Losing weight in College???

Options
Hey I am a college senior and I was wondering how does other students deal with stress of school, working out, eating right, volunteering, work emotional eating etc?

Replies

• Megclark37
    Options
    yes yes yes! all of the above! I am a junior in college and I totally feel ya! If your school has fitness classes you should try taking some. I just signed up for zumba in the mornings before my classes and it gives me so much energy for the day! Also, try blocking out and writing out your daily schedule including class time, exercise, homework, etc. this has helped my time management a TON!! Also, try preparing meals for the next day a day early. I used to grab so much fast food but now I have healthy sandwiches and wraps made up to just grab on the go! GOOD LUCK!
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    <-- grad student here doing a Ph.D. and a master's in two separate fields.

YES, you can do this. I pack all my food for the day every morning and make time for my workouts, even if it's just 3x per week and 30 minutes per.

Maintaining a schedule and making this a priority as much as your schoolwork is the real challenge. Make time for yourself. It's so worth it.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    It is by far the hardest thing I've ever done. It's been a rocky road with a bunch of ups and downs. I'm just now trying to get back on track again. Some days I'm a freakin wreck at clinicals and I have to break down and eat something bad for me, then I go home and cry about it because school already has me at the end of my freakin rope. If I make it, it will be nothing short of a miracle so I'm definitely not the one to ask, but I will say this... exercise is the one thing that helps me cope with stress. Cardio mainly just gives me a rush that carries me through the day like nothing else. If you aren't already on a regular exercise routine, find one that works for you and your busy schedule.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    This site...seriously! <3 I know what you mean...17 hours this semester plus volunteering and then trying to keep on track with eating right and exercising. :/

My freshman year I lost weight instead of gained. I stopped myself from doing the "typical" college stuff like late night iHop or pizza. I also don't drink. However, I did have a meal plan my first year and that SUCKED. Now, I live in an apartment and do my own meals. I exercise everyday a minimum of 60 minutes at least, not counting the walking around campus.

I allow myself treats everyday in moderation, and every so often go out to get a bigger treat or for a meal, etc. Of course I slip up sometimes, but we all do. My biggest problem used to be eating when I was bored, stressed, emotional, etc. and this site has helped so much.

It's tough, but it IS possible! :) What helps me is to always plan out my meals and workouts ahead of time, and then pre make or pre pack them so I know they're already ready and I won't go over. I also don't buy things in big packages, like Oreos or ice cream, and instead get individually packed items, or else I will NOT stop.

Feel free to look at my diary if you need any ideas! I eat a lot of the same stuff, but it's fast, cheap, and it works for me!

However, social gatherings ALWAYS get me...ugh.
  • Cat1228
    Options
    Hey! I graduated recently, but lost the bulk of my weight while still in school. I bought healthy snacks (pretzels, low fat cookies, etc) to munch on and a lot of quick, ready-made meals (a lot of Healthy Choice--helps with portion sizes too). For the gym, I made sure I went on days when I had late classes so I could go before class. My school also required a certain amount of credits in a fitness/gym class, so I chose something I wanted to try that would be a good workout! They also offered free, drop-in classes to students, check it out, yours might have them, too!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    I'm not a normal student right now, but I can tell you what I did when I was in undergrad and grad school:

Prep work! I bought things from the store and would freeze them. For example, a pack of pork chops I would separate into individual chops and put herbs on them. Then, when they were thawing later while I was in class, they would be soaking up the herby flavor at the same time. I also cook in larger batches and pack up the rest for later - easy grab and go.

It really comes down to what matters most to you, that's where you'll put your efforts. When I was a freshman, my roommate and I were workout and dinner buddies. That camaraderie really made things easier. Working out is a great stress release, perhaps you can do some racquet ball or tennis or martial arts to really get the frustrations out to avoid emotional eating.

