Calorie Allotment

Options
I have a question about calorie allotment. Three of us all put ourselves down to lose a half a pound per week, but we were all given vastly different calorie allotments (pre-exercise). One got 1650, one got 1450, and another got 1200. Why are we all given such different allotments? And at what point did you see your calorie allotment change?

Replies

• cbb7855
    Options
    Height? Weight? Age? Gender? These are all factors.

Are you all identical?
  • lollipopgold
    lollipopgold Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Not identical. Two of us want to lose 20, one wants to lose 40. We're all the same age.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    Not identical. Two of us want to lose 20, one wants to lose 40. We're all the same age.
    The factors are height, current weight, age, sex, activity level, and how fast you want to lose. If all of those factors are the same and you're getting different results, you've input something wrong. But I doubt that's the case.
  • lollipopgold
    Options
    So is it the greater the weight, the more calories you get?

Because we're different in height and current weight, but around the same with age, sex, activity level, and how fast you want to lose.

Will the one at 1650 drop down to 1450 once she loses weight? Or does it not work like that?
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Will the one at 1650 drop down to 1450 once she loses weight? Or does it not work like that?

It works exactly like that! ~Every so often MFP recalculates based on your weight, so its important to log weight loss as well as food and exercise
  • melaniecheeks
    melaniecheeks Posts: 6,349 Member
    Options
    It's not an exact science. And no, MFP doesn't automatically recalculate as you lose weight, sometimes you need to reset it.
  • maggie4097
    Options
    So is it the greater the weight, the more calories you get?

Because we're different in height and current weight, but around the same with age, sex, activity level, and how fast you want to lose.

Yes, I think the daily calorie goal will decrease with weight loss. I am not 100% sure, just because my calories are 1200 no matter what I enter as my weekly weight loss goal or activity level. I think that's the minimum. My goal is to lose 12 lbs, and I'm only 5'1". Either way, you do what is most comfortable and doable for you. Some days 1650 will be more than enough, sometimes you'll be starving! lol Good luck!!
  • lollipopgold
    Options
    How do you reset it? And how do you know when you should reset it?
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    I believe it changes your calorie amount with 10 pounds loss. It gives you a message saying you're lost 10 pounds or whatever, and asks if you want to change your goals.