Foot pain...

Options
So, my doctor told me I have "plantar fasciaitis" (and the Dr. Scholl's thing said I have flat feet)....I like to do a lot of cardio-type exercises (jump rope, zumba, elliptical, roller skating, etc), however lately when I have been working out my feet have hurt soooooo incredibly bad. It got to a point where when I'd jump rope, within two minutes of jumping rope I'd want to cry 'cuz the pain was so bad. :( For a while I stopped working out (partly 'cuz of the pain, partly 'cuz when the school break came, the gym on campus was closed). And, now I want to start going back to the gym, but honestly I'm dreading the pain. :(

I've tried wrapping my feet. I've tried using the Dr. Scholl's inserts. I've tried stretching my feet before working out. None of it seems to help.

Any suggestions?????????

Replies

• KBGirts
    KBGirts Posts: 882 Member
    Options
    Lots of icing, lots of ibuprofen, and look into getting a night splint.
  • karalynnroll
    karalynnroll Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have the same problem. The one thing that helped me was the custom inserts that my podiatrist made for me. I also have heard that icing the foot can help, but I haven't tried this.
  • AakifahSiebert
    Options
    Lots of icing, lots of ibuprofen, and look into getting a night splint.

I can't take ibuprofen, nsaids (i.e. anti-inflammatorys) or aspirin.
    So, I guess it's Tylenol for me (which doesn't work as well, usually, imo). Oh well.

What's a night splint?
    And icing...afterward, I'm assuming?
  • wmlpd6
    wmlpd6 Posts: 135
    Options
    You may have to try to low-impact cardio like exercise bike, rowing, etc
  • Switty_Kitty
    Switty_Kitty Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. It's a horrible pain huh? I've been told the only thing that's going to alleviate it is custom orthotics. Get it take care of ASAP otherwise you'll develope heel spurs if you leave it untreated.

I also attribute 30 lbs of my excess weight to it :(
  • Shajsum
    Shajsum Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    New support shoes maybe?? IDK how bad the pain is for you but I know I was having some similar pain for a while and I went and invested in some GOOD supportive running shoes and the pain went away for me. Make sure your buying the proper size for fitness shoes, I know it sounds funny but I wear a size bigger in my fitness shoes than I do in all of my regular shoes...Good luck!
  • JackieLM
    JackieLM Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Do you have any back issues also? I thought I had the same foot thing, Plantar faciaits, in fact, I had a doctor tell me it was that... but turns out my foot pain was caused by a nerve being pinched in my back. Just wanted to throw that out there because I was SHOCKED it was being caused by my back.

in regards to foot if it isn't caused by back, you can get a night "boot"... that holds your foot in a flexed position... thus stretching out the ligaments... uncomfortable, but works....
  • AakifahSiebert
    Options
    I have plantar fasciitis and heel spurs. It's a horrible pain huh? I've been told the only thing that's going to alleviate it is custom orthotics. Get it take care of ASAP otherwise you'll develope heel spurs if you leave it untreated.

I also attribute 30 lbs of my excess weight to it :(

Yeah, I'm sure my weight doesn't help the situation.

Yeah, my doc said if it doesn't get better, she'd send me to a podiatrist...problem is I don't have health insurance. Right now I go to a clinic that works on a sliding scale. Ugh.
  • AakifahSiebert
    Options
    Do you have any back issues also? I thought I had the same foot thing, Plantar faciaits, in fact, I had a doctor tell me it was that... but turns out my foot pain was caused by a nerve being pinched in my back. Just wanted to throw that out there because I was SHOCKED it was being caused by my back.

in regards to foot if it isn't caused by back, you can get a night "boot"... that holds your foot in a flexed position... thus stretching out the ligaments... uncomfortable, but works....

Hmmm... I didn't think about the back issue. I do have degenerative disc disease and a slightly bulging disc in my lower back (and I do get sciatica nerve pain as well from time to time). The pain in my foot, however, is only when I'm working out or standing for long periods of time. When I have a follow-up with my doc, I'll be sure to ask her if my back problems could also be effecting my foot.

Ty for the suggestion on the "night boot."