Hope that helps some!
  • lostsanity137
    lostsanity137 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    If you find the answer to that one, let me know. I'm a sophomore and I am always screwing it up. If it isn't stress from school or work, then it's definitely the no self-control thing when out with friends. Ugh.
  • CompuGirl2
    CompuGirl2 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    Hey girl!
    I am a college senior as well. I also do all the things you mentioned, volunteering, work, school, homework...
    I actually go exercise on the way to school a few hours early and then work on homework for the few hours before class every day. It helps me streamline what I have to do in the time allowed. It really is a shame we can't squeeze 25 or more hours in a 24 hour day. :-) As for the emotional eating i am definitely no stranger to that. For one, it is ok to not eat healthy 100% of the time. I can't tell myself i can't have something otherwise that is exactly what i end up eating.... the bad stuff. Generally, if I want something bad like a cheeseburger I will get it. I just get the kids size instead of the big mac. It has worked for me so far. Everybody lapses and has bad days. It is normal, we are human. The exercise helps to combat the effects of the bad food. Also, I am working on staying aware of what I eat and my hunger feelings. I have had so much trouble eating on auto-pilot. Eating because I feel like it and not because I am actually hungry. Try to keep your mind involved and that helps to. :-) I hope this helps.
  • WWH_AJ
    WWH_AJ Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    Since last June I have lost 52 lbs and I am in my 5th year of college pursuing 3 degrees. I have found time in my schedule this Skeeter to go to the gym Mon-Thurs. I also no longer eat out. I use that money, instead, to take with me to the groceey store. I always make more than I can eat, like crockpot chili, etc and bring them with me to school for leftovers. I also work at a fast food place and have been fighting that urge by bringing my own salmon wraps or my own salads. I always have random healthy snack items in my car so that I wont go devour a bag of Hot Cheetos because I have the munchies. Consuming a lot of protein in the morning also helps battle the hunger. Also, it's the simple things. Take the stairs instead of the elevator, if parking sucks, allow yourself enough time to park farther away and just walk. Bring your hw to the gym. I have read over notes, etc several times as I rode the stationary bike. Just stick to preparing ahead of time and don't give up!
  • mznisaelaine
    mznisaelaine Posts: 2,262 Member
    Options
    I plan what I am going to eat the night before, I take my lunch. I actually have a jogging class twice a week so that helps but the other days I make time to workout. I managed to level out the stress by working out and finding time to get a break. Establishing a system for yourself to balance everything out will help you out.

My first three years of college I gained over 50 pounds and I finally lost about half but this time around I finally have figured out what helps me eat better, workout, and plan accordingly for all my other obligations such as undergrad research, homework, studying, club activities, and conferences.

Hope you find what works best for you :)
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Oh dont say hot cheetos now im getting the shakes.
  • meghanmaclennan
    Options
    Hey! I am currently in my second year of university, and it is SO hard to eat right, especially when you live in residence and have to eat in the cafeteria every day. But I found that once I got started eating healthy, my body didn't like when I fed it crap, so it made it easier to eat the good. When a stressful day occurs, I do eat what I want, but I try to keep under my daily calorie intake, as well as make sure that I exercise. Exercise releases hormones in the brain that make you feel good, so it is usually a good pick me up! I will say that I am lucky to have great will power (I quit smoking cold turkey from a pack a day), but I still have days when I want to eat for comfort, not what is actually good for me. But I heard a tip from a chef at the cafeteria here: if you are craving something, give it to yourself! He lost 200lbs, and he cheated too!
    Keep up the good work!
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    Hey I am a college senior and I was wondering how does other students deal with stress of school, working out, eating right, volunteering, work emotional eating etc?

Hi! I'm a senior too, what are you studying? It's a lot of work to get and stay healthy, let alone the stress of work and classes. Do you have a workout plan right now? Diet? I will tell you how I manage but I'm a work in progress!

First thing is time management. I just transferred schools. In high school and for the first two years of college, I exercised an hour a day and did strength training whenever I was bored of cardio. I wanted to start that routine again at the new school and I was successful for the first 2 weeks but then classes got crazy hard! Something had to give and it wasn't going to be grades. I stopped working out to make time for classes and then tried to manage time by keeping a log at my desk. Every time I sat down to study, I wrote the class name and "Time In" or "Time Out" and "Total", to see where all my time was going. It was enlightening! You could try that. I also made time spreadsheets and used a calendar app on my computer to log even silly things like "tea before bed" (because I use a kettle and it takes longer to boil and brew).

