Vitamins or B12

Options
My wife and I have been using the MFP for about a month now and we are both seeing about 15 lbs lost. Both of us are 27 years old and trying to lose 40+ lbs and have never taken any type of vitamins. We are interested in which vitamins we should be looking for. I was thinking of taking B12 or Fish oil just to help raise my metabolism some. Does it work and if so how much should i take? Also are they any other vitamins we should be taking to assist in better living or dieting in general.

Replies

• xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    vitamins will not raise your metabolism.

and if you are eating healthy you should be getting all your RDA's in your diet
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    If you are a vegetarian you need b12. Beyond that you should be fine just by eating healthy.
  • hermione_ar
    hermione_ar Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I've been taking prescription vitamin D and over the counter vit B&C complex and it's made a big difference to my immunity and energy levels. Doesn't do anything to your metabolism, but i've found it makes me feel better, and i've been way less sick.
  • HannahMarieMcDougald
    Options
    I take a muti vitamin, biotin,b12,C,Melatonin,
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Depending on where you live you may want to take vitamin D. That is true. Here in the pacific northwest it is advised to have about 350% of RDA of vitamin D.
  • morkiemama
    morkiemama Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    You should be assessed by a doctor for what vitamins you may be deficient in before starting a vitamin regimen. This is usually done through a blood test. I am personally vitamin D deficient and instructed to take that along with some other vitamins.

There are vitamins you can take and OD on and be fine (water-soluble, such as vitamin C) because you literally just pee them out :P However, there are vitamins you should not OD on.
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    You'd be better served by taking a good quality multi to cover your bases, check out something like Source Naturals Life Force. It's cheap but uses high quality sources of vitamins and minerals. Also add in a fish oil with a good amount of EPA/ DHA.
  • heather62803
    heather62803 Posts: 266 Member
    Options
    A multivitamin works for me. .I don't know about the metabolism part, but I know I feel better when I remember to take it in the morning!
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    Yes you cannot OD on b vitamins or vit c because they are water soluble. All the rest are fat soluble and are therefore stored in adipose tissue.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    Nothing wrong with taking vitamins, nothing but good for you, I take a sub lingual b12 daily, and a B-complex, and a multi. If you are wanting to see if you are deficient in any areas, your Family doctor can run a simple blood test and tell you if you "need" to supplement. I don't know much about Fish oil, so...I googled it, I found this...... http://www.omega-3.us/natural-healing-with-omega-3-fish-oil/weight-loss. Good luck to you and your wife!
  • jennifershoo
    jennifershoo Posts: 3,198 Member
    Options
    If you ever decide to take B12, be aware that you should take a B complex instead. Otherwise, you could cause a deficiency of the other vitamins B.
  • liroez29
    liroez29 Posts: 221
    Options
    If you ever decide to take B12, be aware that you should take a B complex instead. Otherwise, you could cause a deficiency of the other vitamins B.

I take both B12 and a B-Complex, Doctor prescribed.