great website- find your BMI

Options
So today I added sodium to my Daily Diet. Wow, I was shocked at the numbers. I never thought about it before but I am in troule. I need to lower my sodium and fast! So I started seaching on-line and reading a few things.

I came across this site- that has some helpful tips but you can also find your BMI and see if you are in normal weight range or overweight and so on. I found it interesting and wanted to share.

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/hbp/prevent/h_weight/h_weight.htm

If anyone has some helpful quick tips for me and my sodium issue I am here so share away!

Replies

• CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    You can calculate your BMI here on MFP too - click on 'tools' then click on 'BMI'. It also shows the healthy weight range for your height. :-)
  • amr_227
    amr_227 Posts: 23
    Options
    Thanks I guess I did not realize that. I got alot of good information on the site though.

But alittle stressed now. It tells me for 5'7" I should be 118-159. Hubby looked at me and said I would never make it to 118. Guess he's not very supportive. :(
  • ElizabethRoad
    ElizabethRoad Posts: 5,138 Member
    Options
    118 is the bare minimum you should weigh for your height. It's not necessarily the ideal weight for you. I am 5'7" and I looked terrible when I was that thin.
  • CMmrsfloyd
    CMmrsfloyd Posts: 2,383 Member
    Options
    Thanks I guess I did not realize that. I got alot of good information on the site though.

But alittle stressed now. It tells me for 5'7" I should be 118-159. Hubby looked at me and said I would never make it to 118. Guess he's not very supportive. :(

Not everyone has to get to that smallest weight in the range - it's a nice big range to account for different body types/frames/etc. You might be built for 118, or you might be built for 159, or you might be built for somewhere in-between. Just work hard and see where it gets you. :-) Personally, I am shooting for around the middle of my healthy range, maybe slightly lower, but definitely not trying to get all the way to that smallest number. The range for my height is 107-147 - I am shooting for about 120-125. :-)
  • naecarter
    naecarter Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    I don't think it was meant to be unsupportive...I am also 5'7" and I can tell you, when I weighed 130 I was on the verge of looking too thin. At 135 I looked and felt my best (I thought so anyway!)!
  • Aileen46
    Aileen46 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'7" as well and there's no way I could ever be 118. The least that I weighed was 125 and friends and family said they thought I was anorexic. My goal right now is 160. If I lose more than that great, but if not 160 will look good! That will be a 65 pound loss by then and I'll be quite happy with that. :)

Also, I changed my sodium settings on here to be at 2250 instead of the default of 2500. At first it was difficult to stay under the limit but you eventually get used to the products that have alot of sodium in them. I rarely use soya sauce anymore, and also stay away from canned soups. Those have a really high content. I also look for low sodium options in the grocery store these days.