Help! On what to get at the grocery store.

Options
Last year around the beginning of November, 2011. I finally found a job. YAY ME! But, I haven't been doing the best on buying great food. I need help on what I need to buy at the grocery store. Lately I've been trying to do the portion control, don't get me wrong I have been doing very well from that, but I feel like it is time for me to start buying more healthier food, other than the unhealthy food that I've been eating.

Please feel free to comment. Thank You.

Replies

• swilk627
    swilk627 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    Shop the perimeter primarily, not the interior. :)
  • southernsweetie1978
    southernsweetie1978 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    There is a good book out there that you can probably find at your local library if you don't want to buy it. It's called "Eat this, Not That" and there is one made just for the grocery store. I got it from the library and wrote down a bunch of healthier options they recommended.
  • karinaes
    karinaes Posts: 570 Member
    Options
    on my grocery shopping list always:
    strawberries
    blueberries
    raspberries
    bananas
    oranges
    apples
    spinach
    spring mix
    etc...

greek non fat yogurt
    almond milk
    flax seeds
    walnuts
    almonds
    & nut mix
    market pantry (Target) protein bars
    kind bars
  • lovelyladiel
    Options
    Google the Dr. Oz shopping list. It will give you a large assortment of items and you can create awesome meals. I love using his list and adding new foods to my list weekly!
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Perimeter, bulk, and less processed. If you buy chopped lettuce, for example, it's more than if you buy a head of lettuce. Processed foods sometimes seem cheaper, but when you look at the amounts in packages (like frozen chicken fingers vs making your own) you get less.

Also, try to eat as seasonally as possible. Out of season things tend to come from other countries (READ: $$$$)

And try to shop locally, if you can. Check out localharvest.org to locate farmer's markets and other natural local resources.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Stick with food that have minimal ingredients...and ones you can pronounce. Watch out for things that have added sugar (I'm very anti-high fructose corn syrup). The best option is to start with whole food ingredients...fruits, veggies, whole grains etc. I do my best to buy organic (though it can be expensive...so I select what's most important - dairy, eggs (free range organic), if I ate meat that would be organic too (growth hormones can do some strange things to your body), corn, soy and thin skinned fruits.)
    Hope that helps
  • rebeccaboise
    rebeccaboise Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    I find I'm eating a lot more protein which is great. It keeps me full and satisfied. But I need a lot of fiber in my diet to keep things moving. I buy wheat bran...just plain and stir it into oatmeal or yogurt. Tastes good and 1/4 cup has 7 grams of fiber! I try to aim for about 25 grams of fiber per day.
  • tikanique
    tikanique Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    My new fav that I keep in the house is arugula. It is much better for salads that iceberg and romaine lettuce. It has an almost kind of peppery flavor, it doesn't wilt easy and it goes with a lot of things. I wash it as soon as I bring it home then put it in a container so when I'm making a meal, i can just grab a handful or two of arugula and add it to the plate without having to wash it then.

I also keep light soy milk, eggs, shredded wheat, red and green peppers, limes, scallions, sweet onion, salsa, fat free sour cream and chicken breasts in the house. In a pinch these ingredients can be used in various combinations to make a quick, healthy meal.
  • KittyMonster
    Options
    Make sure you're pantry and fridge is stocked! Canned goods: tuna, tomato sauce, beans, veggies. Dry goods: brown rice, steel cut oats, beans, dried fruit. Fridge: string cheese, eggs, meats, veggies, and fruits.
  • mrsvandenberg
    Options
    I like the suggestion about shopping the perimeter, and not the interior. Never thought about it before.. . but yeah.

My suggestion is to purchase healthy snacks like
    * sugar snap peas
    * baby carrots (or whole ones and make sticks)
    * celery
    * berries
    If you put them into portions (I use an oz scale purchased at my local grocery store) it makes it easier to track.

Look for 99% lean ground Turkey and make steamed Turkey Balls, or Chicken Breasts that you can steam, slice and place into baggies for the future to grab and go.I put them into snack sized baggies to nibble on throughout the day. I also found Special K Cracker Chips - yaUM! Just look at the box for what is considered a "serving" cause each one is different. The Sea Salt ones, you can have 30 and so forth. I think Rice Cakes have sadly gotten a bad rap over the years, but they have really come along. I am fond of Quaker's White Cheddar - although they are found on the interior : ))