Protein Drinks/Shakes

Options
I had a protein shake today (GNC). 3 scoops of protein powder with 1 1/2 cups of 1% milk. Thought I was doing great. Only to discover that it had a total of 445 calories :( Does anyone have suggestions on how to make protein drinks that don't have so many calories in them?

Replies

• bahacca
    bahacca Posts: 878 Member
    Options
    186 calories in mine-Spiru-tein-calls for 1 scoop(86 calories) and I use either vanilla coconut milk or skim milk-1 cup so 90 calories. 3 scoops seems like a LOT of protein powder!
  • gaylecw
    gaylecw Posts: 34
    Options
    Thanks, I'll try that. The GNC said 3 scoops.
  • sagardner70
    Options
    I just bought protein shake powder at GNC and the guy said that I would only need 1 scoop. The 3 scoops are for body builders. I use 1 scope and 1% milk and it's about 190 calories
  • gaylecw
    Options
    Oh thanks!!! I will try that! Do you put it in the blender with ice or anything?
  • RogerF765
    RogerF765 Posts: 113
    Options
    I make mine with Six Star Whey plus and the powder has 150 cal. I usually mix it with some nonfat milk or juice and if I'm having just a shake for breakfast I'll blend in some applesauce a banana or some grapes. Sometimes I do all of the above if I'm really hungry post workout.
  • You can replace the 1% milk with almond milk...or even better unsweetened almond milk (only 35 calories a cup)
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Jillian Micheals whey protein chocolate or vanilla 100 calories 15 grams protein only 3gr sugar.
  • gerirojas
    gerirojas Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    I make the best - MRM 100% Dutch choc whey protein, 1 Scoop 85 cal, in a blender I add 4 oz water, 1 banana 100 cal, 3/4 cup frozen berry medley (strawberries,blackberries,blueberries, rasberries) - 80 cal blend and throw in a handful of ice and blend until smooth, pour and voila a nice thick protein smoothies chocolate berry, grand total of 265 cal keeps me full for several hours.
  • boo333
    boo333 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    GNC meal replacement is only 180 calories for 2 scoops 3 grams of sugar( Vanilla bean flavor
  • gaylecw
    Options
    Sounds delicious!! Thanks!
  • gregpack
    gregpack Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    It seems like liquid shakes come in two forms, the "meal replacment" type, and the "protein booster" type. The latter usually has fewer calories. Most of the shakes I use contain about 130-140 calories and provide at least 20 gs of protein.

Many protein shakes can be mixed with water instead of milk. That saves you at least 90 calories right there. They don't taste as good , but some are not bad at all. I use one vanilla flavored shake as a replacement for milk in cereal. The chocolate mix is not bad mixed with cold coffee.
  • sunleigh
    sunleigh Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    yes i mix my protein shake in water daily and use a small amount of water like 4 ounces, quick and easy to get down and tastes good. i use the eas whey chocolate shake. sometimes i will add a couple ice cubes or frozen berries and it is really tasty also!