are bananas good for you

Options
I seen on tv that you shouldn't eat bananas if you are trying to lose belly fat. Is this true.

Replies

• issyfit
    issyfit Posts: 1,077 Member
    Options
    Bananas are high in potassium--a good thing. But they are also very high in fructose which can raise blood sugar. It helps if you eat them with a protein or fat to slow their digestion, and not with something high in carbs like cereal. On South Beach we are allowed 4 oz as a fruit serving, which is about half of a normal banana.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I was wondering the same thing..
    Bananas are not the best food to eat on a diet, but they are obviously better than cookies, chocolate, bread and junk food :)
    I eat a banana to stop my cravings :)
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    Bananas are good for you. They have potassium and have all sorts of good benefits. Instead of consuming caffine (which isn't the best for you in excessive amounts anyways) try having a banana. Or during your monthly visitor to relieve cramps. They help restore the bowel function. I feel like the benefits outweight the risks.
  • Picola1984
    Picola1984 Posts: 1,133
    Options
    I once heard that if you want instant energy you eat a very ripe yellow banana

But if you want sustained energy you eat a green under ripe banana

I don't know if this is true as I hate green bananas!
  • astrampe
    astrampe Posts: 2,169 Member
    Options
    Bananas are good for you. They have potassium and have all sorts of good benefits. Instead of consuming caffine (which isn't the best for you in excessive amounts anyways) try having a banana. Or during your monthly visitor to relieve cramps. They help restore the bowel function. I feel like the benefits outweight the risks.

This...it's a fruit with a lot more nutritional value than a 100 cal granola bar....If you eat too much of it, it will be bad for you, just like eating too much of anything...
    And do not believe everything you see on tv, please!?:laugh:
  • Rayman79
    Rayman79 Posts: 2,009 Member
    Options
    Bananas = super mega awesomeness

The end! :bigsmile:
  • sed484
    sed484 Posts: 69
    Options
  • sed484
    sed484 Posts: 69
    Options
    Bananas are high in potassium--a good thing. But they are also very high in fructose which can raise blood sugar. It helps if you eat them with a protein or fat to slow their digestion, and not with something high in carbs like cereal. On South Beach we are allowed 4 oz as a fruit serving, which is about half of a normal banana.

Exactly what my nutritionist says!!
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    You can't just lose "belly fat." What you heard was bro science.
  • jennywren1971
    jennywren1971 Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    I once heard that if you want instant energy you eat a very ripe yellow banana

But if you want sustained energy you eat a green under ripe banana

I don't know if this is true as I hate green bananas!

I think what they are referring to is the GI of bananas. From what I have read the GI of a banana increases as it ripens. So less ripe bananas are lower GI and if you agree with the Low GI eating principles then they will assist in decreasing insulin spikes and help you to feel full for longer.

Personally bananas are my Favourite fruit - a package of goodness all ready to eat!
  • Tiggermummy
    Tiggermummy Posts: 312 Member
    Options
    for me - No, but that is because I am allergic to them! :laugh:
  • Sixleafclover
    Sixleafclover Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I had a banana the other day for breakfast and had a stomach ache for an hour or so afterward. Could have just been a coincidence, but the banana was really all that I ate, so I don't know what else it could have been...
  • iishnova
    iishnova Posts: 259 Member
    Options
    Bananas = super mega awesomeness

The end! :bigsmile:
    ehem...ditto lol
    Aside from that, I was told that eating a banana before bed can actually help you sleep better. Bananas aren't "bad" for you. Just eat them in moderation like everything else. After all, even too much water can be bad.
  • MIssFinny
    MIssFinny Posts: 194 Member
    Options
    I eat a banana everyday. I've lost the most fat in my stomach. So, I would say eat bananas. You'll be just fine. =)