Ran for one hour without stopping

Options
mrk34
mrk34 Posts: 227 Member
This morning I ran for one hour without stopping. I didn’t think I would be able to do it, but I did it. Went out for my usual 2-mile run and decided to keep running after I reached my end point. I couldn’t believe that I was able to keep running for so long. It is a big step forward for me. I remember very well when I started running last May, and for a long time dreamed about running a mile without stopping.

The key to my success this morning was to force myself to keep running at a slow, comfortable speed from the very beginning. When I run 2-mile runs every second day my first mile is always below 9 minutes. This time I forced myself to make it slower. Kept going at that pace and it worked for me.

Distance: 6.98 miles. Time: 1 hour 12 minutes 45 seconds.

Replies

• MissDana1105
    MissDana1105 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    AWESOME! If my feet ever start to get better I am going to start running again. Congrats!
  • ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Great job! That's an awesome NSV!
  • joakool
    joakool Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Congratulations! I just started running last September. I remember my first day of c25k, when I had to run for 2 minutes non-stop and I was afraid I wouldn't be able to do it. To date, my longest run has been around 7 1/2 miles which took me over an hour. I have run in three 5K races (my 4th one is next weekend). I am addicted to running, going longer distances, and improving my time. I never would have guessed I had it in me! So, I understand what a great accomplishment that is for you. Congratulations again!
  • bono
    bono Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Inspirational!

I dream of running...
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    That's amazing! What a nsv! I hope to overcome my asthma so I can run, too :)
  • Aesop101
    Aesop101 Posts: 758 Member
    Options
    That is truly awesome! Current dream is to run a mile without stopping.
  • fastbelly
    fastbelly Posts: 727 Member
    Options
    I remember when I ran my first 10k...

Then my first 20k

there was a time too where I'd struggle to run for 30 seconds!!

This goes to show that if you put enough time and dedication into something you can achieve things you never thought possible!

Congratulations! :)
  • momtozmc
    momtozmc Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Wow!! Good going!!!!

Running outside always makes me run longer and faster than on my treadmill. I thought I was running at a slower speed today too... but I guess I was at a good clip... did 5 miles in 47 minutes!!!

Keep hitting the pavement!!!

L
  • Kilter
    Kilter Posts: 188 Member
    Options
    Kick *kitten*! Now that's an achievement to be proud of. Congratulations.
  • MumOfGirlsOnly
    MumOfGirlsOnly Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Congratulations that's an excellent achievement.
  • melrose09
    melrose09 Posts: 271
    Options
    Way to go! You rock!
  • stayxtrue
    stayxtrue Posts: 1,190 Member
    Options
    Awesome effort! thats fitness right there :D
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Pretty soon you'll be making off-handed comments to workmates, neighbors, and friends - "ya, I did a couple 10K runs last week" as if it was nothing.
  • ATT949
    ATT949 Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    Congratulations. You're achieving a lot of goals and you should feel proud of what you've accomplished.

As best I can put together, you're at about the same age I was went my weight started climbing quickly (I was about 220 in late 2001, 250 in 2006, and 295 by 2008). Congrats on not going down that road!

If you want to keep running, you might look into a Couch to 5 k training plan from Hal Higdon. It allows you to determine your own pace and progress as you feel you're ready.

You're intuition is right on the money about slowing down and going longer. Sub-9 for a newbie is pretty quick. It's not just that you can't run all that far at that pace, running faster than your body can handle can cause injuries, some of which can take weeks or months to show up.

If you're interested in making running a hobby, there's a runners "group" here on MFP under the Community tab. Drop in and check it out.

Again, congrats.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Great accomplishment! a 9 min mile is pretty fast for a beginner. It's good to start out slow and work on distance or time spent running. Eventually, you will naturally get faster.

I use to run to get good time. I would worry about if it looked like I was running fast to passer by's, than it hit me.... nobody knows how fast im running but me. 99.9% of them probably wish that they were running like me, without regards to how fast I was going.

Sounds like you've got it! Congrats and keep up the good work!
  • KimertRuns13_1
    Options
    That is an amazing accomplishment. Congrats!
  • sakamanojr
    sakamanojr Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    So cool to read your enthusiasm. Congratulations and what is next ?
    May the WIND ALWAYS BE AT YOUR BACK !!!
  • gleechick609
    Options
    Way to go!! I have to stop for a couple seconds to stretch my legs when I do my long runs. one day, I hope to just run without stopping!
  • andrejjorje
    andrejjorje Posts: 497 Member
    Options
    11.2 and the time is OK. Super duper. Good for you an congrats.
    This morning I ran for one hour without stopping. I didn’t think I would be able to do it, but I did it. Went out for my usual 2-mile run and decided to keep running after I reached my end point. I couldn’t believe that I was able to keep running for so long. It is a big step forward for me. I remember very well when I started running last May, and for a long time dreamed about running a mile without stopping.

The key to my success this morning was to force myself to keep running at a slow, comfortable speed from the very beginning. When I run 2-mile runs every second day my first mile is always below 9 minutes. This time I forced myself to make it slower. Kept going at that pace and it worked for me.

Distance: 6.98 miles. Time: 1 hour 12 minutes 45 seconds.
  • JennS19
    JennS19 Posts: 642 Member
    Options
    Wow!! WTG!! That's just awesome! I hope to one day run 1 hour straight!