Why aren't I burning more calories?

Options
Hi everyone. Let me start by saying, I love this site and I really value all the information you can gain from reaching out to the MFP community.

I just got a Polar HRM, which I think is the coolest little gadget. It has, however, been a real eye opener. I've been working out nearly every day (some times even twice a day) and initially I was using the calories from MFP's list of exercises. I assumed that these were over estimated, but had nothing else to go by until I got my HRM.

I am shocked and a bit disappointed that my readings from my HRM are so low. I have a couple of MFP friends who do the same workout dvd's with a HRM and their numbers are so much higher.

I guess initially one would say that I'm not putting enough effort into my workouts, but honestly I think I'm putting as much effort forward into my workouts as this body will allow. Is there an explanation as to what might be going on? Is it really possible that my body just "runs a bit slower" than other folks?

Very hard not to be disappointed by this new information, but it kind of "is what it is" so to speak. Advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I find exactly the same. I put a huge amount of effort in when I exercise. My HR is usually up around 168-170 when I run, and about 160 during aerobics, and I still only burn about 500 cals an hour running (quite fast - my 10k time is 54 mins), and about 300 an hour doing aerobics. I am usually about a third less than MFP calculates.

I think it's a sign of fitness, but it's bloody annoying!
  • Yanicka1
    Yanicka1 Posts: 4,564 Member
    Options
    I know the feeling. I am 4'11'' and usually burn 350 calories running for an hour. It is a sign of fitness but it is quite annoying.

How is your weight loss going? If you lose more , it might mean that your HRM is underestimating your calories burn. If not, maybe your body is too used to your workout and it is time to changes things a bit.
  • jrich1
    jrich1 Posts: 2,408 Member
    Options
    I would look at your average HR and compare it to your friends and see if your HR is getting as high as theirs
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    as you get fitter your body gets used to doing the exercise and burns less calories.
    it might be worth switching up your exercise and trying something different see if that burns any more.
    if not, just take it as a good sign that your fitness is increasing, as you get smaller you should be aiming to lose less per week so the lower burn shouldnt cause any problems.
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    Make sure your personal setting are correct first of all. I just started using a polar after Christmas and I have just started noticing in the last week or so that I am burning even less with the same workouts. I am going to switch out the battery today. Who knows how long the Polar was sitting on the shelf. I'll post an update in the next few days to let you know whether that made a difference :smile:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    The things that affect burned calories on an HRM are fitness level, weight, height, age, gender and sometimes even the time of day.

And then there's the different brands and some are less accurate than others, while some people are using a watch-only HRM, which is NOT accurate.
  • Stacyanne324
    Stacyanne324 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    Hey you!! What is your average heart rate when you are exercising? I'm sure I'm on of the friends you are comparing your cals burned with but don't. I have a really high heart rate normally so my average tends to be pretty high which will calculate more calories burned for me. And my HRM is not a fancy Polar like you have. Mine actually stinks so I only use it to get that average HR figure and then I plug the info into an online calculator. I am not sure mine is even accurate but since I am losing weight using the figures I'm not going to mess with it. :)

But, that said your burn lately does seem pretty low. I would think the 30DS burns more than it told you today...
  • maryj2367
    maryj2367 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    any ideas would be appreciated, I started working out almost 2 weeks ago and still eating under my calories and i have been staying right around 218 pounds. I am sure ive lost in size but its frustrating that I cant see anything on the scale. I wonder if its muscle? any ideas, I really need to stay motivated because im going on a week vacation and Im going to gain water weight from the car drives and it will be very challenging on what I can eat and when I can work out.
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    I would look at your average HR and compare it to your friends and see if your HR is getting as high as theirs

Right. This is what I mean. Mine during the JM workouts is usually around 165 to 170 depending on the level and how new I am to it (it slowly lowers each day I do it).
  • iplayoutside19
    iplayoutside19 Posts: 2,304 Member
    Options
    Calories burned has more to do with how BIG you are. Moving mass (weight) requires energy (calories). More mass, more calories it's that simple.

Calories burned is not a scoreboard.
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    Options
    Size, gender, medications/health and fitness level can all play a part on why you and other people burn differently.

I used to work out with a female friend who is much more fit, about 50 pounds ligher and about 4 inches shorter than me - she would typically burn about 1/3rd less calories than me doing the exact same thing.