To the poster about the shoes...yeah, that was one of the first things I did to try to alleviate the pain. They didn't help really.
  • MYLOV
    MYLOV Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I've had plantar fasciitis for 3 years now and have found a lot of relief with the following:

Never go barefoot
    Wear inserts from podiatrist. (a friend of mine has had good luck with SuperFeet inserts)
    Ice & massaging (gently) heel with a tennis ball when it flares up

What has made the biggest difference for me is thus: Daily (gentle) calf stretching. Or many times a day. Or whenever it hurts. Use a roller if necessary to loosen the calf muscle. Podiatrist never mentioned it (but did recommend surgery - no thanks!), but my personal trainer did, and I'm so glad!

Good luck to you!
  • MissDana1105
    MissDana1105 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Get custom inserts, it is heaven. I could barely walk through the grocery store without my feet killing me and now I can do a whole lot more and I think my feet are actually getting better because of the inserts. Your feet will only get worse if you just try and baby them.

Since you don't have insurance I would say try and contact who ever makes them locally directly. It might cost $200-$400 or so but it is SOOOOO worth the money. Losing weight will help but its really hard when you can't exercise like you want to because of the pain.
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    i have flat feet. was born with them, lucky me hahaha.

the best, and really the ONLY thing that will help, is to go to your local foot doctor and get them to make you a professional pair of inserts. you will need to wear them almost constantly for 2-3 weeks before you really feel fine and back to normal. then you can keep them in your workout shoes and etc.

there is no easy fix. icing alone wont fix it. I dont mean to be harsh its just ive had them since i was born and i have had to wear inserts ever since i can remember. i know the feeling you are talking about because i get it when i stop wearing them or when i brake them and right away i have to go back to the doctor.

the inserts are expensive but they are usually made with fiberglass and are therefore made to really last. my last pair broke because of my own stupidity but it was not due to wear and tear.

there are online websites that make inserts that are much more durable than the doctor scholls ones (personally i dont feel that those help me in any way at all since their arch is not near high enough) but those will usually only last anywhere from 1-3 months depending on the use and your weight.

I hope this helps :)
  • sidhe31
    sidhe31 Posts: 96
    Options
    I agree with the idea of getting custom made orthotics (inserts) for your shoes. A pedorthotist or orthotist can make them as well, it's not just limited to podiatrists. Just an FYI, the devices can take some getting used to and may require some adjustments. If you can find a place that makes them on site, it's often a better way to go than having the centrally fabricated ones. That way, when you need adjustments, they can be done while you wait, rather than having to go a week or more while your inserts are mailed to the lab and returned, all the work being done by people who have never actually seen your feet...
  • StephnElbow
    StephnElbow Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    http://www.alevafootcare.com/

^^ this is the website i use when im in between professional pairs. they are much better than the doctor scholls or any others you buy at a local drugstore
  • yeabby
    yeabby Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    My sister has the same problems. She rolls her foot on a golf ball once a day. Then she also freezes water in dixie cups and rolls her foot on them after exercising.
  • AakifahSiebert
    Options
    Thank you everyone for your responses and help!!! I will def start trying to ice my feet and look into a "night boot."

When I have my follow-up with my doc in a couple weeks, I will talk to her about seeing a podiatrist to try to get some orthotic inserts. Maybe they will have someone they (the clinic) use that don't charge an arm and a leg.
  • tessa022707
    tessa022707 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Cortisone shots, twice in each foot and staying off my feet for 1 week...never flared back up again....but holy cow I feel for you it hurts like heck!!
  • kadoodle76
    Options

I have heard the boot works wonders but if you are not the type that wiggles too much at night, try sleeping with ur feet hanging over the edge. It puts your feet in more of a "standing up" position and u will have less pain in the morning. I also wear a elastic band thing around the middle of my foot at night and it really helps.
  • wimmerfan
    Options
    i don't have the same problems with my feet but i have fractured my left foot 2 years in a row and am working on 10 months fractured this time. at one point my podiatrist said that low impact exercices are the best for feet problems.
  • psychomomxs4
    psychomomxs4 Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I too had that problem...I'm sure I spent close to a thousand dollars going three times a week to the foot doctor...and yes, he made me custom insoles ( which hurt my feet)...I did lots of ice....and lots of Aleve..

WHAT WORKED I went for a massage and he put Kinesio Tape on my foot once a week for a month...problem gone! He also showd me how to tape(Kinesio tape) myself in case the problem comes back. Now I have it done when every I have an over worked area.