I spent most of last semester calorie counting and eating whatever I wanted. It was nice for the psychological aspect (no deprivation) but I was hungry constantly and tended to binge at night because of it. I absolutely love pizza and M&M's, so that was my dinner every night for weeks (needless to say, my tastebuds didn't go to college when I did lol). I still lost a lot of weight (10-15 lbs? I can't remember now) and much of it was fat. I wasn't working out either, so there's something to be said for strict calorie counting (remember the Twinkie guy? He lost body fat too - quite a bit, actually). Do you have to exercise to lose weight? Well, no not really. Is it more effective? Sometimes. Do you have to eat healthier foods? No. In my case, it was more sustainable to eat whatever I wanted in moderate portions. After a while of that I got used to the idea of salads and lean proteins. Now I enjoy healthier food more, I just had to start "dieting" without the deprivation.

That said, I am currently on a (very) low carb diet. I'm eating 30-70 grams of carbs and 40-50 grams protein (adequate for my lean mass). I make up the rest of the calories with dietary fat. I am totally loving it and my muscles are looking toned, despite absolutely no workouts. My waist is flat every morning and I dropped 6 lbs of water weight in two days (ugh, I was holding a lot). I have to keep a strict eye on sodium and potassium but aside from that, I feel great and this is the my default lifestyle setting anyway. I eat a generous fatty breakfast, go all afternoon without feeling hungry (I am very productive!), and then have a generous fatty dinner and go to bed on a full stomach. The fat helps keep calories in a good range without bloating from grains and fruits and dairy. I am 99.9% sure I have a GI disorder (no need for TMI) and a recent 2-week stint on a 50% carb, 25% protein, 25% fat diet to improve my running left me in pain the whole time. It was dreadful. ---Now, if you don't want to try low-carbing, that's fine. I rave about it, obviously but just like the 50%-carb approach is bad for me, 10% carb might be bad for someone else. I suggest you try it though. It can't hurt to give it two weeks...you might like it!

Ideally, I stick to very low carb, no exercise (besides walking to and from class) during the week and focus on my classes. On the weekends, I can fudge time a little more. Sat and Sun are my higher-carb days. I typically go for long runs (6 mi/50 min or so) and do some strength training. Then it's back to sitting on Monday. Actually, I counted how many minutes I walked for the first week of classes and it was 20-30 minutes plus stairclimbing. Don't underestimate the daily exercise you get as a student! It might be just enough.

Anyway, sorry that's so long. Best of luck to you!
  • CoralConnor
    CoralConnor Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    I agree with what most people are saying on this post. When you're strapped for time and you're stressed out (but WANT to lose weight!) you must A.) Buy a planner and use it. They're as cheap as $5-$10 and will allow you to plan your day down to the half-hour. You can schedule in excercise, too and see where your relaxation time is. B.) Make meals the night before! Put leftovers in a tupperware and bring to school or work. Make a healthy sandwich with fruit. Get yourself a cute little lunch bag, if needed.

These are great ways to reduce your anxiety about what you will eat and where your time goes... It helps me a LOT!
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    ^^ This! That's one of the huge reasons I started calorie counting initially - I wanted to lose weight and had no money. Beggars can't be choosers so whenever someone offered free food I jumped at it, I just had to eat smaller portions.
  • Ironyb
    Ironyb Posts: 30
    Options
    Thanks everybody for the help and support, I am learning how to plan and not procrastinate so I'm glad I'm the right track. I got my workout days planned, but things always seem to overlap, and homework seems to be piling up. As far as nutrition goes, I thought I ate relative good, but MFP has helped me realize I don't ALWAYS eat well and that's where things get messy. I just feel like some times I get a little unmotivated despite iving 2 blocks away from the gym :noway:.. I walk to bake and forth to class I take stairs instead of elevators, and i like to dance when I am at home. But any who It is a learning experience I just thank the whole MFP community for all the support. I'll let you guys know how my planning works out.
  • Ironyb
    Options

Hi! I'm a senior too, what are you studying? It's a lot of work to get and stay healthy, let alone the stress of work and classes. Do you have a workout plan right now? Diet? I will tell you how I manage but I'm a work in progress!

First thing is time management. I just transferred schools. In high school and for the first two years of college, I exercised an hour a day and did strength training whenever I was bored of cardio. I wanted to start that routine again at the new school and I was successful for the first 2 weeks but then classes got crazy hard! Something had to give and it wasn't going to be grades. I stopped working out to make time for classes and then tried to manage time by keeping a log at my desk. Every time I sat down to study, I wrote the class name and "Time In" or "Time Out" and "Total", to see where all my time was going. It was enlightening! You could try that. I also made time spreadsheets and used a calendar app on my computer to log even silly things like "tea before bed" (because I use a kettle and it takes longer to boil and brew).

