New to this. Need help to lose 200lbs

Options
I am 50 years old and had a weight problem my entire life. I started working a graveyard shift 3 years ago and have put on about 125lbs since. My weight has cost me my relationship, which also caused me to put on the extra lbs. I have started a lifestyle change on Monday and am now going to a physical trainer, 2 days per week. I just don't get the amount of daily calories per day the PT is putting me on. I think it is way to high to lose weight. I am so confused but I need to once and for all get my weight under control. I need to do this as I am very unhappy with my life.

Replies

• dls06
    dls06 Posts: 6,774 Member
    Options
    Log on everyday and you will have thousands of people to help. Welcome and good luck.:drinker:
  • TomsFZ1
    TomsFZ1 Posts: 12
    Options
    How many calories did your trainer say?

I work graveyard as well, so I know what it's like to sit at a desk all night, listening to the vending machines calling your name... :tongue:
  • masstang
    Options
    They have me on a 2700 calorie per day diet, eating 6 smaller meals per day, one being a protein shake. I am working out as follows,
    Mon - 60 minutes cardio,
    Tues - 60 minutes weights,
    Wed - 60 minutes cardio,
    Thurs - 60 minutes weights,
    Fri - 60 minutes cardio

Our problem is not the vending machines, its the 24hr Burger King and taco Bell and Wendys and Dennys that kills us but i have been bringing in my dinner so not to buy that garbage
  • californiahomegirl
    californiahomegirl Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm 52 and need to lose 100 lbs. I lost 110 years ago, so I know I can do it, but I gained most of them back when I stopped "doing it". Getting started is the hardest part. We're so used to instant gratification, and that doesn't happen with weight loss. Even though 200 lbs. is a lot, if you just keep on your weight loss plan and don't allow momentary failures to derail your train, you will absolutely succeed. I'm more and more honest with myself about my weaknesses and emotions and planning for those tempting times, which inevitably come, helps a lot. I've been on a weight loss journey since August, but just started on this website. I'm amazed at how my body has gotten more and more out of shape. It's not going to get better unless I do something--so I can relate to what you shared.
  • juwill33
    juwill33 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    They have me on a 2700 calorie per day diet, eating 6 smaller meals per day, one being a protein shake. I am working out as follows,
    Mon - 60 minutes cardio,
    Tues - 60 minutes weights,
    Wed - 60 minutes cardio,
    Thurs - 60 minutes weights,
    Fri - 60 minutes cardio

Our problem is not the vending machines, its the 24hr Burger King and taco Bell and Wendys and Dennys that kills us but i have been bringing in my dinner so not to buy that garbage

I thinks its because of how much you weigh and the work outs that you are on. You need to eat to get your metoblism burning, and so your body is not in sarvation mode when you work out so it burns what it should and not muscle. Think of how many calories you will be burning durning your 60 min workout then subtract it from your calorie count. Once you start losing weight your calorie count will drop. Trust in your trainer and everything will go great!!
  • JDavid007
    JDavid007 Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    Sent you A friend request!!
  • Olive32214
    Olive32214 Posts: 543 Member
    Options
    Bump. Running out the door, be back later......
  • BonnieSeng
    Options
    Hi, I am 52 and struggling with the fact that i need to lose weight. I am probably 90 pounds overweight. I have asthma, high blood pressure and have been this way for many, many yrs. I lost 3 pounds this week, but i feel like im "missing out" on the good stuff, because i always used food as comfort when i am stressed out.
  • yesthistime
    yesthistime Posts: 2,051 Member
    Options
    I am 50 years old and had a weight problem my entire life. I started working a graveyard shift 3 years ago and have put on about 125lbs since. My weight has cost me my relationship, which also caused me to put on the extra lbs. I have started a lifestyle change on Monday and am now going to a physical trainer, 2 days per week. I just don't get the amount of daily calories per day the PT is putting me on. I think it is way to high to lose weight. I am so confused but I need to once and for all get my weight under control. I need to do this as I am very unhappy with my life.

There's a group called "Need to lose 100+ pounds? Let's start a group" that is very active and supportive. I hope this link works:

http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/446578-need-to-lose-100-lbs-or-more-lets-start-a-group?hl=need+to+lose+100+&page=10#posts-6211800
  • trud72
    trud72 Posts: 1,912 Member
    Options
    Hi ya,
    RIGHT first i am going to tell you off...
    YOU HAVE NOT GOT TO LOSE 200LBS......you have to lose 10 lots of 20lb! RIGHT.....:noway:
    now it does not sound so bad and is ALOT more manageable...
    add me if you like i have tons of other helpers on the way
    trudy x
  • Kwithrow69
    Options
    YOU CAN DO THIS, LISTEN TO WHAT THE TRAINER IS TELLING YOU. REMEMBER THIS IS FOR YOU AND NO ONE ELSE. YOU CAN NOT TAKE PRIDE IN ANYONE, OR LOVE ANYONE UNTIL YOU HAVE PRIDE FOR YOURSELF AND LOVE YOURSELF. TRUST ME I DONT HAVE MUCH OF EITHER FOR MYSELF, BUT I AM WORKING ON THAT DAILY. THE BIGGEST THING I CAN TELL YOU, IS IF YOU JUST TAKE THE INTIAL MOTION, 2 STEPS, TO WALKING EVERYDAY, MOTION CREATES MOTION AND MOTIVATION. THE HARDEST PART IS TAKING THOSE FIRST TWO STEPS. TELL YOURSELF DURING THAT EXERCISE..I CAN DO THIS , DONT STOP, DONT WIMP OUT, I AM WORTH IT, THIS IS FOR ME...I TELL MYSELF THAT EVERY STEP OF MY 2 HOUR WALKS EVERYDAY..GO FOR IT..GOOD LUCK
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    Your trainer probably wants to wean you down on your calories. drastically cutting calories can send you into that starvation mode everyone talks about, which greatly hinders weight loss. As you lose weight, I'm sure he will also ask you to reduce your calories. You can always talk to him about your concerns. I'm sure he'd be more than willing to explain his thought process to you. Good trainers love to teach people how to live a healthy lifestyle, not just give orders on how to do it. Remember, this is a looooong process, but you can do it! Stick with it and keep the big picture in the back of your head but focus mainly on your weekly goals
  • masstang
    Options
    Thank You
  • masstang
    Options
    Thank You
  • SueGremlin
    SueGremlin Posts: 1,066 Member
    Options
    I just don't get the amount of daily calories per day the PT is putting me on. I think it is way to high to lose weight.
    You might not think it possible, but honestly it really IS that simple. I thought the same as you and decided, hey, what can it hurt? I'll give it a try.

It really is that simple.
  • nmitch1689
    nmitch1689 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    If you compare the calories the PT is putting you on, it's probably alot less than you were used to eating per day. As you lose weight, you will decrease your calorie level. I'm at 125 days logging on this site and I've set my goal to lose 1 lb. per week. I am looking at this as a permanent change in my way of living. I'm in this for the log haul and am not looking to win any contests for how fast I lose the weight. I keep telling myself, "This is not a DIET." It's been surprisingly easy so far and I'm looking forward to getting even more healthy and the support on this site is very encouraging.
  • countrygirl812
    Options
    The bigger you are, the more calories it will set you at. I'm at 1,830 without exercise, and depending on how long I workout, those numbers will go up into the 3,000's. You can do this. Just take one step at a time, and try not to focus on the big number. Set small goals, log EVERY SINGLE BITE of food you eat, and pre-plan your meals. Pre-planning has helped me tremendoulsy. Also, make sure you are drinking enough water. Just stick with it, and do not quit!