Pain under knees when running...

Options
I tried running for the first time today. Not even the first thing of the c25k program i downloaded before it started being so cold, but just running a short distance to see how it feels.

Well it felt great expect that a bit below my knees hurt. Mostly whenever I stepped down but still a bit after I stopped. It isn't my actual knee joint, more like the top of the muscle in my shin... Is this something that means I shouldn't try to run? Am I doing something wrong? Or is this just one of those things that happens for a bit and then your body gets used to it?

It feels better now, pretty much felt better once I rubbed the spot a bit.

Replies

• ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    1) Have you been fitted for a proper running shoe?
    2) Some pain is bound to happen. That is why C25K starts slow and ramps you up over time, to get your body accustomed to the running.
  • Adieux
    Adieux Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I used to have this issue when I was younger and playing netball regularly. I went to the doctors and it turned out I have Osgood-Schlatters syndrome. It's characterised by a bump below the knee joint. It got better over time :)
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    Make sure you're landing on the ball or middle part of your foot and not the toes or heels.
  • whoaeyekneex3
    Options
    It could mean you don't have enough fluid in your knees. Don't run on concrete, it's terrible for your knees. Try asphalt.
    I get the same problem too and I'm only 19.
  • subvet1
    Options
    Sounds like shin splints. Make sure you streach before running. Do some toe raises on an elevated paltform for the shin splints. Also, go to a store that specializes in running shoes and get fitted for a pair. I go to a place in Columbus Ohio called Front Runner. They have you walk accross the floor and elvauluate how you walk and fit you to a running shoe.
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    To answer the questions, I was running on the sidewalk since that is where I'll probably run when I start more, unless I want to drive to the outdoor track at the park (which is that rubbery stuff that looks like asphalt)

I didn't get specific running shoes just running in my normal shape ups I wear everywhere since well I don't want to spend money on shoes before I know if I'll like running or be able to do it.

To the person with the comment about a bump under my knee... so I'm not supposed to have that? It has always been there, I though it was just the end of my knee but yeah the pain is just below that bump.

And I was landing just a bit on my heel, I thought that was how I was supposed to land I checked here http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html and from this it sounds like I'm also landing too hard.
  • kag1526
    Options
    I don't think there is anywhere that specializes in running shoes around here, we have a ****'s and Olympia sports and that is about it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    If it' keeps up, I'd go see a doctor if I were you, provided you're fortunate enough to be able to. Joint pain isn't something to play around with.
  • GlassslippersAndFairyDust
    Options
    And I was landing just a bit on my heel, I thought that was how I was supposed to land I checked here http://www.runnersworld.com/article/0,7120,s6-238-267-268-8210-0,00.html and from this it sounds like I'm also landing too hard.
    [/quote]

http://running.about.com/od/howtorun/tp/runningform.htm

Land Midfoot "Don't be a toe runner or a heel-striker. If you land on your toes, your calves will get tight or fatigue quickly and you may develop shin pain. Landing on your heels means you have overstrided and you're braking, which wastes energy and may cause injury. Try to land on the middle of your foot, and then roll through to the front of your toes."
  • racs80
    racs80 Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    i agree with maraDiaz you need to be careful and not over do it i usally have a problem with my knees and my instructor at the gym told me to becareful because you can do seriouse damage to yourself x
  • tbloor
    tbloor Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    When you feel the pain, try slowing your pace or walking for a bit and see if the pain subsides. I get shin splints when I set my pace too fast. If I slow down, the pain goes away. This happened more when I was a beginning runner than it does now that I have been running for several months.
  • paladeac
    paladeac Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I'll echo those who say to stay away from heel striking.

I'd gotten to the point where my knees hurt all the time - running, going up and down stairs, etc. then I switched to a more barefoot style (I now wear Altra shoes with a zero drop (i.e. no) heel) and the pain went away immediately. Heel striking puts an immense train on your knees. I order my shoes online.

You do need to get some good shoes for the sake of your legs and feet. Look at it this way - even if you don't run, you can always wear them for walking.
  • DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    Options
    A lot of runners pain is caused by improper stride. Have your stride evaluated . I had a heel stride for a while causing me a lot of pain. I changed it to a ball of the foot first stride. I am running faster and my pain is going away.
  • millionsofpeaches
    Options
    Was it in the front of your knee or behind?

If it was the behind it could be your IT band... They sell IT straps that will support the muscle in that area. You can find that at a running store.

However, if you just started a running program having not ran before or in a long time. It could just be your body getting used to your new activity or your body telling you to slow down a bit.

If you are going to be a runner... Ice is your new best friend. :) It's worth it.

Also, I went back and saw that you are not wearing running shoes. You NEED good shoes for running (not Shape Ups). Plan on spending some bucks but it is worth is. Also... GO TO A RUNNING STORE to be professionally fitted for your shoes. Do not go to a sporting goods store where some 16 year old kid slaps some shoes on your feet. New shoes = Problem fixed.
  • kag1526
    Options
    Was it in the front of your knee or behind?

If it was the behind it could be your IT band... They sell IT straps that will support the muscle in that area. You can find that at a running store.

However, if you just started a running program having not ran before or in a long time. It could just be your body getting used to your new activity or your body telling you to slow down a bit.

If you are going to be a runner... Ice is your new best friend. :) It's worth it.

Also, I went back and saw that you are not wearing running shoes. You NEED good shoes for running (not Shape Ups). Plan on spending some bucks but it is worth is. Also... GO TO A RUNNING STORE to be professionally fitted for your shoes. Do not go to a sporting goods store where some 16 year old kid slaps some shoes on your feet. New shoes = Problem fixed.

To those of you that live in a city maybe thats possible but there isn't such a thing as a running store where I live... they just don't exist.
  • CourteneyLove
    CourteneyLove Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    haven't read any replies to this but
    a trainer once told me that if your IT bands (muscles on the outside of your legs.. mainly inbetween the quad and hamstring) are tight it could cause pain in your knees.

try using a foam roller and roll it out!
    this link may be helpful

http://youtu.be/RoHBDim_fzk