normal foods allowed?

Options
hey yall...i've seen a couple of folks diaries on here...some of which include "normal foods"(pizza, etc.)...is anyone having luck with this "normal food" choice? also i need more friends...lol my beliefs are the more people you get inspiration and motivation from, the more luck we'll have with this program...:smile:

Replies

• schnarfo
    schnarfo Posts: 764 Member
    Options
    lol i totally eat normal food, when I was losing weight (im now on maintenance) i still ate normal foods and just kept within my allowance for calories and kept up with the workouts. Add me and you will see my diary isnt all diet foods, veggies or fruit lol x
  • cmcole2012
    cmcole2012 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    By "normal foods" I'm going to assume that this means everyday junk or comfort foods. There is absolutely nothing wrong with the occasional treat for yourself like a slice of pizza, but there are correct ways to go about it.

First: Everything is OK in moderation. Treat yourself, but limit yourself to a safe and satisfactory portion size.

Second: If you can make it at home, you can make it healthier (and more delicious). Pizza is a great example. Instead of spending 15 bucks on a large Papa Johns, I will make a honey wheat dough (healthy and delicious), and I will top it with fresh and healthy ingredients like an organic tomato sauce, reduced fat cheeses, lots of veggies, etc. Not only do I end up with a better tasting pizza, I end up with a more healthy and overall satisfying pizza.

All in all, do not be scared to eat the foods that you love. Do it the right way and you will always be satisfied. Also, remember, calories are calories, are calories. No matter how much "normal food" you eat as opposed to "diet food", it's all calories. As long as you are under your calorie total you are still on a diet!

Hope this helps and good luck!
  • Cowenlaw1
    Cowenlaw1 Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    If I couldn't include "normal" foods, I would have fallen off the wagon a long time ago. Just count your calories and be honest about portion size. Also, remember that one bad meal is no reason to quit.

I also do extra exercise to "earn" the pizza, etc.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add me, too. I'm an 'everything in moderation, choices' person, so a lot of what I eat is what some on here would probably not touch. I've been losing about 1lbs a month on average, so nowhere near the speed some people here have lost weight at, but I'm fairly new to the MFP thing and not sure how it's working for me yet as it's requiring me to eat more than I did in the past, and always like having new people to chat with!
  • sassy0507
    Options
    thanks alot! i'll try those ideas! :smile:
  • hdlb123
    hdlb123 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Yep, of course they are allowed. You can eat whatever you want. If I know I'm going to be having a "normal food" then I pre-plan my day to make sure it fits in. I don't eat a lot of the things that people seem to love like pizza, store bought cookies, ice cream etc, but I did fit pringles into my day yesterday, and I"ll be fitting in a pop tomorrow.

That said, i still don't think its a great idea to have "treats" all the time, the better we eat, the better we feel. But thats my opinion. Lots of people swear they can eat the junk and still feel great.
  • sc1572
    sc1572 Posts: 2,309 Member
    Options
    i have ice cream everyday pretty much, i get my daily want of peanut butter, i enjoy burgers and pizza...i've lost 23 lbs :)
  • Keegansmum6
    Keegansmum6 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    Go ahead and add me if you wish,I pretty much eat what I want in moderation :)
  • mrschappet
    mrschappet Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    hey yall...i've seen a couple of folks diaries on here...some of which include "normal foods"(pizza, etc.)...is anyone having luck with this "normal food" choice? also i need more friends...lol my beliefs are the more people you get inspiration and motivation from, the more luck we'll have with this program...:smile:

