Fish

Options
I am going to add fish to my new eating habits. The only fish I eat is Long John's and that is so I can eat tarter sauce. What fish can I eat that doesn't have the fishy tast and how in the heck do you cook it?

Replies

• sj58
    sj58 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Tilapia. I season it (usually cajun) and then bake it til it's flaky when you test it with a fork.
  • SexyCook
    SexyCook Posts: 2,253 Member
    Options
    Just to name a few....

My recent way was suggested by My pal...Pan-searing it... tap of olive oil really hot in the pan....Season fish to taste and cook 3 minutes on each side...Delish...i squeeze lemon on it afterwards...George Foreman is another great way...

ALSO on the recipes forum...I saw a topic on cooking fish..search there...

Hope this helps!
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    If it tastes fishy, then it isn't fresh.
  • cardbucfan
    cardbucfan Posts: 10,427 Member
    Options
    I am truly not a fan of "swim fish" but I love shellfish in all it's forms so eat a lot of shrimp and crab legs are a big treat. I do try and make myself eat swim fish probably once a week and I'll eat Tilapia, grouper and very, very rarely salmon (I HATE salmon but know how good it is for me and my husband loves it!). Search on the recipe forum for tilapia recipes. It's a very mild white fish so doesn't taste fishy and it's quick to cook.
  • julie781
    julie781 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I love salmon with any sesame ginger or teriyaki sauce broiled or grilled. Delicious!:smile:
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    I am going to add fish to my new eating habits. The only fish I eat is Long John's and that is so I can eat tarter sauce. What fish can I eat that doesn't have the fishy tast and how in the heck do you cook it?

my family doesn't like fish but I do... so I want to start introducing it into my diet too... I tried the uncle Gordons buttered garlic fish fillets and they were pretty tasty :-) and it is easy cause you just pop it in the oven :-)
  • caseysray
    caseysray Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    I love tilapia and mahi mahi. I usually either grill or bake them.
  • Curvy1taliana
    Curvy1taliana Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    Sure it doesn't taste "fishy" but tilapia is the worst type of fish you can eat - good for the environment, bad for humans.
    It's a farmed fish and most of the tilapia comes from China which is unregulated and known for irresponsible farming. I wouldn't touch it, but that is just me. Hormones, antibiotics and all sorts of junk..literally.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thesalt/2011/11/10/142220310/farmed-tilapia-with-a-dash-of-antibiotic

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/05/02/science/earth/02tilapia.html?_r=1&pagewanted=all&fb_source=message

Stick to wild caught whenever possible, and know where the origin of the fish was.
  • cmcole2012
    cmcole2012 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Pretty much any fish you get from a quality grocer should be fresh and not "fishy". Grilling, baking, or pan-searing is generally the way to go with cooking it. Cooking time is dependent on the type of fish and thickness but should be between 4-10 minutes total cooking time for any preparation.

My personal favorites are yellowfin tuna, mahi mahi. These fish are very meaty and delicious. I typically pan-sear them with a taste of citrus juice (lemon or lime) and a bit of herbs/spices. Also, another great thing about high quality fresh fish suck as tuna steaks is that you can cook the fish to desired temperature. It is perfectly fine to eat sashimi grade tuna/salmon/etc, at a more rare temperature.

Hope some of this was helpful.
  • Tammysueless
    Options
    Tilapia. I season it (usually cajun) and then bake it til it's flaky when you test it with a fork.

This is my favorite way too! I use a tablespoon of Andys cajun fish breading. rub it on both sides and bake at 400 for 4 min. take it out and turn it over then bake for another 4 min. I use Tilapia as it is not a strong fish taste. The cajun is spicy though!!!
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    There can be a lot of variation in what people think is "fishy" due to variations in taste buds(genetics), cooking style, freshness of the fish, etc. Google "non-fishy tasting fish" for lots of opinions and links.

Personally, I don't like fishy. Even non-fishy tasting fish tastes kinda fishy to me. And yet I was a commercial fisherman.

I eat canned tuna. I also love to spear fish, but only shoot what I will eat, which is:

Halibut
    White Sea Bass
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Try the white fish. However, I think the "fishy" taste is also related to freshness.

- Cod
    - Tilapia
    - Halibut

My favorite is probably pan seared tuna. I also like Mahi Mahi.....

It's all in how it's prepared and cooked. Now at 7:50am I'm hungry for some fish :)
  • wantmorepies
    Options
    I love fish, tuna and swordfish are very 'meaty' in texture
    salmon is gorgeous and the oily fish are beneficial.
    Sea bass and monk fish are lovely too without being too fishy.
  • ygrad2001
    ygrad2001 Posts: 230
    Options
    Thanks everyone! Now do you buy it fresh or in the frozen packages?
  • clarkane8
    clarkane8 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    Hello. I know what you mean I hate that real fishy taste. Tilapia, flounder, and cod are really good choices for good flavor without fishy taste. Other shellfish options are of course shrimp, crab, craw fish, scallops, and lobster (just to name a few). I always buy my fish frozen. I like to cook it in foil packs. It comes out the perfect consistency that way (not too dry, and nice and flaky). What I do is cut a nice sized piece of foil. I center the fish on the foil and then season it. Seasonings I use are salt, pepper, garlic, lemon pepper, etc. I then place some chopped/diced onions on top of the seasoning, then a small pat of healthy butter. Then fold the foil around the fish making a sort of envelope (google how to make a foil pack). You set the fish in its foil pack on top of a cookie sheet or baking dish. I bake it for around 20-25 minutes at 350 degrees. Comes out really good, and of course you can play around with vegetables and seasonings. :smile:
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    Curvy1taliana makes a good point about pollution/contamination.

Fish is healthy for you, except when it isn't.

Check out http://www.epa.gov/hg/advisories.htm for some information on mercury, for example.