Zumba - How Many Calories

Options
How many calories do you think are burned (roughly) from doing 30 minutes of the Zumba Cardio video? I tend to sweat pretty heavily when I do it, more so than when I just run on the treadmill.

Replies

• 2012x
    2012x Posts: 149 Member
    Options
    I can find out for you lol! Im going on zumba in a bit :)

Ive done 60-70mins on just dance burnt 487-503 calories, there shorter & have like minute rest between.
    (Im 174lb by the way)
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    Depends on factors like:
    weight
    level of activity (how intense you do it)
  • bambi_loves
    Options
    My instructor says upto 800 calories an hour, depending on how much you put into it!!! Xx
  • sirenvega
    sirenvega Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    In my Zumba Class I burn anywhere from 800-1000 cals in an hour (that's with and HRM) I have never tried the videos, so I don't know how intense they are.
  • RockChick1984
    Options
    i actually found out this morning from a guy on here that you can go to http://www.zumbacalories.com/ and find out how many calories you have burnt... hope this is of some help
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options
    It depends on a lot of factors. Before I bought a HRM, I was going off of what ZumbaCalories.com was telling me. Turns out that was about 200 calories more than I was actually burning! Currently, I'm burning anywhere from 500-600 a class. I should be burning more, but our class has filled to the brim with the New Year's "Resolutionaries" and there are too many people in the room...resulting in a slick floor from all the body heat anywhere from 30-45 minutes into the class. So a lot of times, I'm not putting forth 100% the last 20-30 minutes of class because I'm scared to death of falling.
  • kato24
    kato24 Posts: 4
    Options
    If you set up an account with Sparkpeople.com, they can give you that information with their exercise tracker. They have Zumba logged in as an exercise. I keep that account open so I can compare and log in information I can't get here. Good luck! I love that Zumba!
  • sirenvega
    sirenvega Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    It depends on a lot of factors. Before I bought a HRM, I was going off of what ZumbaCalories.com was telling me. Turns out that was about 200 calories more than I was actually burning! Currently, I'm burning anywhere from 500-600 a class. I should be burning more, but our class has filled to the brim with the New Year's "Resolutionaries" and there are too many people in the room...resulting in a slick floor from all the body heat anywhere from 30-45 minutes into the class. So a lot of times, I'm not putting forth 100% the last 20-30 minutes of class because I'm scared to death of falling.

I know the feeling!
  • szimba
    szimba Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I wore my hrm to the last two classes I went to and in the hour I only burned roughly 350cals.... very disappointing for me!
  • lround
    lround Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that said the average 150 lb. person burns 536 per hour of Zumba - Hope this helps:smile:
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    Thanks a ton guys! I'm thinking of buying a HRM but they are so expensive.
  • ncates00
    Options
    Use a watch and chest heart rate monitor. That way you know! You cannot really measure it without one, because you might be working harder or not than everyone else.
  • Alexstrasza
    Alexstrasza Posts: 619 Member
    Options
    I just read an article that said the average 150 lb. person burns 536 per hour of Zumba - Hope this helps:smile:

Do you burn more or less if you are bigger?
  • ncates00
    Options
    Typically yes. But still, the only real measurement is a good HRM. How else can you know how hard you are going? I recommend a Polar. I use one for P90x and Insanity.
  • bhalter
    bhalter Posts: 582 Member
    Options

Do you burn more or less if you are bigger?

I'm currently 234 and I burn anywhere from 500-600 per class.
  • chickybuns
    chickybuns Posts: 1,037 Member
    Options
    I used to put it in as aerobics high impact. I usually burn 8-10 calories per minute and I weigh 155
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    Depends on factors like:
    weight
    level of activity (how intense you do it)

yes it varies
    me for an example
    weight: 317
    height: 6'3
    level of activity: does "suck at it really badly" count as a level?:embarassed:

anyways my Polar HRM averages 700-1000 an hour for Zumba.
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options