Beta Blocker help

Options
Hi everyone,

I've had a bit of a poke around about exercising on beta blockers and using your HRM. As far as I can tell people agree that your HRM caloric estimate is useless whilst on a beta blocker. Which makes sense to me. I did the same workout the last two days, except yesterday was BEFORE I took the beta blocker. I couldn't get my HR up above about 130, and my HRM estimated about 100 less calories burnt than the day before. However my perceived exertion was about the same.

So my question is... Are any of you out there on beta blockers still using your HRM caloric estimate, and how much luck have you had doing your exercise in the morning BEFORE you take the blocker? Have you found that by doing that you are able to use the HRM caloric estimate more like you used to before you were on a beta blocker?
It seems frustrating to me that I pretty much have to throw my HRM caloric estimate out the window, given how hard you have to work getting your food intake calories accurate here.

On a side note, would a fitbit give a more accurate calorie estimate due to the fact it is using cadence as a guide rather than heart rate?

Replies

• LabRat529
    LabRat529 Posts: 1,323 Member
    Options
    If you can afford it, you might consider something like a bodybug. They don't use heart rate to calculate calorie burn and from what I've ready, they're reasonably accurate.

I don't know what fitbit is.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    I still use a HRM with my beta blockers. I add 20% of my burn back to compensate for the BB usage. My cardiologist said this was a good estimate of the calories burned for patients on a beta blocker (though I can't seem to find much in the scientific literature about it).

For example:

If HRM says I burned 100 calories doing an activity, I add 120 calories to my exercise log.

You might still be underestimating your burn but that is preferrable to overestimating.

NOTE: this is only useful if you plan on eating all those calories back. If not, don't worry about being 100% accurate.

Good luck to you!
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,239 Member
    Options
    It is only 100 calories. It won't make a huge difference in the long run. Your HRM is not useless, just not as accurate as it was before. At least the error is in the underestimating. I read recently that most ellipticals over estimate by a huge percentage (something in the 40-50 something percent) I worked out for a year on a beta blocker. Now I don't need it any longer, but the underestimation of calories did not hinder my weight loss at all.
  • nero82
    nero82 Posts: 27
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies,

A fitbit is kind of a pedometer. Similar to the bodybug in that it has an accelerometer in it, but doest have the fancy heat and sweat things the bodybug does.

I like the idea of adding 20%.

Anyone have any feedback on doing their exercise before taking the blocker in the morning?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the quick replies,

A fitbit is kind of a pedometer. Similar to the bodybug in that it has an accelerometer in it, but doest have the fancy heat and sweat things the bodybug does.

I like the idea of adding 20%.

Anyone have any feedback on doing their exercise before taking the blocker in the morning?

BB build up over time, so timing during the day doesn't matter terribly much especially if you are on a long-release tablet like Toprolol XL or something similar (This my BB, by the way).

It just matters that you do the workouts and do your best with them. Timing doesn't matter as much.
  • nero82
    nero82 Posts: 27
    Options
    I don't think mine is XL though. its Atenolol, and its only a small dose. If I do my exercise in the morning, my heart response seems more like it used to be. Hmm, my aunt is a surgeon and an exercise buff. Might see what she thinks when she comes to stay next week. I'll let you guys know