How many calories per day???

Options
HI everyone,
I started using my MFP over a wk ago it reccomends i eat 1930 calories a day and when i exercise it gets into the high 2500's I really just wanted to do a 1500 but ive heard when u exercise and burn the more u eat . Any suggestions out there? should i use what MFP recommends or go with my own calories? Thanks:smile:

Replies

• Dave198lbs
    Dave198lbs Posts: 8,810 Member
    Options
    HI everyone,
    I started using my MFP over a wk ago it reccomends i eat 1930 calories a day and when i exercise it gets into the high 2500's I really just wanted to do a 1500 but ive heard when u exercise and burn the more u eat . Any suggestions out there? should i use what MFP recommends or go with my own calories? Thanks:smile:

it gets confusing with the whole eating your exercise calories.

the most important thing is to get as accurate as you can as to your caloric requirements and the actual number of calories burned with your exercise.

the whole eat your exercise calories is valid but it assumes you are calulating your actual caloric burn. SO...I eat "most" of my exercise calories and err on the side of caution.

other programs would set you at say 1500 or 1800 and just assume you are going to exercise everyday. MFP takes a day by day approach.

start with what they say and if it dont work adjust.

good luck
  • samntha14
    samntha14 Posts: 2,084 Member
    Options
    I would go with what they say. If you are fairly heavy to start, your calorie counter will be high, and as you loose, it will come down. Honestly I tracked myself for a couple days to see what I was already doing before changing anything being very honest with myself. I discovered I had no problem meeting the suggested calorie goal. It will help you avoid "starvation mode/metabolism slow down". I'm still getting used to "eat back your exercise calories" especially on the days I burn over 700. It's so counter-intuitive to EAT MORE. (SO I started with eating half~ just in case the computer is over-estimating.) Good Luck!!
  • hopenevins
    hopenevins Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    What do you do to burn 700 calories a day?
  • rockgal01
    Options
    There's a great formula you can use to help figure your calories. You will definitely be eating more than you anticipated though. You don't want to drop your calories too low because it will slow your metabolism. However, it is important that you know your numbers. Here's the formula:
    655+(4.35*weight)+(4.7*height in inches)-(4.7*age)=BMR
    With exercise:
    BMR* level of activity 1.2-sedentary
    1.375- light (1-3 days/wk.)
    1.55- moderate (3-5 days/wk.)
    1.7- very active (6-7 days/wk)
    1.9- extremely active
    Then to create a deficit to lose 1 lb./wk. subtract 500. NEVER consume less than 1200 and don't aim to lose more than 2 lbs. per week.
    If you ever have any other questions please feel free to get in touch with me.
    HI everyone,
  • JenniferH007
    Options
    I STARTED WORKING OUT LAST FEB 2011 AND WOULD ONLY EAT A APPLE AND YOGERT AND SANDWICH AND DINNER AND WORK OUT ALL THE TIME. AND FROM FEB TO OCT I ONLY LOST 5 POUND AND I EVEN HAD A TRAINER ONCE A MONTH UNTIL OCT -NOV I JOINED THIS SITE AND A TRAINER TOLD ME I HAVE TO EAT TO LOSE WEIGHT OR MY BODY GOES INTO STARVATION MODE AND WILL KEEP THE WEIGHT ON SO NOW I EAT 5 SMALL MEALS A DAY AND WITH IN THE THAT FIRST MONTH I LOST 15 POUNDS AND NOW I HAVE LOST A TOTAL OF 24 POUNDS IT COMING OF SLOWLY BUT YOU WANT TO GAIN THE LEAN MUSLE AND AND THAT WHAT KEEP IT OFF I USE TO BE 220 ABOUT 6 TO 7 YRS AGO AND LOST A 100 POUND REALY FAST AND GAIN IT RIGHT BACK AFTER I MOVED TO INDIANAPOLIS IN AND I WENT TO 190 AND I AM NOW AT 166.2 LOSING IT THE RIGHT WAY . SO TRUST THE SITE AND FOLLOW WHAT THEY SAY YOU WILL FIND THAT IT HELP WE ARE ALL HERE FOR YOU ( YOU ARE WELCOME TO ADD ME AS A FRIEND :-) )
    GOOD LUCK ON YOUR WONDERFUL OPERTUNITY
  • startover
    Options
    Stick to their guidelines for a couple weeks and see waht results you get. If you don't see any loss, then just try to eat 2-300 calories under their suggestion. Then see if anything happens. It's all about finding a balance :)
  • haysbeauty
    Options
    Thanks everyone!! as far as the 700 calories i burn thats just an estimate of what MVP estimates of the Turbo jam that i been doing . I appreciate all the advice . Just really new to all this and it kinda gets confusing at times. Im really gonna take it day by day..And find the right formula for my body. Losing pretty slow but i know its def better to lose it slowly . Just gets a little disappointing at times. I appreciate all the support . Thanks u guys
  • haysbeauty
    Options
    Rockgal 01 LUv that formula def gonna keep that in mind. And figure mine out. thanks a bunch =)
  • rockgal01
    Options
    Any time. I work with Beach Body so if you need any more help or advice don't hesitate to ask.
    Rockgal 01 LUv that formula def gonna keep that in mind. And figure mine out. thanks a bunch =)