Genetically modifed wheat

Options
ninerbuff
ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
So I had a conversation with a friend and we were discussing Penn and Teller's "Bullsh*t" show. One of the topics that I really liked was on food. And one the topics covered GM wheat to be grown in countries that have a lot of families suffering from famine. Of course some of the corrupt governments (like in Africa) refused the help because they knew that it could void some of their power over the people.
But I don't see why GM wheat shouldn't be used to help feed people who direly need it. Yeah, yeah we're gonna hear from many "naturalists" but I can almost bet that those who claim they haven't ate genetically modified food, probably have without even thinking about it.
Also wouldn't this also be an opportunity to get some information and study on GM wheat for human consumption. I'm not condoning "human guinea pigs", but the reality is that if these starving people keep starving, they will end up dying anyway. I'd rather have proof that it's safe for human consumption than just speculation.
To understand what I'm saying, if someone had a cancer that doesn't respond to conventional treatment, and now we have a protocol that shows great promise, shouldn't it be "trialed" if the patient wants it and outcome is going to be a near future death even if the protocol isn't tried?
What do you think?

A.C.E. Certified Personal Trainer
IDEA Fitness member
Kickboxing Certified Instructor
Been in fitness for 28+ years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

Replies

• MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Sound idea which means it will not see the light of day in our lifetime.
    Starvation is a great motivator.....:ohwell:
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    Wheat is evil.

GMO foods are evil.

Therefore genetically modified wheat will cause a rip in the time-space continuum, causing the end of the known universe.

I hope you're satisfied.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    Wheat is evil.

GMO foods are evil.

Therefore genetically modified wheat will cause a rip in the time-space continuum, causing the end of the known universe.

I hope you're satisfied.
    I like a lot of evil. Keep bringing the processed foods and diet soda!!!!

IDEA Fitness member
  • Munchi8175
    Munchi8175 Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    I agree whole-heartedly. If these people would starve to death anyway, I think that anything with nutritional value has got to be better then nothing. In my opinion, naturalists that would be opposed to such a plan have never known what it is to be TRULY starving. People that are truly starving would eat a Big Mac if it was available and it meant staying alive for another day! What is the old saying? Oh yeah! Beggars can't be choosers. Not to say that these people are begging, but they know they need food to stand a chance and I doubt they will say what they're being offered isn't good enough.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    I read a book called The Gluten Connection. It was an eye opener. It talks about the genetic mutation of wheat during the industrial revolution. Even whole wheat is not true, it is a mutation.
    Wish gluen free products were more affordable and available to purchase in the regular market.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    it is a mutation.

Everything you eat is "a mutation"

YOU are "a mutation"

That's how the evolutionary process works.
  • dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Maybe you were but I wasn't created in a lab. sorry.
    But you keep posting any rediculous statement you want. :yawn:
    Not biting. :wink:
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    it is a mutation.

Everything you eat is "a mutation"

YOU are "a mutation"

That's how the evolutionary process works.

Human invention >>>>>>>>>>>>> Human evolution
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a troll here, but I have some honest questions about this idea of giving GMO wheat to people in starvation circumstances.
    1) Is it reasonable to ask/expect that the companies that spent millions, if not billions, of dollars developing GMO wheat to give it away for free (which presumably would be necessary to get it to people in these countries)?
    2) Is there any evidence that GMO wheat will grow better in places where famine is a problem, or has GMO wheat been designed to grow in more favorable conditions? Another way to think about this is, what problems were the GMO wheat strains in question designed to address, drought, certain pests?
    3) In practice (farming), it is notoriously difficult to keep GMO species separated from non-GMO species of crops. What will we do if there are problems with the GMO crops, and they cross-breed with existing strains, having the net effect of making things worse for people in developing nations that already have food shortages?

If anyone has reasonably good (preferably based in published research) to these questions, I'd love to see it.
  • Bentley2718
    Bentley2718 Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options

Mutations happen in nature all the time. As earlier posters have stated, mutation is how evolution works. However, GMO products are more than a mutation. For example, (entirely natural) genetic mutation makes Siamese cats darker on the cooler parts of the body (i.e. the extremities), giving them their distinctive coloring. In contrast, a complex manipulation that involves splicing genes from one organism into another, makes some "designer" rabbits glow in the dark. The process is very different.
  • veganbaum
    veganbaum Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    If people want to eat genetically modified crops, honestly I couldn't care less about what they do. I do care about the fact that in order to test them they obviously have to be grown in the environment and it's impossible to contain contamination. Seeds will be blown into the surrounding environment and it just becomes impossible to contain.