I spent most of last semester calorie counting and eating whatever I wanted. It was nice for the psychological aspect (no deprivation) but I was hungry constantly and tended to binge at night because of it. I absolutely love pizza and M&M's, so that was my dinner every night for weeks (needless to say, my tastebuds didn't go to college when I did lol). I still lost a lot of weight (10-15 lbs? I can't remember now) and much of it was fat. I wasn't working out either, so there's something to be said for strict calorie counting (remember the Twinkie guy? He lost body fat too - quite a bit, actually). Do you have to exercise to lose weight? Well, no not really. Is it more effective? Sometimes. Do you have to eat healthier foods? No. In my case, it was more sustainable to eat whatever I wanted in moderate portions. After a while of that I got used to the idea of salads and lean proteins. Now I enjoy healthier food more, I just had to start "dieting" without the deprivation.

That said, I am currently on a (very) low carb diet. I'm eating 30-70 grams of carbs and 40-50 grams protein (adequate for my lean mass). I make up the rest of the calories with dietary fat. I am totally loving it and my muscles are looking toned, despite absolutely no workouts. My waist is flat every morning and I dropped 6 lbs of water weight in two days (ugh, I was holding a lot). I have to keep a strict eye on sodium and potassium but aside from that, I feel great and this is the my default lifestyle setting anyway. I eat a generous fatty breakfast, go all afternoon without feeling hungry (I am very productive!), and then have a generous fatty dinner and go to bed on a full stomach. The fat helps keep calories in a good range without bloating from grains and fruits and dairy. I am 99.9% sure I have a GI disorder (no need for TMI) and a recent 2-week stint on a 50% carb, 25% protein, 25% fat diet to improve my running left me in pain the whole time. It was dreadful. ---Now, if you don't want to try low-carbing, that's fine. I rave about it, obviously but just like the 50%-carb approach is bad for me, 10% carb might be bad for someone else. I suggest you try it though. It can't hurt to give it two weeks...you might like it!

Ideally, I stick to very low carb, no exercise (besides walking to and from class) during the week and focus on my classes. On the weekends, I can fudge time a little more. Sat and Sun are my higher-carb days. I typically go for long runs (6 mi/50 min or so) and do some strength training. Then it's back to sitting on Monday. Actually, I counted how many minutes I walked for the first week of classes and it was 20-30 minutes plus stairclimbing. Don't underestimate the daily exercise you get as a student! It might be just enough.

Anyway, sorry that's so long. Best of luck to you!

Lol no prob I write essays as well, i try not though.:laugh: But I am studying Biochemistry and I have 2 minors Spanish and Biology. And great advice, I can try the low carb thing. I am suppose to be on a low carb high protien fitness challenge, but I'm waiting on my paycheck to get rolling on that. :tongue:
  • Ironyb
    Options
    It is by far the hardest thing I've ever done. It's been a rocky road with a bunch of ups and downs. I'm just now trying to get back on track again. Some days I'm a freakin wreck at clinicals and I have to break down and eat something bad for me, then I go home and cry about it because school already has me at the end of my freakin rope. If I make it, it will be nothing short of a miracle so I'm definitely not the one to ask, but I will say this... exercise is the one thing that helps me cope with stress. Cardio mainly just gives me a rush that carries me through the day like nothing else. If you aren't already on a regular exercise routine, find one that works for you and your busy schedule.

Same here. You said clinicals? Would you happen to be in med school? I'm planning on going to med school and that's one of my biggest fears, is being stressed out and overwieght for the rest of my life :sad: But there are some hard core planners on here I can take a few pointers from them.
  • littlemsmuffet
    Options
    Haha! My essays might get me into trouble some day...or they might get me into med school. I'm hoping the last one ;D Glad to know your sciency too! I wanted to major in biochemistry but it's not offered at my school so bio major/chem minor it is, lol! It's great that your thinking about all of this now, though. Seriously. I know a lot of people who felt like they couldn't juggle school and health so they made good grades but were overweight or obese in the prime of life. I don't judge them but it is really sad to see so I'm glad you're not going down that road. :drinker: