Do you feel guilty?

Options
Does anyone feel guilty after having a cheat night? I've been really good all week and decided to have a cheat night. But I still kinda feel guilty. Is that normal or does anyone else feel like that?

Replies

• ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    Lots of people do, but I personally don't understand it. It's just food. It didn't hurt anybody. In fact, if you only do it occasionally, it's good for your metabolism. Guilt is useless. If you're going to eat it, enjoy it and move on.
  • MaximalLife
    MaximalLife Posts: 2,447 Member
    Options
    Not one bit!
    Why?
    I earned it, planned it and deserve to live life doing what I enjoy.
    Shrug off those shackles of guilt - liberate yourself and live a little.
  • beastmode_kitty
    beastmode_kitty Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    Not one bit!
    Why?
    I earned it, planned it and deserve to live life doing what I enjoy.
    Shrug off those shackles of guilt - liberate yourself and live a little.

I guess so ya. I went over on sugar and salt today, but my calories are under at least
  • hmseals
    hmseals Posts: 30
    Options
    I used to feel that way, and sometimes still do. I feel most guilty when I know I'm not hungry or eat for emotional reasons.The other day for lunch I went with a friend and ordered what I wanted, but only ate half, and didn't feel guilty at all. To me it is normal. Just don't let it get you down. You will do great :)
  • fmw123
    fmw123 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I do sometimes but I think so long as you don't go crazy you don't have anything to feel guilty about. We wouldn't be human if we didn't have cheat days! xx
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    I've lost a few pounds this week alone, and I guess I feel by doing this I would gain it all back. But nonetheless I will try and not feel guilty about it.
  • Delicate
    Delicate Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    Nope

I try not to associate emotion with food, its counter-productive.

'I felt bad, i ate so much, now I'll eat more to feel better'

And the cycle continues.
  • ajbeans
    ajbeans Posts: 2,857 Member
    Options
    I've lost a few pounds this week alone, and I guess I feel by doing this I would gain it all back. But nonetheless I will try and not feel guilty about it.

How? You need to think logically instead of with your emotional reaction to food. If it takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat, you'd have to eat 3500 calories OVER your TDEE (not your BMR) just to gain one pound. And you said you were even under your cal goal, so there's no way you would gain fat. Now, if you eat foods that are higher in sodium than you normally eat, you might gain temporary water weight, but that doesn't count. You just drink more water and flush it out. :)
  • KrystalLight03
    Options
    You are not alone if you sometimes feel guilty. I joined MFP last year, and I developed such an unhealthy obsession with food and tracking calories, and I was constantly berating myself for going over my calories every now and then. I finally had to pull myself away from the website until I felt I was in a better head space to try keeping a food diary again. I was still trying to eat healthy, but I enjoyed the freedom of not tracking every thing I was eating (I just happened to maintain my weight instead of continued loss). I feel that I am much more stable this time around, and I made myself a mental promise to pull away from the computer if I feel I'm spending too much time thinking and obsessing about food. I'm no longer going to get angry with myself for going over calories because I'm trying the best I can, and what happens, happens. As another poster said, it's only food and you're not hurting anybody. You shouldn't feel guilty, though those feelings can creep up every now and then. I just suggest you try taking some time to reevaluate yourself if you are constantly feeling guilt every time you indulge a little.
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options

How? You need to think logically instead of with your emotional reaction to food. If it takes 3500 calories to make a pound of fat, you'd have to eat 3500 calories OVER your TDEE (not your BMR) just to gain one pound. And you said you were even under your cal goal, so there's no way you would gain fat. Now, if you eat foods that are higher in sodium than you normally eat, you might gain temporary water weight, but that doesn't count. You just drink more water and flush it out. :)

I drank quite a bit of water today already, had my can of cherry coke now and will drink water the rest of the night now :)
  • garlic7girl
    garlic7girl Posts: 2,236 Member
    Options
    Normal but it is apart of growth process too. How you view different foods. Is cake bad? Well, it may have minimal to no nutritional value but it sure is nice on your birthday!!!! Special occasions? Would you feel guilt then?
    How about wine? Chips? It is often do we make it forbidden or labeled "BAD" that makes us guilty. Happy Eating!!!!!!
  • Pepper2185
    Pepper2185 Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    Nope!

If the majority of my choices are healthy, I am getting lots of exercise, and seeing the results I want to ... what kind of damage is one cheat night going to do???
  • Shannonnn92
    Shannonnn92 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    Last night I had my first "cheat night" in nearly three weeks and I WON'T be doing that again. I've been eating really healthy, whole foods.Last night I went to Friendly's and even though I probably got one of the more healthy things (until it was time for the ice cream, of course) but it really threw me off and now my stomach STILL hurts :(
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    People on here are constantly talking about feeling guilty for what they eat, so you're definitely not alone. I don't think it's healthy to associate guilt with food. If I overate way more than I meant to, I might feel frustrated but not guilty.
  • mctiernan
    mctiernan Posts: 51 Member
    Options
    I had a cheat night yesterday. It was my son's birthday and I enjoyed a piece of cake and ice cream. I am back on track today and feel great :)
  • beastmode_kitty
    Options
    Nope!

If the majority of my choices are healthy, I am getting lots of exercise, and seeing the results I want to ... what kind of damage is one cheat night going to do???

I did get to my first goal weight this week :)
  • christina571
    Options
    I actually just had my first cheat meal tonight, and I felt slightly guilty at first, but I realized that I should still be able to enjoy my favorite foods every once in a while. I was still under my calories for today, so it's really no big deal. Enjoy yourself every once in a while, it won't hurt :flowerforyou:
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    In fact I think the term "cheat" is a bad idea. I don't cheat. I eat what I want, and if it's more than usual I can make up for that the next day. But cheating is a different concept that I can't support.
  • jobie4153
    Options
    Sometimes a "cheat" can help you stay on track...get it out of your system and enjoy it...tomorrow is another day. Constantly denying yourself, can lead to throwing in the towel.
  • Butterfly3730
    Options
    In fact I think the term "cheat" is a bad idea. I don't cheat. I eat what I want, and if it's more than usual I can make up for that the next day. But cheating is a different concept that I can't support.

Exactly! Why call it a CHEAT day/meal? Who are you cheating? lol Shame and Guilt are just counterproductive and a way to make us feel bad about ourselves. I'm working on being kind to myself. Doing my best at eating as healthy as I can and exercising. If I make a choice that is not optimum, log it, enjoy it and move on.