Help with alcohol?

Options
Help me. How do I determine calories in alcoholic mixed drinks? I am going on a girl's night tonight and I want to treat myself to a drink (or three) but the database seems all over the place. I looked up "Cosmopolitan" and got a range of calories from 99 to 600. WHAT? How do I know what I am getting in the average drink at an event bar?

Replies

• 970Mikaela1
    970Mikaela1 Posts: 2,013 Member
    Options
    if you know whats in it i would kinda roughly calculate the ingredients separately so at least you will have the general range of what you plan on drinking
  • JennaM222
    JennaM222 Posts: 1,996 Member
    Options
    skip cosmos, margs, etc. they al have extra sugar.

Go with a good vodka and soda water, lime & lemon. :) about 70-80 cals
  • sunkisses
    sunkisses Posts: 2,365 Member
    Options
    I'm always willing to help with some alcohol :wink:

If you don't find the answers you're looking for (break drinks down to their ingredients, and look for them individually), choose to drink only 1 or 2, and commit to working out when you wake up tomorrow, and then again later in the day. "Pay" for it, so to speak. But have a good time and drink what you want.
  • a_acosta80
    Options
    This always helps me

http://www.sparkpeople.com/calories-in.asp?food=cosmopolitan

i have always estimated about 55 cals per ounce when I got out. I would rather estimate high then be too low.

Hope this helps.
  • AudreyKorshoff
    Options
    The best "diet-friendly/diabetic friendly" drink you can have is scotch/whiskey - it's got the least amount of calories but also doesn't convert to a high amount of sugar, like vodka or rum. Plus, you can water it down & sip on it... and it's really good. My personal favorite is Dewars & water.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Or you can stick to easier mixes like whatever hard alcohol you like and diet soda. Then you know the soda is zero cals and you can usually find how much is in the straight booze pretty easily. I like Captain Morgan and Coke Zero at home (about 60 calories total). Or if you like Cosmos ,maybe go with a Vodka Cranberry instead...
  • missigus
    missigus Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I usually count the number of shots going into the drink. Being a former bartender I know some of them, or you can look up the recipe online or in a bar book, but most martini's have approximately 2 shots of alcohol (2 ounces) and another shot of juice of some sort, which is another ounce. And in a cosmo there is a dash of Roses Lime. So say a tablespoon. Your best bet is to find the ingredients in what you plan to drink and look up the ingredients seperately- then you will get a more accurate count. It won't be dead on, but it should be closer I would think. Or Just stay with flavored vodka and soda with a lime about 90 cals, michelob Ultra for 95, or another option if you want something a little sweet but not killer is a Press. 1/2 soda and 1/2 7up. Say for example a Bacardi Dragonberry Press with a lime or something like that (there's so many flavors to choose from now)...I have estimated to be be around 150 calories. Have fun with the girls! We still need to enjoy life, but just in a wiser way! :bigsmile:
  • cherigurl
    cherigurl Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I have heard that Barcardi, and diet pepsi or diet coke is the best, it has no calories. Which i am hoping is true because I switched from beer to my new fav drink, Cherry Barcardi and diet pepsi
  • TheVulcanLover
    TheVulcanLover Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    Think I figured out what I am going to do. I will opt for diet coke mixes. Rum and diet coke seems to be between 65 and 78 cals depending on the rum used and my FAVORITE Disarrono is 110 cals. So maybe a rum and coke and an amaretto and diet coke. :) Thanks for the help all.
  • Kimsied
    Kimsied Posts: 232
    Options
    Usually you can find calorie count for a shot of the specific type of alcohol. The problem is knowing how much they put in the drink. And if you know the mixer you can look that up or just stick to no/very low calorie mixers you have an easier time figuring it out. So it sounds like you've figured it out.
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Jack and Diet Coke!
  • lucki_2004
    lucki_2004 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    check out www.getdrunknotfat.com :)