I just see no reason to start growing genetically modified crops when there is enough food waste in the world to feed the starving. It's not about the amount of food grown in the world, it's about access to the food that is grown. As mentioned, in many of the starving countries there are very corrupt governments. That is one of the biggest obstacles. Even if GMO crops were grown there, that government would still control them and there would still be starving people. I think the larger picture is being missed and if the point is to grow genetically modified wheat actually in the countries, that's not going to solve the hunger issue for many of them. For others, it would make more sense to attempt to grow native plants that are already adapted to the environment if that is a possibility before resorting to GMO monoculture cultivation. But again, in the end I think a better focus is on the current food waste in the world and *access* to food issues.
  • GadgetGuy2
    GadgetGuy2 Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    In genetics, a mutation just means a change to the DNA.

When a bacterium develops antibiotic resistance, that's a change in the DNA (i.e. a mutation).

Don't apply the Hollywood definition of mutant to the natural world. The natural world is reality, Hollywood is not.
  • LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options

Ron's statement is absolutely not ridiculous.

Whether you like it or not, mutations occur in your genome on a very frequent bases.

This is basic science. No lab needed.

And frankly no need to fear the mutations. Most people don't have any problem at all when their DNA is damaged. Your body is so freakin' awesome, it repairs the damage and you're fine. If it happens to repair it wrong, you're still probably fine because what are the odds that damage will occur in something important? And if it does occur in something important, that cell will self-destruct and you're good. If it doesn't self-destruct, it will probably get recognized by the immune system as 'not -self' and it will be destroyed. If it doesn't get destroyed by the immune system, it might, might, might grow. It really depends on where the mutation is. If it grows, it might might might metastasize.

Maybe... big maybe... the mutation will be created in a germ cell (eggs for women, sperm for men). If that happens, well, you could give birth to a child with a new genetic disease... or with gills (okay, I'm joking about the gills, sorta). But you get the idea. Possibly, just possibly, the mutation might give the child a better chance at survival and that child will live longer, have more children, and pass those good genes on to his/her child.

This is life. It happens. There is absolutely no denying this process. It's science.

About GMOs specifically, I have no problem eating them. I have no problem with anyone else eating them. I have (as promised) been reading more about them and I do have concerns, especially with the plants engineered to withstand round-up. I'm concerned not by the plant but by the possible environmental impact of using round-up so freely.

I do think we need to be careful with GMOs. I've also been told and have read to verify the claims that there are some unintended, unforeseen consequences- proteins that are expressed that we didn't want expressed, growth patterns in the lab that are ideal that aren't repeated in the farmer's field, and so forth, but this is not enough to make me fear them.

When it comes to countries with starving people, absolutely positively I think we should be getting hardy plant seeds to them that will grow, that will produce, that will save lives, and if GMOs can do that, so be it.
  • ninerbuff
    Options
    I'm not trying to be a troll here, but I have some honest questions about this idea of giving GMO wheat to people in starvation circumstances.
    1) Is it reasonable to ask/expect that the companies that spent millions, if not billions, of dollars developing GMO wheat to give it away for free (which presumably would be necessary to get it to people in these countries)?
    2) Is there any evidence that GMO wheat will grow better in places where famine is a problem, or has GMO wheat been designed to grow in more favorable conditions? Another way to think about this is, what problems were the GMO wheat strains in question designed to address, drought, certain pests?
    3) In practice (farming), it is notoriously difficult to keep GMO species separated from non-GMO species of crops. What will we do if there are problems with the GMO crops, and they cross-breed with existing strains, having the net effect of making things worse for people in developing nations that already have food shortages?

If anyone has reasonably good (preferably based in published research) to these questions, I'd love to see it.
    Read up on what this guy did for India.

http://reason.com/archives/2000/04/01/billions-served-norman-borlaug/singlepage

IDEA Fitness member