So what's the secret to losing breast size/weight...

Goingsharkcagediving
Goingsharkcagediving Posts: 2 Member
edited September 19 in Health and Weight Loss
I am embaressed to ask, but would really love to know! This obviously begs the question, how big are your breasts. They currently weight 22lbs EACH!! Yes, I weighed them..haha. Prior to commiting myself to a serious exercise and diet plan, I quit caffeine completely and haven't had any for almost 2 years. I thought for sure this would help and I did see some minimal results. I've been on my plan now for 3 months and really haven't seen a change in that area, which is probably the #1 area I would like to see change. They were not that big prior to becoming overweight, so I know they are not naturally supposed to be that way. It's very frustrating to know that I attribute 44lbs out of approximate 100lbs that I need to lose to my breasts.

This also makes it difficult to exercise sometimes because they get in the way. :S Despite this, I show up 6 days a week and do my cardio/weights. 3 days a week I am doing various weight exercises that focus on my chest.

I have heard that many women lose weight in their chest area when they begin losing weight. How can I accentuate that or what can I try that might be different?

Replies

• aymie24
    aymie24 Posts: 227
    Honestly, if you have health insurance, I think a reduction is your best bet. Explain to your doctor that they are interfering with your physical activity and weight loss plans.

You may have to have a second, more minor procedure after you lose weight but I have read many doctors who are starting to believe that breast reduction is better for some women before a major weight loss, if the breasts are interefering with exercise.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:
  • kandyjo
    kandyjo Posts: 4,493 Member
    My boobs are usually the first place I start to loose weight (: Mine have gotten HUGE (38 DD) and I DON't like them at all....

I am regularly 34 C (before I gained all of this weight)....Can't wait to get back to that point...

Its seems like, you would lose in your breast since you gained in them....Know what I mean....Since you are not NATURALLY as big as you are now....

Good luck on finding what works for you.....I wouldn't encourage something as drastic as surgery right off the bat.....Try every other option first. (:
  • Poison5119
    Poison5119 Posts: 1,460 Member
    We should all have such problems. But I do agree with Aymie, see a doctor if you have that option. If you don't, you can only hope that weight loss will help minimize your size, and whatever God blessed you with will remain. Seek out fully supportive garments - a good sport bra will help keep them where they belong.
  • I wouldn't mind hearing some secrets to losing a bra size or two (or three)... I'm naturally a 38DD. I HATE it. I was supposed to have a reduction in december but our insurance changed and messed things up :sad:
  • pniana
    pniana Posts: 254 Member
    Try push ups. If you have to do them on your knee's do them that way. I learned today that you should have your hands a little wider than your shoulder width to work your chest. If you have them shoulder width or narrower, you are working your shoulders. Do them in intervals or 5 or 10 to get as many as you can in. Good luck. I am naturally a 34DD and hate it!. I am hoping for a little surgery for my 40th!!
  • naugustyniak
    naugustyniak Posts: 836 Member
    Honestly, if you have health insurance, I think a reduction is your best bet. Explain to your doctor that they are interfering with your physical activity and weight loss plans.

You may have to have a second, more minor procedure after you lose weight but I have read many doctors who are starting to believe that breast reduction is better for some women before a major weight loss, if the breasts are interefering with exercise.

Good luck!:flowerforyou:

Good luck with that!!. Mine were causing me back and neck problems and trouble sleeping. I went to a plastic surgeon who was so convinced my insurance would cover it he made the appointment right there. Turns out my insurance would not cover it because they said it was cosmetic. I had a year's worth of documentation from doctor's visits, medications and physical therapy and they still wouldn't approve it.

Doctors may believe that breast reduction is better for women before weight loss but insurance companies don't see it that way.
  • stratdl
    stratdl Posts: 303 Member
    Losing breast weight is entirely up to your body (not necessarily what you want it to do or what you'd like it to do :grumble: ). I know--I started out with a nice normal 34C prior to gaining weight. I lost about 25-30 pounds and my bra size decreased in band (due to loss of back fat) and my cup size INCREASED (due to the fact that the fat inside my breasts decided to stay put, thank you very much).

That was a few years ago. After deciding to pursue a healthier lifestyle more actively than I'd been doing, I joined MFP in March (thanks to a crash of the hubby's computer) and the fat within my breasts has started to shrink. :happy: I wouldn't say that it's super-apparent yet, but I'm pretty sure that I've gone down another band size AND probably a cup size. My conclusion for my body in particular is that my breasts have been the last bastion of fat reserves for my body, so they're the last part of me that's seeing a benefit of a healthy lifestyle.

The bottom line is this: breast reduction through diet and exercise will occur on your body's timeline. And, if you have more dense and/or fibrous breast tissue than fat inside your breasts, you will most likely see a smaller reduction in size than if it were the other way around. The only way to know for sure how much fat is in "the girls" is to have it evaluated by your doctor.

As far as exercise bras go, you can check out www.herroom.com and www.figleaves.com to look for good-quality workout bras. I would highly recommend the kind that fasten in back like a regular bra (I have quite a few like that and none of the ones that you just pull on--they don't give much support at all). Those particular websites have user reviews and sometimes fitters' advice as well as nice images of how the bra will look under certain types of shirts (at herroom, anyway). Of course, any good quality bra for the larger sized "girls" out there does come at a premium price, but the support that you get will DEFINITELY be worth it.

I hope this helps!

Cheers, :drinker:
    Deborah
  • marm1962
    marm1962 Posts: 950 Member
    I personally don't know of any particular excercise that will make your breasts smaller. I do know that they are made up of fat, fibrous tissue, and glands. You will lose some with weight loss (if your lucky). When I get to my goal weight my bra size, 36DD, will remain the same, as it has for the last 29 years, since I was pregnant with my first child. No matter how much I lose they remain constant.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    I started at a 38DDD. Now I'm a 34DDD/E so my breasts are a little smaller. The thing about them is it all depends on your body. The only way to lose them is weightloss and, if they still won't go away, surgery.
  • Wow, thanks everyone for the great response. Having a reduction is definitely something that I want to do. I had my annual appointment with my GY last December and she gave me her full support on a reduction. I didn't even bring it up, she asked if I had considered it. I was always under the impression that it was better to try and lose weight prior to the reduction. Turns out that getting a reduction in my case would also reduce my chances of getting breast cancer, etc. So there are other benefits.

Was hoping to tackle about 30-40 pounds prior to getting the surgery though. Have a shark cage diving trip planned and am training for that at the moment. So a surgery would definitely be an option soon after.
  • ladyonamission
    ladyonamission Posts: 5 Member
    You are absolutely right about the breast reduction. Many health care Insurance Providers cover the reduction. Not only does it take a lot of pressure off your back and shoulders, it lifts your self esteem. You look better in your clothes and more incline to wear sexy underwear. And when you get a reduction, they also lift them:wink: And pending on your weight loss or gain after the reduction if you need a breast lift again, your insurance will cover it. You can't beat that.
  • wagner
    wagner Posts: 1
    I am currently wearing a 38DD. The excerises that were taught to me and helps are sumo lifts (your stance is like a sumo and you lift a weighted ball, it also works your back well too) and push ups on a big ball. It will firm up your chest and back real nice. It's hard for me to lose in that area too, but so far I have lost an inch in 4 weeks.
This discussion has been closed.