Whats more important Calorie or Sodium Count?

Options
I've been doing well and lost 8 lbs since I started my lifestyle change 2 weeks ago, I usually check Cal., Fat, Proteins, Sugar & Chol.. and have been very successful of Hardly ever going over my count in all of the areas listed. I've been looking though the site and I read that Sodium is a big contributer to weight gain/loss. So I switched it out to check my Sodium intake to my surprise it's way over like double what I should be eating. Not really sure what I can do to change my diet any further or if I should just stick with whats been working so far.

Replies

• Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Well if you're asking for advice, I would cut out the Dunkin Donuts for breakfast every morning. Also the Subway for lunch most days.

I think calories are more important than sodium. HOWEVER that much sodium and eating fast food every day is not good for you.
  • Redflower42
    Options
    I would say calorie count.
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Calorie count is more important. But your sodium intake is ridiculous.
    Stop eating/buying processed food.

Take some time and make your own meals.
  • BioQueen
    BioQueen Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    Sodium causes water retention, but will not really affect how much fat is on your body. The best way to eliminate excess sodium is to eat less processed foods and opt for cleaner choices. Sodium is found in a lot of deli meats, canned goods, soups, sauces, etc.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Not really sure what I can do to change my diet any further or if I should just stick with whats been working so far.
    Really? You can't figure out what you could do to cut your sodium? You eat Dunkin Donuts, Olive Garden, high-sodium turkey-and-cheese wraps, and canned soup every single day.
  • monst76
    monst76 Posts: 25
    Options
    Not really sure what I can do to change my diet any further or if I should just stick with whats been working so far.
    Really? You can't figure out what you could do to cut your sodium? You eat Dunkin Donuts, Olive Garden, high-sodium turkey-and-cheese wraps, and canned soup every single day.

Thanks For the friendly advise..lol :wink:

To be complete honest I've never taken any classes on eating properly and really was asking a question about what I can do in place of the process food. I can see that the choices I've been making isn't working on the level of the sodium. It seems like my choice with food have never been all that great, hence the reason that I was 448 lbs on December 31. Now I'm 410lbs and my choices have been a lot better the last 2 week I lost 4 lbs each week since I started this program and to be honest have been eating a lot more food. I figure this is something that I can finally do, I can eat not be hungry all day and still lose weight 2-4 lbs a week would be perfect for me. Then I see someone talking about sodium, so I check it out and it's ridiculous. I guess I got frustrated that every choice I make about food seems to have negative consequences. I was asking the question because I need help continuing to lose weight and make better choices to help continue my weight loss. Thanks
  • avk9802
    avk9802 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    Calorie count for sure but still watch your sodium intake.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Fine:

Instead of going to Dunkin Donuts every day, try eating some cereal or scrambled eggs.

Instead of eating canned soup every day, try making some from scratch.

Instead of eating processed food, try cooking.
  • KimbersNewLife
    KimbersNewLife Posts: 645 Member
    Options

Wow guys really? This is why my food diary is private...way to cut someone down!!! Shame Shame
  • janf15
    janf15 Posts: 242 Member
    Options
    They are equally important. Perhaps sodium is more important to start with. Water hangs on to sodium (weight gain) but with too much sodium you run the risk of high blood pressure.

Calories should be self explanatory!!! And looking at the comments. You really need to do an overhaul to your food. Enuf said.
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options

Wow guys really? This is why my food diary is private...way to cut someone down!!! Shame Shame
    Yeah, not too tactful.

But correct.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    ^^^ This. What was posted in response was just nasty.
    To be complete honest I've never taken any classes on eating properly and really was asking a question about what I can do in place of the process food. I can see that the choices I've been making isn't working on the level of the sodium. It seems like my choice with food have never been all that great, hence the reason that I was 448 lbs on December 31. Now I'm 410lbs and my choices have been alto better the last 2 week I lost 4 lbs each week since I started this program and to be honest have been eating alto more food. I figure this is something that I can finally do, I can eat not be hungry all day and still lose weight 2-4 lbs a week would be perfect for me. Then I see someone talking about sodium, so I check it out and it's ridiculous. I guess I got frustrated that every choice I make about food seems to have negative consequences. I was asking the question because I need help continuing to lose weight and make better choices to help continue my weight loss. Thanks

Hey, don't sweat it. People will try and get on their high horses, even when they're trying to help. (and I hope I didn't come off that way)

You''ve had a great start. Like I said calories are more important but you do need to cut down your sodium. Maybe try learning a new breakfast. Have that two or three times a week as opposed to the current Dunkin Donuts option. I personally do a cheese and ham toasted sandwich. At your size you'd need more calories than I do so why not two? You can make one for around 200-300 calories (depending on what brands you buy) and they're very, very simple.

