Good protein powder on a budget?

Options
I currently have Body Fortress, but the artificial sweetener taste is nasty. I'd really love recommendations for protein powder that has no artificial sweeteners -- and preferably, no Stevia either, as I find it has the same aftertaste.

Any suggestions for a relatively good powder at a relatively low price?

Replies

• rickyokeefe
    rickyokeefe Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Try MyProtein :)
  • skywa
    skywa Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    i just buy whatevers best thats on sale at GMC (or where ever im buying it from).

you might want to consider buying online. amazon has some great deals
  • stevemcqueengirl
    stevemcqueengirl Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    Lisa Lynn protein is really tasty. You can go to lisalynnfitness.com
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Muscletch at sams club, 5lbs for 33 bucks.
  • Collinsky
    Collinsky Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    I'll probably end up getting it from Vitacost -- but I really don't want to accidentally waste my money on something with that artificial sweetener aftertaste. I tried looking through a few, but they all have Stevia or sucrolose, so far. I'm hoping someone will be able to narrow down my search for me!
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    I use six star whey plus and I really like it and I get it at Walmart. I think it's around $19 for a 2 lb. tub.
  • heathersmilez
    heathersmilez Posts: 2,579 Member
    Options
    Healthy Planet is a "discount" health store that carries all name brands at a tiny fraction of the cost of GNC. They make their own brand of protein powder that is $34 for 5lbs and a couple times a year it goes on sale for $29, that's <1/2 the price of Body Fortress the second runner up of cheap protein powders.

They ship internationally if you are in the US, often free over $50 or $100 depending on their current promotion. It's delicious too, I love the chocolate.
  • Redladystl
    Redladystl Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    Try one from walmart and also Netrition.com has some pretty good ones and their prices are great too.
  • Collinsky
    Options
    I think the intent of my question isn't clear... I think people are just answering the subject line, without reading the important first post: no artificial sweeteners or Stevia. So people are suggesting brands that have sucralose. Unless of course, Muscletech makes a whey that doesn't?? That would be cool.
  • aregensb
    aregensb Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    I found this article when I googled "protein powder without artificial sweeteners": http://www.supplementmania.com/proteinPowder.html
  • dusty8907
    dusty8907 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    Optimum Nutrition makes an all natural protein powder but it's about 50 bucks for 5 lbs.
  • RonSwanson66
    RonSwanson66 Posts: 1,150 Member
    Options
    TrueProtein is great.

You can choose your flavors, sweeteners, etc., or simply order it unflavored and/or unsweetened. You can also create custom blends (Whey, Casein, egg, etc.).

Shipping can be a little pricey, though.

http://www.truenutrition.com/c-54-proteins.aspx
  • aregensb
    Options
    What is your budget per pound of protein? You might be able to find lower cost, high quality proteins at:

supplementwarehouse.com
    discountsupplements.com

I know Amazon has some too, but I've found discountsupplements to have the best prices. I stick with hydrolized protein which is considered the highest grade (concentrate is the lowest, then isolate, then hydrolized). I like BNRG's Proto Whey, but I just looked on the label and it does contain sucralose. I think it tastes good though. I've only tried the Vanilla and Double Chocolate though.

I've tried Body Fortress isolate vanilla and I do think it tastes a little odd. It also gave me some stomach issues. I'd rather pay a little bit more for the hydrolized protein and not have any stomach issues at all. I got the body fortress 2lb tub on sale for about $20 with a coupon, the 2lb of Proto Whey I got cost about $24 I think.
  • aregensb
    Options
    TrueProtein is great.

You can choose your flavors, sweeteners, etc., or simply order it unflavored and/or unsweetened. You can also create custom blends (Whey, Casein, egg, etc.).

Shipping can be a little pricey, though.

http://www.truenutrition.com/c-54-proteins.aspx

I just wrote a thread about this website the other day asking if anyone had used it. I'm more interested now that I see someone recommend it.
  • andreacord
    Options
    Bodyfortress is 25 at walmart, sometimes you can get it for 20 though and Jillian Michaels is 10$ for a container, the only down side is there's only 14 scoops in the container
  • chicago_dad
    Options
    cheapest protein powder = go fishing. catch lots of fish. smash the fish into a fine powder. mix with chocolate milk. done and done.
  • jessper1572
    Options
    try going to a health food store that sells everything from fruits and veggies to the powder usually they have more of an option and you can buy packets usually about 3 bucks a pop until you find one that you like and being a health food store yo have more natural and organic choices
  • Hartman1986
    Hartman1986 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    cheapest protein powder = go fishing. catch lots of fish. smash the fish into a fine powder. mix with chocolate milk. done and done.
    Uh oh, Looks like a found another reason to go fishing! :)
  • stevesavage09
    stevesavage09 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    well first thing i can say is body fortress can taste good if you use ice cold water and a blender (cookies and cream) but if you want a good tasting cheep powder go to www.vitacost.com and get muscle milk light vanilla cream tast best and its about $24 for a tub
  • Collinsky
    Options
    I found this article when I googled "protein powder without artificial sweeteners": http://www.supplementmania.com/proteinPowder.html

Thanks!! Very helpful!