Cardio

Options
I have a question....... I live a VERY sedentary life style......So I was wondering if anyone had any tips as to what I should do as in cardio? How I should start out?

Thank you!!

Ashley

Replies

• dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Start slow, with a 2-3 minute warmup of about 3-4mph and then i you would like try 6-7mph for 15-30 seconds and then back to 3.5mph for 45 seconds to a minute. And repeat without the warmup period. This is called high intensity interval training. I do this except with 4.5mph and 9mph and it's doing wonders :). Just make sure to keep a good diet. Hope i helped.
  • bjfrezell
    bjfrezell Posts: 241
    Options
    Start walking, either indoors or out. Pump your arms while you are doing it. If you haven't done any exercising in a while, start out doing however long you can. Each time after that you will be able to do more as you build up stamina. In addition to walking, there's swimming, dancing, walking stairs, etc. I have a treadmill and a recumbent bike, plus a few exercise DVD's. We also have Just Dance for our Wii. My husband walks his indoor parking structure at work during his lunch hour. Walk the mall if you live somewhere cold. The basic thing is to start somewhere and build up from there.
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    I was jumping rope quite a bit. I'd do sets of 100 with a short rest between sets and do as many sets as I could usually 5-6. I also had a routine where I was alternating jumping rope with bodyweight cardio exercises. Now I'm doing kettlebell training 3 days a week and it gives me a great cardio workout at the same time as building strength.
  • gconz
    gconz Posts: 4
    Options
    Definitely start doing interval training, i much prefer it to cardio because it burns fat instead of just calories and there's a 24-48 time period after you do interval type training wher your metabolic rate remains increased which means more fat burning. People adapt to cardio quickly which means your body is then able to find an efficient way of expending and keeping its energy stores intact. This means that your body releases the calories, but holds onto the fat, and at the end of you workout, you stop burning calories. :happy:
  • LetsDoThisTrish
    Options
    My husband actually got the ball rolling for me. He purposely let the car get to empty and gave our WF card to our best friends to avoid the temptation to get gas, that way I'd have to walk our daughter to school (2 blocks away), walk to the grocery store (3 blocks away), walk to church--sometimes in heels LOL (2 blocks away) and eventually it became a habit I just started to do naturally once gas was back in the car LOL.
  • Nickysmom126
    Options
    Thank you ALL for the great replies!!! I appreciate it!!