Patting pregnant bellies...

Options
kit_katty
kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
Does this actually happen? I hear about it but no one I know has ever had this happen to them.

Replies

• chelleymarie88
    Options
    Yeah... random people use to do it to me all the time...... it made me uncomfortable...
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    Home come everyone goes up and rubs a woman's belly and says "Congratulations.
    But no one ever comes up, rubs the father and says "Good Job"?
  • FarmerNikki
    Options
    It happened to a friend of mine as she walking through the mall. Someone she didn't know got all excited and touched the belly exclaiming, my friend gave her a death glare and said, "Excuse me?" the woman apologized and walked off. I am so glad nothing like that ever happened to me, I don't even really like people I know touching my pregnant belly
  • chelleymarie88
    Options
    I think it'd be worse if you weren't preg though, lol.
  • Iamkim73
    Iamkim73 Posts: 924 Member
    Options

That's because they are afraid it will lead to them ending up in the same condition! :laugh:
  • radicalreader
    radicalreader Posts: 207 Member
    Options
    I am one of those women who carry a baby like they are smuggling a basketball under their shirts.
    I had this problem with all three pregnancies.
    It drove me NUTS!
    Depending on my mood, I either
    1. rubbed the offender's belly back or
    2. said "excuse me ... what makes you think that is appropriate?"
    Usually women got the tummy rub and men got the "excuse me".
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    It happened to my daughter frequently ... according to her. I'm not sure how many times it happened, but enough to annoy her.

She had no problem with people she knew showing their excitement for her growing baby by touching/rubbing her tummy, but when a random stranger touched her she was appalled.

To her credit, I don't blame her. Strangers just don't have the right to put their hands on others - pregnant or otherwise.
  • clydethecat
    clydethecat Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    I am one of those women who carry a baby like they are smuggling a basketball under their shirts.
    I had this problem with all three pregnancies.
    It drove me NUTS!
    Depending on my mood, I either
    1. rubbed the offender's belly back or
    2. said "excuse me ... what makes you think that is appropriate?"
    Usually women got the tummy rub and men got the "excuse me".

rubbing the other person belly is brilliant! a friend of mine was pregnant and i only touched her belly once when the baby kicked and i just happened to be there. i cant believe strangers think its ok to rub a pregnant belly...
  • M_lifts
    M_lifts Posts: 2,224 Member
    Options
    i had this! was a bit awkward at times! for some reason once a woman is pregnant her body becomes public property!
  • xmissjasmine
    Options
    I had it and loved it. I waited 5 years to get pregnant and when people found out it was twins in there, it only magnified the belly rub. I personally adored it.
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    I had it and loved it. I waited 5 years to get pregnant and when people found out it was twins in there, it only magnified the belly rub. I personally adored it.
    Surely you don't enjoy being touched by complete strangers, though?

I've never been pregnant but I've had random strangers touch my hair, or grab my hand or arm without permission. I'm not at all surprised that this happens.
  • lumina0o0
    lumina0o0 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    luckily no one rubbed my tummy while i was preg, i don't know what i would have done. I'm not a very touchy feelie kinda of person. the only people that touched me where family members and even then sometimes they got the death stare.
  • Adina81
    Adina81 Posts: 252 Member
    Options
    I will have an uncontrolled reflex if that happens with me...just sayin. Some bruises will be suffered
  • MummyOfSeven
    MummyOfSeven Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    It used to drive me insane. I'm a bit of a "don't invade my bubble" person, so I could just about cope with friends and family doing it.
    When strangers did it I nearly had a fit. If I saw them coming, hand reaching out, I would take a small step back. If it was less obvious and I wasn't expecting it, I would just grit my teeth.

I hate being rude, but sometimes I felt like slapping their hands!
  • grapenutSF
    grapenutSF Posts: 648 Member
    Options
    That only happened to me once despite LOTS of warning. When it did happen, it was so well intentioned that I smiled.
  • rollycollysmama
    Options
    YES!!
    I seriously nearly got to the point where the next strange persont hat touched me, was gonna walk away with a broken hand. GURR, so frustrating!!!
  • bmmadden
    bmmadden Posts: 499 Member
    Options
    Whenever I was pregnant I didnt mind and actually loved it { I loved being pregnant if I hadnt gained 50 lbs or more due to my thyroid issue each time I probably would have had like 10 kids) if it were people I knew, but strangers thats just weird especially without asking
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options

That's because they are afraid it will lead to them ending up in the same condition! :laugh:

LOL
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    It happened to a friend of mine as she walking through the mall. Someone she didn't know got all excited and touched the belly exclaiming, my friend gave her a death glare and said, "Excuse me?" the woman apologized and walked off. I am so glad nothing like that ever happened to me, I don't even really like people I know touching my pregnant belly

Your friend wasn't even pregnant? Ouch.
  • paulamarsden
    paulamarsden Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    not been pregnant, but i have a full sleeve tattoo and HATE people grabbing it, touching it or saying "what does it mean"

265099_10100650521207130_4904246_63173100_6022210_n.jpg