Women and the pill!!!!!!!!

Options
im really struggling to shift any weight im exercisig every day im keeping within my calories and its not budging not even getting inch loss my weight has escalated more in the last 3 months and i have eaten less than i did befor this time frame the only thing that has changed is my pill the doctor took me of yasmin.... help has anyone else had this problem.... can you reccomend another pill that has not hampered your weight in the past i have not struggled to shift the first few pounds only as i approach the 10st mark did it become a problem

Replies

• daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    I take gedarel and it hasn't changed me in any way :)
  • Tallyhind
    Options
    Hi, I stopped using yasmin and opted to have the mirena coil inserted instead. I haven't put any weight on as a result.
  • ChanyRae
    ChanyRae Posts: 112
    Options
    I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo for years and haven't gained weight.

I hate being on the pill tho and can't wait to get off of it! All in the timing :smile:
  • coquette87
    Options
    I've been on Marvelon in the past and I'm now on Seasonale. Neither have caused any weight gain for me. I don't know if our suggestions will be useful to you though. Every woman's body chemistry and natural hormone production is a little different, and what worked for us may not work for you and vice versa.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    I gained on the pill and it made me viciously mean and sort of queasy. Being pregnant is worse, though.
  • KCox8604
    KCox8604 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    At one point I was on the "depo" shot. It seemed to make me tired, hungry, and retain water. I am currently on a generic form of the ortho-tri-cyclen pill. I retain less water and have had succesful weight loss. I started Jan of last year and have lost 40 pounds. Def. something to talk about with your Dr.
  • ahinski
    ahinski Posts: 200 Member
    Options
    I am on Loestrin FE 24 and have lost 16 pounds in 20 weeks. (EDIT: But the pill had NOTHING to do with the weight loss--I've been on Loestrin for years, I'm just pointing out that this is what I take!)

I will say this though: Your plateau may have nothing to do with the pill--in fact, I'm not doctor, but I doubt it has anything to do with the pill.

Some "food for thought": Have you been doing the same exercises each week? Do you take a rest day from exercise to keep your metabolism in check? Do you do strength training (which builds muscle which speeds up your metabolism)? When you work out, do you lift little bit more weight or work a little bit more intensely each week or so? Do you workout anaerobically (find out what your heart rate should be for your weight and age to be in the anaerobic zone) or are you only working aerobically?

Your body reaches a plateau because it adapts to change very quickly. You have to keep it guessing! You might want to do some quick research on High Intensity Interval Training (aka "HIIT"), which is a type of cardiovascular workout that really tricks your metabolism and also burns 9x more calories than working out at a steady pace. As for strength training, research some workout programs that use "muscle confusion." This also keeps your body guessing so it doesn't get too comfortable.

And finally, consider your nutrition. Obviously you're staying within your calorie limit which is great, but nutrition is so much more than calories-in/calories-out. Unlike working out, diet should be more predictable. Generally fit people, people who do not struggle with weight that goes up and down, eat more or less the same things every day. They find healthy foods they like, foods they truly enjoy and look forward to, foods about which they know the nutrition info like the back of their hand, and foods that are 100% good for them and then they stick with those foods. Your diet should be mostly whole foods--get rid of processed foods, "diet" foods especially (the ones that contains artificial sweetners and additives). As those foods have little to no nutritional value, and without the proper nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, your body will NOT want to lose weight.

Also, get a good night's rest! Not sleeping enough can really slow down your metabolism.

Okay, you may already be doing all of these things, but before blaming the pill also seriously consider getting your thyroid and other blood levels checked. Good luck! Would love to hear how it goes!!
  • lilyvale68
    lilyvale68 Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    Seasonique is my favorite! You can get a low estrogen version if necessary. I found the higher estrogen caused some odd discoloring on my face called melasma. It has not seemed to effect my weight.
  • paigemarie93
    paigemarie93 Posts: 778 Member
    Options
    I gained 3 stone on the pill so I just came of it.
  • pinguina8
    pinguina8 Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I'm on Aviane, and it actually forced me to lose weight due to nausea. But once the initial sickness went away, my weight stabilized and I've been able to lose weight pretty normally (for me) ever since!
    Good luck!
  • StatutoryGrape
    Options
    I'm on Reclipsen currently, though I've taken a bunch of different types over the last eight years I've been on BCP (monophasics: Reclipsen, Lutera, generic Seasonique. Triphasics: Tri-Nessa, Tri-Sprintec, etc.). None of them have really affected me in terms of weight gain/loss, though some were harder on me in terms of mood swings, hot flashes, etc. than others.
  • PANZERIA
    PANZERIA Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    I enjoyed Alesse, but I'm off the pill since I can't lose weight on it. I've tried the shot and it made me gain 15lbs in two weeks, AND my period hasn't stopped since I started two months ago.
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking it and dropped about 5 lbs after a week.

