weight loss & plateau

Options
I have a question about plateaus, the more i read on mfp, the more i get confused. Let me start off by telling my weight loss story, In september 2011 I was 147 lbs, by December 2011 I was 132-135lbs. Basically to me, that seems like healthy weight loss encouraged by diet and exercise. I took about a total break of 3 weeks or so the last 3 weeks of december. Today is January 28th 2012, My measurements have not changed since the begining of December, and im weighing in at 130, for about a week and a half now. Ive met my exercise goals, eg- minutes and calories, and typically im always at my 1200 calorie limit. I eat healthy food everyday, e.g salads proteins, such as chicken, ground chicken/turkey, 3 fruits a day. I am not hungry throughout the day ebcause i will usually have a snack in between my meals. I stay away from anything that comes in a box or package, processed does not help my weight loss. Maybe im just expecting too much, but i would have figured a pound difference this week. Am i at a plateau? My exercising is usually cardio, ellitpical, sometimes i change it up, the pace, or ill do a interval program, usually 60 minutes of it, 4-5 times a week. Im jsut confused and any input would help, because im half way at my weight goal which is 115. Please hhhheeeeeeelllllllllllllllllpppppppppp!! Thanks!!

Replies

• Amy911Gray
    Amy911Gray Posts: 685 Member
    Options
    I hit a snag around the holidays too. Didn't take any time off but did change things up. I exercise in the morning and started doing about 30-45 minutes at night on the elliptical machine. It jump started whatever was going on. Try it!
  • twinmama1987
    twinmama1987 Posts: 566 Member
    Options
    I have been stuck since December 20th. :/ I have not lost anything. But-- for you, I think you need to up your cals.. 1200 is not enough. :) try upping them to about 1500. -- I am also feeling flustered by my weight loss wall :(
  • katmegcantwell
    Options
    I ran into the exact same problem, and I didn't stop over the holidays. Instead of doing 45 minutes cardio at about the same time, my sister, who is a fitness and cardio vascular trainer, started having run as fast as I can for 2 minutes, break for 1.5, and do that cycle. As you get better you either increase speed or the time that you run really fast. It creates muscle confusion and has really helped to break up my work out. I do it every other gym session and do a regular elliptical on the rest days.
  • botography
    botography Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I hit a snag after losing 14 pounds. The weight loss stopped. Perhaps it is my age but I suspected my metabolism was the culprit. So I had that checked and it was lower than 1100. I then had a physical with all the blood work and found that I also had low thyroid. Under doctors care.... I wish I could underline that I am on a small doze of medicine and the weight is starting to drop off. However I am just getting started. No telling what a month will bring. I seem to have a set point.... 150 pounds, and I should be 127 at the highest. I am five feet tall. So I am back and still trying hard. I am not an exercise person. I would rather work around the house and I dance almost every evening.

I am looking for friends so please feel free to 'MAKE IT SO.':smile:
  • gigigirl003
    gigigirl003 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    First of all you are doing great and don't get discouraged. A friend of mine told me that a good way to run is 30 sec. run and then 30 sec. walk back and forth. She told me that it worked for her and of course now she run a lot. Try that and see if it works. There is probably just some little change somewhere that your body needs to jump start again. Good luck to you!
  • Mesha_yy
    Mesha_yy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Your doing, fine, and it's healthy, just dont stop!
    Otherwise you may find yourself angry that you didnt reach your goal
    Try weights, mix it up with upper half and lower half, focusing on weights allows you to gain muscle (eat lean protein too)
    The extra muscle will help metabolise your fats faster, and so you will loose weigt more

Good Luck Babe x
  • nmj1988
    nmj1988 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Ive changed my total calories, so im going to try about 1350-1400 cals, and im going to try to get weights in my routine 3 times per week, and keep my cardio 4-5 times per week. Ive got my wedding coming up in september, and im going to choose dresses on february 17th, im hoping to get down to 122-125 then!!! lol thats my goal anyways!:blushing: