Night time snacking

Options
I work 12 hour shifts so my day usually starts at 5:30am and I get home about 8:00pm. Then about 9ish I get at least 30 minutes of a workout in and end with crawling into bed about 10pm. My problem is that I want a snack sooooo bad at that point. I have done great with my calories and exercise all day, but I can't seem to get that snack out of my head. So I cave, I snack. Granted 2 months ago it would have been chips and dip, but now it is twizzlers, air-popped popcorn, handful or chex mix. Any ideas on how to get out of this habit? Or is it ok?

Replies

• MARY1020
    MARY1020 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    :smile: I am so anxious to hear some suggestions, as this to is my exact weak point. I can do great all day, but its that snack time that gets to me. I too have change what I snack on, but want to get control of this part. I am glad you posted, now I know I am not alone with this.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I snack every night. I leave calories for it. For me, It's not when you eat, it's what you eat.
  • asafelkayam
    Options
    cut up some fruit and veggies and eat those instead
  • Tiffa0909
    Tiffa0909 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    If I'm hungry at night , I will have my snack as long as I stay withing my calories .
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    As long as you are not going to go over in calories, eat a snack.

I will suggest the chex mix and popcorn over the twizzlers. How you keep from eating those is to not buy them. :)
  • JamesonsMommy
    JamesonsMommy Posts: 771 Member
    Options
    I drink a cup of decaf tea.. So far peppermint tea kicks the cravings the most.. Green tea also works :)
  • fallenangelloves
    fallenangelloves Posts: 601 Member
    Options
    IT'S natural to be hungry after you exercise.... I agree that you should eat a healthy snack and stay within your calories. But can you not switch to morning exercise instead?
  • Nlovelace04
    Nlovelace04 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    This is my worst time of day also! Kids are in bed, I'm relaxed... I head to the kitchen. I don't know why - I'm like a moth to the porch light.

Anyway... I've also been experimenting with decaf teas. I enjoy coffee in the morning, but I load it up with cream and sugar and even with decaf coffee, I don't want to do that late at night.

I'm loving peppermint tea. Just plain. No sweetener. And Wild Blueberry and Acai Tea with a tablespoon of honey. On the nights I'm resolved to be good, it works well and is very satisfying!

But I still have my bad nights - don't know what to do about those days when I'm just totally deflated and don't feel like making good decisions...
  • auntiebabs
    auntiebabs Posts: 1,754 Member
    Options
    Rather than fighting your body work with it. I say plan for it.

Experiment with healthier options that will satisfy your cravings... If nothing healthy is cutting it for you. Make sure you've gotten in all your nutrition for the day in, (i find that reduces my cravings) before you have a treaty kind of snack.

I think the odds of sticking to it are better if you come up with something "livable"
  • HMonsterX
    HMonsterX Posts: 3,000 Member
    Options
    Just eat less in the day to allow for late night snacks.

I always make sure im 500 cals light by the time i go up to bed, so i can have the snacks i want! :D
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Are you eating any protein after your work out?
  • aeharding1
    aeharding1 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    No I am not eating any protein after I work out. Didn't even think about that. Thanks.
  • Mesha_yy
    Mesha_yy Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Is it possible to change the time of day you workout, because post workout, you need something to refuel e.g. protein, so if you feel bad that your snacking at night time, just eat after working out maybe early morning, then when its within your calorie goal, you'll feel good

Plus a good nights rest maintains/increases your metobolism, and allows your body to repair itself

:)
    Good Luck to all
  • aeharding1
    Options
    I wish I could, 5:30am I am getting ready for work. I am just to lazy to wake up before that :tongue: Plus if I wake up earlier, I will wake the whole house up.
  • aeharding1
    Options
    I never thought about tea?? I drink green tea in the morning. Yes, I am making all my goals. Calories are good, fat, sugar...check. I guess I just feel guilty snacking 30 minutes before bed.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    Are you meeting your weight loss goals? Are you staying within your calorie limit and meeting your nutritional goals?

If your answer to those questions is, "Yes," then don't fight with success. If the answer is, "No," then you may need to look at rearranging your calories to include that night time snack or go with out it.
  • aeharding1
    Options
    This is my worst time of day also! Kids are in bed, I'm relaxed... I head to the kitchen. I don't know why - I'm like a moth to the porch light.

Love it!
  • 175bymarch31
    Options
    I also get a pang for an evening snack. It's hard to ignore it and hope it goes away. The trick is to stop buying the bad snacks in the first place. When the evening urge approaches you're limited to what's in the cabinet. If I want something crunchy I'll have pistachios with a glass of lemon seltzer. It takes time to pop the shells open so it's slow snack, you can sit and enjoy it for 10-15 minutes. Or lately I'll eat two or three clementines. Another slow snack that you can sit and enjoy, and full of flavor.
  • LiquidSugarr
    LiquidSugarr Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts so my day usually starts at 5:30am and I get home about 8:00pm. Then about 9ish I get at least 30 minutes of a workout in and end with crawling into bed about 10pm. My problem is that I want a snack sooooo bad at that point. I have done great with my calories and exercise all day, but I can't seem to get that snack out of my head. So I cave, I snack. Granted 2 months ago it would have been chips and dip, but now it is twizzlers, air-popped popcorn, handful or chex mix. Any ideas on how to get out of this habit? Or is it ok?

It's not biggie. I know a lot of people say that if you eat late at night you'll gain weight, but that's a crock of *kitten*. It's been proven that eating at night doesn't make you gain weight if you stay within your calorie intake limit. If you sleep for eight ours you burn about 2,000+ calories.. Depending on how much you weigh.
  • Asprina
    Options
    I have 4 kids and after they all head off to bed, I find myself having the munchies also. I have been going for one of those yo-plait lights that are desert flavors like apple turn over or black forest cake and they have actually been working!

Also after workouts I will drink a gnc lean shake. They come in vanilla, chocolate and strawberrys and cream (my favorite). They are easy to make, low calories, and have 9 grams of protein in them. They are also sweet tasting to me (almost like having a mcdonalds shake) I use a blender and I add 1/2 cup of ice to 1/2 cup of water put it in and wa la a thick shake! I LOVE them!