failing to loose weight

Options
Hello all ,i'm Domsnan,I'm 66 ,weigh 285 pound ,i am very ashamed about that .I have been given a figure of 1760 calories a day ,and i usually earn 150 more walking ,i have a problem with food ,an emotional eater, and i am waiting for an appointment for cognitive behavioural therapy.i sometimes can not stop at my limit and eat enough to only loose a half pound a week,But the problem is ,i have not lost anything for weeks ,i have arthritis ,so cant do as much as i want and of corse my weight holds me back ,has any one had this problem ,and i must say i prefer snacking rather than proper meals .

Replies

• _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    Are you diabetic or pre diabetic? I was told by a nurse that insulin resistance will keep you from loosing. Then I researched on line -diet and exercise are the best things to prevent and help with insulin resistance/pre diabetes.
    Check with a Dr.
    I have felt the same way. That I should have been loosing more.
    I have 49% body fat... I am 250lbs. 5'10". 36. I have lost 4 lbs in 3 weeks. I eat 1370-1500 cals on avg. per day. And work out 2-3 days with cardio/walking/ hiking a week. I don't always "eat my exercise calories". And have been spot on or under cals at the end of the last 3 weeks.
    I am considering getting tested for insulin resistance.

Best of luck to you.
  • Figrating
    Options
    You're right to introduce yourself so you can get feedback from the rest of us. This is not easy for ANYONE or else they wouldn't be here.

You say you walk 150 calories but you have arthritis. What hurts and how does it limit you? My first reaction would be to double your daily walking to get your heart rate up and give you another notch of slack in your eating habits.

Drink your water.

As you continue to record your food intake, you'll become more and more conscious of where you're overeating and become better at the necessary self discipline. Protein seems to stem hunger better than fruits and vegetables; otoh, you can eat a lot of fresh fruit and vegetables to satisfy your cravings.

Be persistent. Hang in there and in there and in there.

F
  • krakenmama
    krakenmama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am only new to this, 6th day today. Initially I lost a bit (as you always do on a new plan) but for the last 3 days I have stayed at exactly the same weight. I am eating a little under my calories, not by plan, I am eating well and having snacks but my food doesnt come up to the calorie level. I know it says if you don't you will go into starvation mode and I understand all that, but if I eat more calories, then it blows out all the carb/protein/fat levels - I can't seem to find a happy medium. I am eating lots of fruit and veg and less protein than I was used to on other diets, but always my protein goes into the red. Again, if I upped the carbs at all (which sounds really silly to do) then my other levels blow out before my calories. Anyone else have this problem?

I am exercising every day, just some walking, gardening, a bit of bike riding occasionally so not like I'm pumping out the exercise at a mad rate.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    Hi - I am only new to this, 6th day today. Initially I lost a bit (as you always do on a new plan) but for the last 3 days I have stayed at exactly the same weight. I am eating a little under my calories, not by plan, I am eating well and having snacks but my food doesnt come up to the calorie level. I know it says if you don't you will go into starvation mode and I understand all that, but if I eat more calories, then it blows out all the carb/protein/fat levels - I can't seem to find a happy medium. I am eating lots of fruit and veg and less protein than I was used to on other diets, but always my protein goes into the red. Again, if I upped the carbs at all (which sounds really silly to do) then my other levels blow out before my calories. Anyone else have this problem?

I am exercising every day, just some walking, gardening, a bit of bike riding occasionally so not like I'm pumping out the exercise at a mad rate.

For now ignore the protein, fat, carb levels unless you have a really good reason to be concerned about them. Concentrate on quality calories from nutrient rich foods like veggies, beans, and lean meats.
  • krakenmama
    krakenmama Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Ok thanks, will do that and see how I go. Have added salada with cheese and tomato for a snack today which is something I have veered away from for so long as most diets are really down on carbs. These still came within my calories so I will work with that system for a while and see what happens.