Numb Toes during workout

Options
Wondering if anyone has any insight. During cardio workouts with repetitive motion (ellipses, cross trainers, steppers) my toes on the outside of my feet become numb? If I stop and stretch and wiggle, things return to normal. Shoes? Or maybe something more critical?

Replies

• joanneonline
    Options
    This happens to me too when I'm on the elliptical. I did notice that if I make sure my heels are flat and my weight shifts from being on my toes, the numbness stops. I'm just guessing, but it may have to do with the stance. If anyone has other insight, please share. (Thanks for asking the question!)
  • effyx1
    effyx1 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem on the elliptical. At the time, I thought it was because I was so heavy and putting extra pressure on my feet. Turns out, that wasn't the problem. I nearly got rid of the problem by doing a few things:

1. No shoes. I work out barefoot or only in socks.

2. Add extra padding to the pedals. My pedals are hard plastic with no padding, and while my feet didn't go numb without the padding, I couldn't go a full workout without stopping.

3. Be aware of where you are putting the pressure on your foot. I found that I was putting all the pressure on the ball of my foot and just bouncing off it. When I really focus on my foot placement and how it fell (try to recreate what it's like walking/running), the numbness doesn't happen.
  • ksm5
    ksm5 Posts: 12
    Options
    Thanks! I am going to try it all. Much rather have something like a different posture or the way I land on my feet be an issue. I talked with a chiro and he believes that it there is not improvement with adjustments, it may be time to see a cardiologist. I think it is something much more simple at this point.

Thanks for your feedback!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • Bexx435
    Bexx435 Posts: 83 Member
    Options
    I used to have the same problem on the elliptical. At the time, I thought it was because I was so heavy and putting extra pressure on my feet. Turns out, that wasn't the problem. I nearly got rid of the problem by doing a few things:

2. Add extra padding to the pedals. My pedals are hard plastic with no padding, and while my feet didn't go numb without the padding, I couldn't go a full workout without stopping.

3. Be aware of where you are putting the pressure on your foot. I found that I was putting all the pressure on the ball of my foot and just bouncing off it. When I really focus on my foot placement and how it fell (try to recreate what it's like walking/running), the numbness doesn't happen.

I have this same issue, so thanks for the tips... I'm going to go try them out right now!
  • nmj1988
    nmj1988 Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Hey i was going to make a post about this!! i notice when i wear different shoes it happens.... I am on the elliptical 4-5 times per week for 60 minutes each time, and it usually starts with me after 30 mins. I have a new pair of shoes, they are really form fiting adidas, really light weight, and i notice it doesnt happen.... also i move with the rythm of the elliptical.... almost like a heel to toe action, and for me this has worked with the numbness. I tried my other 2 pairs of shoes last week that i used to wear on the elliptical and i had the numbness again.... So maybe investing into those form fitting shoes, almost like wearing nothing, and move with the elliptical (heel to toe)
  • Ajaay
    Ajaay Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the tips, I have the same problem.
  • amycarol59
    amycarol59 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
  • sofitheteacup
    sofitheteacup Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I have noticed this too and got concerned about what it could mean as far as blood circulation! Thanks for sane ideas to keep me from going off the deep end with my paranoia, guys.
  • sandy729
    sandy729 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. My right foot usually starts hurting after 30 mins on the elliptical. I tried my flats and the pain went away.
  • HauteP1nk
    HauteP1nk Posts: 2,139 Member
    Options

I have this same issue, so thanks for the tips... I'm going to go try them out right now!

Great tips. I will have to try some of these out. I have the same issue too...especially on the eliptical!
  • laddyboy
    laddyboy Posts: 1,565 Member
    Options
    after 20 mins on eliptical it happened to me. I stopped using that machine and problem went away. LOL...no really it did.

Anyway, it was also doing it when I ran. I went and got fitted for running shoes and problem went away. The thing is when we workout out fee swell and the shoe that fit before we started no longer fit. I now by my running shoes a size bigger. No more numb toes.
  • bethvandenberg
    bethvandenberg Posts: 1,496 Member
    Options
    I found that I had to lessen my shoe laces when on the Ellip across the ball/arch area of my foot.
  • Trail_Addict
    Trail_Addict Posts: 1,350 Member
    Options
    Try loosening your laces or repositioning your feet.
  • lisapr123
    lisapr123 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    You might want to consider getting fitted for shoes. I experienced some numbness and general discomfort, until I got fitted for running shoes. Turns out in my daily shoes (mostly heels) I have a normal width foot. I needed running shoes that are slightly wide, have some stability control and...must to my surprise...were a full size larger than my old ones to give extra room in the toe box.

Now I feel like I can run or use the elliptical forever! Never knew how much pain I was actually in until it was gone :) Good luck!
  • HarlCarl
    HarlCarl Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    I had a similar issue on the eliptical I used in the gym at work. At around 20 minutes, my feet would start feeling (isnt this an oxymoron?) numb. I tried a different machine while on vacation, and didn't notice the numbness, even after 30 minutes. I've lost 30 pounds since then, without any numb feelings during a session...

I think it does have to do with the shoes being too tight or something.

IMHO

Good day.
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    That's interesting. My doctor said it was sciatica but sounds like it could just have been my trainers... X
  • Articeluvsmemphis
    Articeluvsmemphis Posts: 1,987 Member
    Options
    if you're just starting out that's normal. my hands use to go numb, it's fine now. my feet not so much anymore. but i do wear arch supports now, (from good feet store) they help a bunch
  • O2Bslimagain
    O2Bslimagain Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I don't use an elliptical, but I used to get the same problems with walking, running, treadmill, so I actually purchased mens shoes and it helped. Mens shoe are a bit wider, so when my feet swell while working out I still had room. I have used New Balance, Saucony and Asics. I found Saucony to be the best mens running shoe for me.