Chinese Take Out Advice

Options
Got 900 calories left for today if I don't have snacks this afternoon can anyone recommend healthy chinese dishes? We get ours from a place that does not use MSG sauces are a lot lighter. My son wants to try his first one so we are going to get a take out for the three of us so he can try stuff! So been very careful with breakfast and lunch.

Replies

• YMTaylor
    YMTaylor Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    I love chicken and broccoli and an average 1 cup serving is 300 calories so with rice you'd probably still be in the 400-500 range. MMMMM...chinese food. :)
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I just order steamed chicken and broccoli, tell them no rice- double the broccoli and get the sauce on the side. AND I have to have a spring roll :)
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Any meat and vegetable dishes w/ veggies steam and ver little sauce or oil. Chinese food dishes have some very good veggies like bok choy.

Skip anything fried/crispy or with heavy sauces like spareribs.

Soups are pretty good (even wonton is not that bad I believe, though egg drop and veggie are better) - just steer clear of the crispy noodles.

Brown rice.
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I tend to go for the szechuan chow mein. Chicken for less calories, beef if you're less bothered.
    Either way, delicious :smile:
  • AmandaCaswell1982
    AmandaCaswell1982 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    I just order steamed chicken and broccoli, tell them no rice- double the broccoli and get the sauce on the side. AND I have to have a spring roll :)

I do this too- and it tastes GREAT!
  • caramia311
    caramia311 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    Also -some chinese restaurants might have a "summer" roll option, which is similar to a spring roll but not fried. A healthier and delicious option compared to a spring or egg roll (go easy on the dipping sauce though!).
  • KristalDawnO
    KristalDawnO Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I gain weight every time I eat out. The salt content is incredible.
  • xcrushx28
    xcrushx28 Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    I usually avoid things like this because of a couple reasons. Most places prepare it slightly different so getting an accurate reading of the macros is difficult. Another reason is the stuff that I used to get and enjoy would have me go over my numbers, so in short Chinese food is not longer a viable option for me.

Definitely go with dishes like ThinningDownchick has mentioned like "chicken and broccoli" etc. Those are much lighter and easier to keep track of.
  • schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    If its a one off treat then why not just have what you fancy and then control your portion you eat? Its not going to really do any harm as a one off.. enjoy your treat! :)
  • skcornett
    skcornett Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Our favorite local place has steamed chicken dumplings that are out of this world. They also have a wonderful teriyaki chicken they serve with broccoli. Yummy!
  • SKHaz1
    SKHaz1 Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    My fav chinese is Moo Shoo chicken. Ask them for no rice, and light sauce, and no "pancakes" as they call them.
    Its a chicken dish filled with cabbage, carrots, green onions and chicken. So goood!
  • MinaAriel
    MinaAriel Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    You should eat snacks if you need them so you don't over indulge. As for the chinese food, my local one has a steamed menu. I usually get the steamed shrimp and veggies or steamed chicken and veggies. They put the sauce on the side so I can control how much I put in. It can actually be low cal though high in sodium. I usually get a soup to go with it like hot and sour or wonton.