Night time snacking

Options
2»

Replies

• 7Joebass7
    7Joebass7 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    This is something I'm working on as well. I'm planning on hard-boiling some eggs a few days a week so I can have them as a snack at anytime. The whole egg is only 70 calories and the egg white alone is only 17. So having 4 without the yolk is less than having 1 with the yolk. I figure that should fill me up. Plus, I try to keep the sugar free jello cups on hand - only 10 calories and I've grown to actually like the taste - kinda like the switch from coke to diet coke. Lastly, I've been trying to keep a bag of cauliflower at there ready with lo-cal veggie dip. Filling and low in calories.

Good luck.
  • perrybucsdad
    perrybucsdad Posts: 36 Member
    Options
    I snack too and leave room for it. I think the popcorn is great as it is low calorie (depending on how you make it) and will fill you up.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    No I am not eating any protein after I work out. Didn't even think about that. Thanks.

Oh yeah, you need protein after you work out, preferably with in an hour.
    A chicken breast, a can of tuna or chicken (rinsed) temphe or tofu would be a good idea. I bet you see some better results when you add this protein to your diet as well.

Good luck
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    Try a whey protein smoothie made with a blender. I drink chocolate frost flavored whey shakes in the evenings to cure my sweet tooth. Made with water a scoop is 140 calories with 2 grams of sugar.
  • Skeemer118
    Skeemer118 Posts: 397 Member
    Options
    I also get a pang for an evening snack. It's hard to ignore it and hope it goes away. The trick is to stop buying the bad snacks in the first place. When the evening urge approaches you're limited to what's in the cabinet. If I want something crunchy I'll have pistachios with a glass of lemon seltzer. It takes time to pop the shells open so it's slow snack, you can sit and enjoy it for 10-15 minutes. Or lately I'll eat two or three clementines. Another slow snack that you can sit and enjoy, and full of flavor.

^ This. If you don't buy too tempting foods to begin with then you can't eat them. :) This is why my late night love affair with Ranch Doritos ended. ;)
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    I work 12 hour shifts so my day usually starts at 5:30am and I get home about 8:00pm. Then about 9ish I get at least 30 minutes of a workout in and end with crawling into bed about 10pm. My problem is that I want a snack sooooo bad at that point. I have done great with my calories and exercise all day, but I can't seem to get that snack out of my head. So I cave, I snack. Granted 2 months ago it would have been chips and dip, but now it is twizzlers, air-popped popcorn, handful or chex mix. Any ideas on how to get out of this habit? Or is it ok?
    First I tried gulping down a glass of water before I eat something (that way if I eat something I don't want to eat as much). I've found a good way to get out of the night calories is to drink certain spicy teas. I'm not a fan of tea at all but I started drinking the Cardomon Ginger Chai tea because I found for whatever reason I'm not hungry after...and I gotta say I'm starting to enjoy my relaxing night tea :P
  • CoderGal
    CoderGal Posts: 6,800 Member
    Options
    ^ This. If you don't buy too tempting foods to begin with then you can't eat them. :) This is why my late night love affair with Ranch Doritos ended. ;)

Ohhh man I had some cool ranch last night at a party for the first time in years. I didn't even know you could buy them anymore, delicious.
  • nicalass
    Options
    night time hunger is my biggest challenge, sum1 once suggested to me wen u feel hungry and u know its just out of habbit t drink a pint of water and hav a piece of fruit or i eat soup which seems t work too when water dont help :):wink:
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Lions, tigers and dogs are animals that all eat before they sleep.
    They have some of the lowest body fat%.

I read once about a study of people who eat before bed actually helps them sleep better and they didnt gain a pound.
    I started this and kicked my insomnia.

before bed every night I eat a heaping bowl of cereal with almond milk.

If you have something yummy to look forward to maybe the mindless snacking will stop because you know...cereal is on its way!

Hope this helps!

BTW: Meal frequency is a myth. You can eat whenever you want to lose weight or gain weight if thats your goal.
  • joeylu
    joeylu Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Sugar free jello with light whipped cream....40calories
  • daryls
    daryls Posts: 260
    Options
    Could you be thirsty instead of hungry? Maybe put a glass of water by your bed and have a few sips when you get the craving.

My husband is a night snacker and I am trying to get him to switch to snap peas. They have a great flavor and a nice crunch!
  • ThinningDownChick
    ThinningDownChick Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    If you have room for a snack, eat it. If not- try drinking hot tea, diet hot cocoa, sugar free popsicles (10 cals)... it'll add a few calories but it's better then the alternative
  • talzybob
    Options
    night time hunger is my biggest thing and its worse now im sticking to my calorie goals. my body hasnt got used to it, but since i bake my bcakes as they are gluten and dairy free i have that as a pudding and only a small small slice if not i eat mix fruit and nuts or some fruit instead. i also try not to eat after 7pm at night as i tend to pootle off to bed around 10 and just chill out before i go to sleep. my body is getting used to this now. and always keep a glass/bottle of water handy. when you want to munch on some food have that instead and teach your mind that you are not hungry and you only want to eat at certain times
  • silver9051
    silver9051 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I agree, protein snack would be best. How about some Greek yogurt? That's a little sweet too, and creamy. Maybe freeze for some "frozen yogurt?"
  • ew513
    ew513 Posts: 35
    Options
    It's completely OK. Especially since you keep the snacks healthy . great job.