You've also got a great start with your water. I would aim for four a day currently.

Baby steps. You can do this and you've had a great start!
  • Bosbes
    Bosbes Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    I think it's great that you're changing the way you eat. You are at the start of a journey :)
    For weight loss, calories are more important then sodium.

Changing your habits is extremely hard and the most important thing is to stay committed. If you try to do everything right at once, there's a big chance it would be too much at once. That would be discouraging. So I suggest you stay here and track your calories, read other food-diaries from successful losers on MFP and also look for other information resources. Try to educate yourself on healthy eating, maybe learn how to cook (it's fun!). And just remember to take one step at a time.
  • behind_blue_eyes_83
    Options
    Maybe start changing one thing per week? If you make your own healthy breakfast (porridge?) in the first week, and see how much the sodium comes down, and then lunch and so on. If you do it slowly and replace your current favourites with stuff you love, you shouldn't feel so deprived. I hate that feeling of 'doh! I thought I was doing really well, but I've been messing up with this thing I never knew about!'
  • bethdris
    bethdris Posts: 1,090 Member
    Options
    I've been doing well and lost 8 lbs since I started my lifestyle change 2 weeks ago, I usually check Cal., Fat, Proteins, Sugar & Chol.. and have been very successful of Hardly ever going over my count in all of the areas listed. I've been looking though the site and I read that Sodium is a big contributer to weight gain/loss. So I switched it out to check my Sodium intake to my surprise it's way over like double what I should be eating. Not really sure what I can do to change my diet any further or if I should just stick with whats been working so far.

If I were you I would start "batch cooking"...take 1 day a week and cook a whole pack of chicken, a package of ground turkey, and a pound of hambuger...Makes meals out of them where all you need to do is add side dishes. For breakfast drop the DD and make hard boiled eggs, eat nuts, vita muffins, fresh fruit..(that can al be eatin on the go). For lunches you can use the meals you cooked ahead of time. Then for dinner make something at home.

Add more fresh fruit and vegetables...you can do it! :)
  • docturtle
    docturtle Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I alternate...one day I watch my calories and try to scale back, another day I watch sodium and try to scale back, another day it's sugar...sometimes it's fat, sometimes carbs, and sometimes even cholesterol. It works for me...everything in moderation.
  • sarahbear1981
    sarahbear1981 Posts: 610 Member
    Options
    Calories are more important by far! Just make sure to drink lots of water to flush that sodium. You are doing great. You have started making small changes that have made a big difference for you. Just keep going one step at a time. Try cutting out a trip for fast food once a day at first and then go from there. Try making your own yummy breakfast sandwhich at home. Ignore the haters and the criticism. If what is working for you is working for you then keep on going! Good luck.
  • almomnc
    almomnc Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I have been guilty in the past about too much sodium in my diet so it's hard for me to tell someone to cut it out. I try really hard to never eat out. I have access to a few cafes where I work and I still bring in food from home. I am a Starbucks addict but I started making my fraps at home and I actually like my own better now!! It's fat free and low cal. It's hard to change too much at once but I knew the sodium in my diet was more about choices (fast and easy) than actually liking the taste of salt. Good luck!
  • vinylscratch
    vinylscratch Posts: 218 Member
    Options
    Sorry you've had so many nasty responses. I believe from my own experience that calorie count is way more important, but sodium will effect how much water you retain and what you see on the scale.

Do you drink enough water? You could try drinking plenty of water and swapping out your breakfast for something else to see how that works for you. For breakfast I love greek yogurt and almonds. Lots of protein, good flavor, and crunch. A toasted sandwich would be a great idea too.

You're doing great in taking these steps by the way! Keep it up and feel free to add me for some (friendly) support!
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    Calorie count. Sodium will not effect fat loss. It may cause you to retain a little water (but only a little) so you might not see as fast weight loss as you would if you cut down on it, but weight loss through lowered sodium is only water loss and can be put back on in a day. Calorie restriction is the only way to lose fat. By restriction, I mean eating less that you burn. Whatever that may be.