I dont like the idea of the pill influencing my hormones. I feel a lot better without it.

I wouldn't mind a little insight into some other possible options though.
  • fetchfury
    fetchfury Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I stopped taking it Ovranelle, and it became a lot easier to loose weight. BUT i do think it was more hormones than actually 'loosing' the weight to do with the pill. When I was taking that particular brand I felt sluggish, moody and tired, so obv never bothered eating healthy or exercising.
    I came off it and my mood is fine now, and feel positive! i think you have to find a right pill for you.
  • Sheila1968
    Options
    I gained 10 pounds when I started perimenopause, and my doctor put me on Yaz to regulate my cycle and control the menstrual migraines that I started getting like clockwork. (I'd NEVER suffered from migraines or headaches at all until hitting perimenopause.) So I don't know if it is the pill/hormones adding to the struggle with weight or if it's just the changes in my body. I cannot lose a single pound even though I exercise and eat better than ever before. It's so very frustrating. Some day I guess I'll be through menopause and get off the stupid pills. The ironic thing is that I had my tubes tied 16 years ago, so I don't even need the pill for its birth control properties!!! Never used it back when I was still "functioning." :)
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I stopped taking Marvelon due to mood swings but that never made me put weight on

The downside to not being on the pill and weight loss is my boobs have shrunk.

I have a new pack of Yasmin I am tempted to start up on to help my boobs, as well as its primary purpose. But I'm scared it will make me gain weight!!
  • megansoriano
    Options
    I take Junel (The 21 day pill so I never have a period). This is the only pill I have had no problems with. Not only do I not have a period but I can't get pregnant! Love love love love love and its generic so it cost me nothing with my insurance.
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    I've definitely noticed more WATER weight when I've been on the pill, but in terms of actual weight I don't think there's a difference... for me anyway, I can tell when my body is just bloated. I feel squishy, haha & some pills have made me feel that way. generally lower estrogen ones are better for that since the hormones are "less intense."

but just keep plugging away. don't blame the pill, it's just trying to make you happy! ;)
  • Lioness102
    Lioness102 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I am on Loestrin FE 24 and have lost 16 pounds in 20 weeks. (EDIT: But the pill had NOTHING to do with the weight loss--I've been on Loestrin for years, I'm just pointing out that this is what I take!)

I will say this though: Your plateau may have nothing to do with the pill--in fact, I'm not doctor, but I doubt it has anything to do with the pill.

Some "food for thought": Have you been doing the same exercises each week? Do you take a rest day from exercise to keep your metabolism in check? Do you do strength training (which builds muscle which speeds up your metabolism)? When you work out, do you lift little bit more weight or work a little bit more intensely each week or so? Do you workout anaerobically (find out what your heart rate should be for your weight and age to be in the anaerobic zone) or are you only working aerobically?

Your body reaches a plateau because it adapts to change very quickly. You have to keep it guessing! You might want to do some quick research on High Intensity Interval Training (aka "HIIT"), which is a type of cardiovascular workout that really tricks your metabolism and also burns 9x more calories than working out at a steady pace. As for strength training, research some workout programs that use "muscle confusion." This also keeps your body guessing so it doesn't get too comfortable.

And finally, consider your nutrition. Obviously you're staying within your calorie limit which is great, but nutrition is so much more than calories-in/calories-out. Unlike working out, diet should be more predictable. Generally fit people, people who do not struggle with weight that goes up and down, eat more or less the same things every day. They find healthy foods they like, foods they truly enjoy and look forward to, foods about which they know the nutrition info like the back of their hand, and foods that are 100% good for them and then they stick with those foods. Your diet should be mostly whole foods--get rid of processed foods, "diet" foods especially (the ones that contains artificial sweetners and additives). As those foods have little to no nutritional value, and without the proper nutrients, vitamins, and minerals, your body will NOT want to lose weight.

Also, get a good night's rest! Not sleeping enough can really slow down your metabolism.

Okay, you may already be doing all of these things, but before blaming the pill also seriously consider getting your thyroid and other blood levels checked. Good luck! Would love to hear how it goes!!
  • Lioness102
    Lioness102 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    That info was quite helpful. I take the same thing & thought it was making me gain weight. When I stopped for a while I saw no correlation. So thanks for the tips!