Feeling a bit bummed today...

Options
So I will admit that this is only my first month using this site, and I started as part of my New Years Resolution to continue to get myself healthy. Before I thought that I could just exercise every once and awhile and the weight would just come off on its own... I've been working so hard and following all the rules and up until this week I've been so happy with my results.

I find myself having a hard time talking about my goals with the peple around me. It seems to me, whenever I bring any of the accomplishments I've met, people are always trying to tell me how much better they have been doing.

Personally I don't believe in the programs that tell you to take their shakes and you'll lose all the weight you could ever imagine. (I know that that have changed many peoples lives and helped them lose weight, I don't doubt that) But I know that I, myself, can change the way I think about foods and do that for myself with healthy eating and exercise. I just really gets me down when I've been sweating it out, and all people want to tell me about is after drinking shakes for 4 days they've lost 3 lbs... Especially because there is no way I could afford the program they are using, and it's not logical for my body to drop that much weight in such a short period of time after the weight I've lost.

I know that I should be proud of the 22lbs I've lost, but today I just feel like it doesn't mean much of anything.
WIshing there was an easy button....

Replies

• myopus
    myopus Posts: 321 Member
    Options
    Just think of how you felt before you lost the 22 lbs., not having achieved it yet. There are many people here who motivate themselves with just the *possibility* that they will one day reach that amount. You did great. With the people you mentioned, you might compliment them on their achievements, but then otherwise stop short of talking about your own goals or strategies to minimize the discouragement you feel after those conversations. Just stay on track, and look for ways to be positive until you get past feelings of discouragement. One week without loss could mean that you'd benefit from closer evaluation of your calorie goals or nutrition needs, but it could be that your weight loss has just slowed because you're closer to your goal. Remember the Golden Rule, and give yourself what the people you mentioned neglected to give you - encouragement, support, motivation, and a "hang in there". Remember before the 22 lbs... it (was) will be worth your patience and worth the wait.
  • 1996gtstang
    1996gtstang Posts: 279 Member
    Options
    lift 22lbs of weights. that is what you lost in only a month! pretty damn good!
  • crazybeautifulkittie
    Options
    22 IBS!!!! WOW! Hot damn. I wish I was that motivated. Sometimes people in real life can be jerks. Look for an encouraging environment. Or a good friend who will be supportive of you and tell you when you look good. Sometimes our good friends (or at least my best friend) is so damn negative about certian topics because they have bitter feelings towards their own bodies. They can be great people otherwise. But just don't talk to them about "dieting" or even healther eating. You're doing great!
  • extremewinner
    extremewinner Posts: 98 Member
    Options
    22 pounds is loads!! It definitely is tempting to go back to old ways but you can do it. Shakes and DVD workouts might not be your thing.. theyre not mine either and thats okay! Just keep doing what youre doing to be happy and healthy. =)
  • Cal28
    Cal28 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Would you really want to just drink shakes? Their weight will be easy off, easy on. You are making a lifestyle change and doing very well at it too! 22lb is superb.
    Open this thread back up in 3-6 months and let us know how the 'shake' crew are doing, I bet your doing far better! :happy:
  • samurphy123
    Options
    I agree it is great for them if it works, however, it isn't feasible for a lifetime...keep up the great work....22lbs is 4 bags of sugar...congrats