everything in moderation hun :-) I couldn't live my life being totally restricted from yummy foods that are "bad" but I do always try to make better choices when reaching for those no no items.. ie: I order papa murphy's low cal delite pizza.. or I get non fat ice cream, if I want some chocolate I reach for all natural stuff and when I want wine its red wine :-) you can have those things you love just moderate and make wise choices :-)
  • twinmom430
    twinmom430 Posts: 457 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. For me, if I don't eat things I love once in awhile I won't stick to a healthier lifestyle, as long as it's withing my calorie/fat/sodium etc goal, I'll still eat it, occasionally. Feel free to friend me. Good luck!
  • onedayillbamilf
    onedayillbamilf Posts: 662 Member
    Options
    I like some abnormal foods, but I usually stick to normal food because I'm not too terribly adventurous when it comes to food.
  • vjrose
    vjrose Posts: 809 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation. If I couldn't have chocolate or cookies, or the occassional serving of chips I would probably fail, lol. It's all about whether you can exercise the self control to have just one serving. Some people have to give up any junk or comfort food because if they start they will eat the whole thing.
  • Pandorian
    Pandorian Posts: 2,055 Member
    Options
    If I couldn't have normal foods I wouldn't be here. This isn't a "diet" where i'm going to eat this way until I lose weight and then 'change back" to what got me fat in the first place.
    This is me learning how to enjoy these every day foods, or healthier versions of them, so I can get to the proper weight and stay there, long term.
  • tataliciousd89
    Options
    I love junk! and I do allow myself the occasional treat, but for the most part I eat great food that tastes good, but is also good for me. Just need to get creative with your cooking/shopping. Right now I'm eating only strictly healthy foods, but thats because I challenged myself to it for the month of January. When I'm done tho I'm totally gonna eat a bag of hot cheetos.
  • harryzrw
    Options
    I have very good results with " normal food". Stop eating large amounts of whatever it is you crave. I eat a slice of pizza 2X a week. For breakfast and lunch my wife and I cook at home. Cut the sugar , bread, pasta, sweets. I never had a yogurt until about a month ago.....now can not go a day without one. Of course no-fat or 1% milkfat. I stopped all sweets period. There are days when I want something sweet and I fight it. I went from 410 lbs last February to 380 now. Need to lose some more pounds before doctor says ok to my getting a lap band operation hopefully soon....I also eat cold cuts....very moderately.

Good Luck
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    i look at it not as a diet, but a life change...i love pizza and i would not give it up now or ever...it is about planning accordingly.

I do not understand why people cut things like "normal food" out of their diet while dieting...if you are going to go back to eating them after dieting you are just going to gain weight back, add it in now, learn how to make good choices revolving that slice of pizza and you will in the future also :)
  • thesameas
    thesameas Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    That's the great thing about MFP, it's not a diet ;).

Agree with the above poster who metnioned to make foods that you crave yourself. I will be much healthier that way and there are heaps of low cal recipies for pretty much everything is you google.
  • TrailRunner61
    TrailRunner61 Posts: 2,505 Member
    Options
    There are several things I dont think I'll ever eat again because I choose not to but there are some things I'll never omit entirely! I just plan ahead and try to eat healthier options. Example, tonight I wanted pizza so I had a Schwanns bruschetta pizza (single serving sized) and added my own fresh mushrooms to it. It honestly tastes as good as any pizza Ive ever had and it has a LOT less calories.

If you do eat something that's not so healthy, dont beat yourself up about it. Just tell yourself you'll do better the next day and start over. Never give up!
  • tsh0ck
    tsh0ck Posts: 1,970 Member
    Options
    short answer? yes.

and don't let the organaveganazis bully you. you eat what you are comfortable eating. some things may have to turn into a 'treat.' but many of the foods you eat are probably just fine ... just in smaller amounts. if you know you might want to have a big-calorie meal later in the day, have a light breakfast. just plan ahead a bit and make sure it fits in your calorie limit.

and, if you have an unexpected treat, more working out. I had to pay powdered doughnut penance last night at the gym, for example. but those extra 30 minutes on the elliptical were certainly worth that sweet little snack.
  • BenderFitness
    Options
    You have to eat in a way that you will be able to maintain throughout your life. Obviously you will go to maintenance calorie wise, but you want to create a healthy lifestyle. That said, I think it's really important to include "normal" foods in your diet, and learn how to eat them in moderation. :) Keep the healthy changes, but make it sustainable.