Then there's my other gym buddy, also a female, same weight as me but a few inches shorter and slightly more fit than me (she's better at running and a bit stronger) - we assumed she'd be burning about the same calories as me but she got a rude awakening when she finally got her Polar FT4 HRM. Come to find out, she was burning about the same as my other friend. We talked about all the possibilities and decided it was because she was on blood pressure meds so her heart rate was always lower, even if she was working as hard as us and pouring sweat...

Make sure all your setting are correct on the HRM and that you're following the user guide. Not sure which Polar you have but the newer ones (like my FT4) require the transmitters be wet in order to work properly. Also you need to make sure you clean it regularly according to the directions.

And as someone else pointed out, not all HRMs are made the same - maybe your friends aren't calculating as accurately as they think, especially if they don't have chest straps.
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    Options
    This information is all very helpful ... so thank you everyone for your replies. Just what I needed to get me out of my "funk". I just needed to know that I wasn't the only person who experienced this issue. :happy:
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    This.
    Calories burned has more to do with how BIG you are. Moving mass (weight) requires energy (calories). More mass, more calories it's that simple.

Calories burned is not a scoreboard.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone. Let me start by saying, I love this site and I really value all the information you can gain from reaching out to the MFP community.

I just got a Polar HRM, which I think is the coolest little gadget. It has, however, been a real eye opener. I've been working out nearly every day (some times even twice a day) and initially I was using the calories from MFP's list of exercises. I assumed that these were over estimated, but had nothing else to go by until I got my HRM.

I am shocked and a bit disappointed that my readings from my HRM are so low. I have a couple of MFP friends who do the same workout dvd's with a HRM and their numbers are so much higher.

I guess initially one would say that I'm not putting enough effort into my workouts, but honestly I think I'm putting as much effort forward into my workouts as this body will allow. Is there an explanation as to what might be going on? Is it really possible that my body just "runs a bit slower" than other folks?

Very hard not to be disappointed by this new information, but it kind of "is what it is" so to speak. Advice on this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Hard to say without more information--your weight, the activities you are doing, the calorie readouts, any medications you might be taking.

The HRM manufacturers obscure the fact, but HRMs are not "plug and play" devices. They require accurate setup, and also a more than basic background understanding of some of the principles of exercise physiology in order to get as accurate a calorie estimate as possible (and even then the accuracy is only modest).
  • Stacyanne324
    Options
    And as someone else pointed out, not all HRMs are made the same - maybe your friends aren't calculating as accurately as they think, especially if they don't have chest straps.

So true...if anyone you are friends with is using the HRM without a strap it won't be very accurate at all (I am using a strap one because of this reason). I'm sure your Polar has a strap so you are good there!
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    The calculations from MFP were way off for me too, and I was wondering why I was starving!! It calculated I was burning 160 calories, and when I got my HRM (with chest strap) I was burning over 300. Also way underestimated my kickboxing class. It logged like 460 for me, and I burned almost 700. Try the Jillian Michaels workouts, I LOVE LOVE LOVE them! They are super quick, and I burn a lot of calories for the time. I do ripped in 30, and it's 18 minutes, 25 included warm up and cool down, and I burn over 300 calories. It's a great workout to do in a pinch, or if you need to mix things up. I also agree with a PP that our bodies get accustomed to workouts so we begin to burn fewer calories.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    as you get fitter your body gets used to doing the exercise and burns less calories.
    it might be worth switching up your exercise and trying something different see if that burns any more.
    if not, just take it as a good sign that your fitness is increasing, as you get smaller you should be aiming to lose less per week so the lower burn shouldnt cause any problems.

^^ THIS!

Your fitness is increasing & your physical size is decreasing ...... you should be disappointed if the numbers DIDN'T go down.

Change your routine up a bit. Keep your body guessing. Your body is just trying to be efficient.
  • cba4994
    cba4994 Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    For what it is worth: I was able to test the battery in the 3 volt in the polar I just got for xmas and it was reading 2.8. I just replaced it and it seems to be crediting me calories closer to what it was when I first got it.
  • uksccs
    uksccs Posts: 6
    Options
    you know i watched a programme a few years ago where they made someone do 30 mins exercise then measured how many calories they lost then the next day they made them do nothing and they lost 3 x the amount they had the previous day just shows u doesnt it i used to think exercise was pointless i could do 30 mins n not work off my breakfast now i realise that even a small amount daily makes a big difference x