest way for me to burn off calories.

Hope this helps :)
  • stubbysticks
    stubbysticks Posts: 1,275 Member
    Options
    I agree it would be nice to no what they ate and which foods we could copy
    I found this very helpful when I started, stalking other peoples' food diaries. For the first year+ I kept a food diary on another site, but have been logging here for several months now & my diary is public.

I have kept very detailed records of what I've done all along the way so I won't put it all in here. (If you're interested: http://stubbysticks.wordpress.com/weight-loss-summary-by-month/) Besides, it has changed multiple times depending on what my needs were & what I felt like doing at the time. The way you find out what works is by trying things out to see how your body responds to it. Change is good, as long as you're giving each strategy you try enough time to produce results (several weeks, at least).
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!