Anyone know any recipes for low-fat, low-calorie soups?

Options
xsupergemx
xsupergemx Posts: 12 Member
I really enjoy eating soup and was just wondering if anyone knew of any yummy recipes I could try out bearing in mind that I don't like mushroom :)

Replies

• masesl
    masesl Posts: 1
    Options
    This is delicious gumbo that is very filling and healthy. My whole family loves it.

Louisiana Gumbo

1 boneless skinless chicken breast
    1 tsp Cajun Seasoning (or more to taste)
    1Tbsp canola oil
    2 chicken sausages cut into1/2” slices (I used andouille)
    3 cups chopped celery
    1 cup chopped onion
    1 cup cored, seeded, chopped green bell pepper
    4 cloves garlic
    ¼ cup packed fresh thyme
    2 Tbsp whole wheat flour
    15 oz diced tomatoes with juice
    1 cup chicken broth
    ½ lb medium shrimp shelled
    16 oz frozen okra
    ¼ cup fresh parsley

Sprinkle chicken with Cajun seasoning. Heat oil in large pot over high heat. Brown chicken and sausage turning once 2-3 min. Add celery, onion, bell pepper, garlic and thyme. Cook until vegetables start to soften 2-3 min. Add 1 Tbsp water if vegetables stick. Reduce heat to medium. Sprinkle flour over meat and vegetables. Cook stirring 1 minute. Add tomatoes, juice, and broth. Simmer covered until chicken is cooked through about 10 minutes. Add shrimp and okra. Simmer covered until shrimp is cooked through and okra is tender 2-3 minutes. Garnish with parsley.

Serves 4:
    Serving size – 2 cups
    Calories- 276 per serving
    Fat- 7 grams (1 saturated)
    Carbs- 26 grams
    Fiber- 8 grams
    Protein- 27 grams
  • th2much
    th2much Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    I make this vege soup which I LOVE!!
    I start with coleslaw package or you can buy cabbage & chop it finely. In a wok or a pan put a tsp oil (once hot)& put half pkg of coleslaw in this & stir fry. I add chopped garlic (2-3 cloves beacuse I love garlic) . Add any other chopped vege that you like-- I add mushrooms, cauliflower or green peppers. Stir fry for 3-4 mins. At this point I add 2 green chillies for heat but if you don't like spice then don't. Add 2 tbsp of soy sauce ( can use reduce sodiam) and then top with 3 cups of Chicken stock ( low sodiam or reg) let it simmer couple of mins. If you like tofu this is the best time to add half pack of firm tofu cut into bite size pieces. Or you can add turkey meat balls for some protien. I finish this off by adding fresh finally chopped corriender. I don't cook with a recipe so its all about what I have at hand or what I feel like eating.
  • jmvmisc24
    jmvmisc24 Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    check out pinterest they have a lot of good soups. Personally if i am on the go i love cambells harvest soups they are like 200 calories in a can.
  • Carolyn130
    Options
    google the weight watchers vegetable soup
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Isn't the point of eating to meet your macros & calories for the day? So... I just don't get the fascination with low-cal anymore... it seems like you're just postponing the inevitable.
  • Naughtybiscuit
    Naughtybiscuit Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I'm a soup addict too, one of my favourites is carrot and coconut. Recipe is at http://weescottishkitchen.nourishedmagazine.com.au/2008/02/12/carrot-coconut-soup/

Can be tweaked to make it more low-cal (light coconut milk, I only put 1 tablespoon of olive oil in instead of all that butter!!)
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Clara
    Clara Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    bump
  • Shyloh1
    Shyloh1 Posts: 422 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a soup I made this week: