P90X vs Insanity. Which one should I get?

Options
Hey guys. I want to get either the P90X or the insanity workouts to do. I've lost almost 70lbs and have about another 10 to go but besides that I want to just get in better shape and have more muscles! Which one do you recommend as far as price, workouts, etc. Any cons and pros to each?

Thanks!

Replies

• holeshottdr
    holeshottdr Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I personally like insanity. I use it on my the days I don't lift. P90X is geared a little more towards strengh building, but if your serious about gaining muscle, use free weights.
  • 2hungariangirls
    Options
    :smile: Bumping because I'm curious as well.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options
    Depends on your goals. P90x focuses on building strength, with the added benefit of some cardio, whereas Insanity focuses on improving cardiovascular condition, with the added benefit of building strength.
  • bakrgirl74
    Options
    I have done both of them.. As others have said. P90X is geared more towards building muscle. It is a butt kicker and Although I only lost about 16 pounds (following the eating plan with P90X) I lost a lot of inches. I did Insanity last year for about a month. It is HARD!!!!!!!!!! I loved it though, and am going to do it once I get into a bit better shape! It is all cardio all the time, and it literally kicks your butt! I don't think I was eating enough while doing insanity because I didn't lose any weight... nothing. I am going to make my own hybrid work out with the P90X and the insanity, mixed with running, this spring/summer...
  • mb236707
    mb236707 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I am a fan of Insanity. It is a really hard workout, but I always felt really good afterwards and I felt like it definitely made a difference. Plus, I actually enjoyed that Insanity didn't require any weights : )
  • darkling_glory
    darkling_glory Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    Insanity is INSANE. It's just drills and drills and more drills. If you like that kind of thing, go for that. Or Turbo Fire. Turbo Fire is HIIT (high intensity interval training). It's basically cardio moves with periods of super high intensity cardio sprinkled in.

If you like working more specific muscle groups and like strength training, P90x (or its predecessor Power 90) might be better for you.

Beachbody workouts are really great. But they are not necessarily cheap. If you have On Demand or any streaming video, it could be fun to try out a variety of workout videos before you decide.

Good luck!