Chia seeds

Options
What are your opinions and experiences?

I currently grind flax seed on a daily basis for the omega-3 and fiber. I am reading that chia seeds are a better source of both nutrients.

Replies

• basenji
    basenji Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I put them in my morning smoothies.
  • _VoV
    _VoV Posts: 1,494 Member
    Options
    They do have a slightly better nutrition profile, and tend to have a longer shelf life. They also can be eaten whole.

In the summer months, I make a chia fresca that I find refreshing. I also like chias on salad and in some soups. Definitely versatile!
  • valerietoxii
    valerietoxii Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    ... I didn't even know you could eat Chia seeds. Like, ch-ch-ch-chia?
  • ChefJesse
    Options

Yes, just the same chia. They have amazing fiber and omega -3, and a pretty decent protein content compared to other non-animal protein sources. They have a higher fat content (about 9g per ounce), but I think they make a great tool in your pantry, as does flax.
  • valerietoxii
    valerietoxii Posts: 93 Member
    Options

Yes, just the same chia. They have amazing fiber and omega -3, and a pretty decent protein content compared to other non-animal protein sources. They have a higher fat content (about 9g per ounce), but I think they make a great tool in your pantry, as does flax.

Wow, how cool! Good to know. I learn something new on here everyday.
  • mhotch
    mhotch Posts: 901 Member
    Options
    I put them in my morning breakfast. I just read a recipe in clean eating, mixing chia seeds, water, and crushed fresh strawberries to make a jam like spread, I think I would like to try it.
  • livingonpurpose77
    livingonpurpose77 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I use both Chai seeds and flax. Both are good for you either way. I had to order mine through amazon though since they are not as assessable as flax