Working night and dieting.

Options
I start working nights starting this Monday (10:30pm-6:30am) and I'm at a loss on how to go about this. I know I'm going to want to sleep when I get home but I also want to eat dinner with my family before I go to work :/ Any suggestions?

Replies

• sfoster3171982
    sfoster3171982 Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    What I do is:

9:00-11 am Wake up and eat breakfast
    Snack
    2-3 Eat Lunch
    Snack
    6-8 Eat Dinner
    GO TO WORK
    11 Break eat a snack usually a kind bar and water
    1:30-200 Lunch Salad ( this starts your new day so make sure you log correctly)
    4 Last break usually just water but if working real hard I will have almonds or sunflower seeds
    6-6:30 Get home sometimes just want to go to sleep but if hungry I eat 2 ounces of cheese and go to bed
  • zandhmom75
    zandhmom75 Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    I work 7p.m.-7a.m., and this is how I set up my diary. I like to keep it the same, whether I'm working or not, because my schedule is all over the place.

Breakfast 05-09
    Snack 09-12
    Lunch 12-15
    Snack 15-17
    Dinner 17-20
    Snack 20-05

When I work, I log my "lunch", and any at-work snacks in the 20-05 Snack slot. If I sleep all day, I don't log anything under the Snack 09-12, Lunch 12-15, or Snack 15-17 slots. I guess I just always log anything I eat at the actual time of day that it is. I hope that helps and it's not confusing! :smile:
  • Smiler106
    Smiler106 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I frequently work 6 pm - 6 am nights, and I find that for me it's easier to reverse my meals,...

- eat a full hot meal when I wake up
    - have a light meal at midnight like soup or sandwich
    - have a very light meal at the end of my shift, usually cerial or porridge as I am in bed less than an hour after my shift!
    - I snack on fruit between meals if I need to.
    - On work out days I work out before shift.

It's easy enough when you get in the routine but I find switching back to days difficult, in terms of sleep rather than food.
  • xraychick77
    xraychick77 Posts: 1,775 Member
    Options
    i work nights.

i just eat like anyone else would on day shifts. when i get home from work i eat, when i wake up i eat, i eat lunch during work and i snack here and there. i count from midnight to midnight.
  • SparksFly460
    Options
    I alternate day & night shifts. Twice a week I work 8am-8pm, then I work midnight-8am twice more...off for three days. My diary is set up in time slots:

8am-noon
    noon-4pm
    4pm-8pm
    8pm-midnight
    midnight-4am
    4am-8am

I eat "normally during dayshifts and days off. On the day OF my overnight shift, I sleep late, have breakfast around 2-3pm, normal dinner with the BF ~8pm. I'm off to work, usually snack on fruit/yogurt/cottage cheese around midnight, a veggie medley or snack around 3/4 am and then light snack 5/6:30am (even though it's a 'new day' I still log into previous day because...well it works for me lol). I go home, get settled in, and wind down I'm asleep around 9/10 am, wake up around 2 or 3pm and start logging my new day. Rise & repeat.
  • DevanEve
    DevanEve Posts: 130
    Options
    I work from 7pm to 4am and this is how I eat my meals:

5:30 PM to 6:00 PM - Breakfast
    8:00 PM - Snack
    10:00 PM - Snack
    Midnight - Lunch
    2:00 AM - Snack
    4:00 AM - Dinner
  • Trinketona
    Options
    I work 10pm to 530am. When I get home I sleep and wake up around 11 or 12 have breakfast, wait about 30 minutes then workout. Go back to sleep is possible then have lunch around 5 or 6. Then make my dinner to eat at work around midnight then just snack on fruit. Sometimes I dont workout until 830 it gives me energy to stay awake all night. Since I do check cashing and not to many customers come in around my shift.
  • mfisher16508
    mfisher16508 Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    HI I work nights 7pm to 7 am and my new day starts at 00:00 (midnight) Also I am preparing for surgery in march, hence my low calories.

breakfast is at work between 12-2am, usually some chicken broth, a protein shake or a light meal.

I dont normally eat lunch after that (big downfall, I know) but I dont have the time at work, and when I get home I am tired and want to sleep, BUT if I do eat lunch my lunch is usually a yogurt, a protein shake again, or maybe a hardboiled egg and yogurt, something light.....then I sleep normally until 4 pm if I work again that night, if not I get up around 2-3. I will eat my dinner at work normally if I have not eaten it at home with the fam, all depends on if I am hungry, If I am not hungry I dont eat until I am.

normally dinner at work is around 11 at change of shifts when I have some downtime, or depending on if I am hungry its earlier in the shift.

all these recommendations are just that, we all had to find our way, and this routine for me took along time to find, I had alot of issues with eating on night shift for quite awhile, it makes yuu want to snack snack and snack some more..

Just find your way, take a healthy snack or lunch, keep busy and good luck, oh and stay awake, haha!!!
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    I work 2230 to 0700. I usually wake up around 2100-2130 and have breakfast, we have break between 0030 and 0130, then lunch sometime between 0230-0400 (to clarify break is only 15 min, lunch is 30 min... I'm not nearly lucky enough to get an 1 break and hour and a half lunch... sometimes we only get a 15 min lunch). Then I have a light snack on the way to the gym so I can get through my workout. I get home from the gym aroun 0900-0930. I have a protein shake, shower, watch tv, etc and maybe have a dinner if my stomach is feeling up to it after my work out. Then I go to bed between noon and 2pm
  • lacroyx
    lacroyx Posts: 5,754 Member
    Options
    I have been working Graveyard for almost 3 years now and all of my weight loss has come while working the third shift. this is what I do and it works for me.
    @ work 11pm-7am
    I eat through out the night. no set time or lunch break.

7am-2pm
    go home, do errands, workout. after all that I then eat my 2nd meal. in bed by no later than 3pm. wake up at 10:30pm and do it all over again

days off I switch to a normal sechdule. sleep at night awake during the day.
    during my work week in the past I tried broken up sleep. i.e. sleep 2-3 hrs. wake up for a few hours then back to sleep for 2-3 hrs. didn't work for me. so unfortunately for me dinner with family and friends doesn't work for me unless it's a early one or on my day off :frown:
  • tspiker1
    tspiker1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Wake up: 2:30 pm
    Workout: 3-4 pm protein shake blended with oatmeal
    Breakfast: 6 pm
    Snack: 9-9:30 pm
    Lunch: Midnight
    Snack: 2:30-3 am
    Dinner: 5 am

I work 7 pm to 7 am. This schedule keeps me full and puts me right were I need to be for calories. Sometimes I struggle to get them all in.

My question is: If you happen to miss a snack or meal do you try to make up the calories throughout the rest of the day or just forget about it?
  • Hurricane_C
    Hurricane_C Posts: 806 Member
    Options
    If I'm still hungry I'll make up the calories... otherwise I just forget about it.
  • phlower
    phlower Posts: 103
    Options
    I also just started working 2200-0600, and it's definitely been a tough adjustment! Here's the rhythm i am getting into:

2030- Wake up, eat a bowl of oatmeal and some yogurt, make my lunch
    2200- start work
    0000-Break- snack of mini babybel and a piece of fruit
    0200-Lunch- Quinoa with veggies and grilled chicken that i batch-cook every week
    0400- Break- snack of banana and almonds
    0600- off duty
    0630- 0830- relax at home
    0900 or 1000- go to my scheduled fitness class that day
    1130- home, protein shake, shower, relax some more
    1300- hopefully I am asleep or getting ready to be :)
  • theonenonlykris
    Options
    I used to work nights and some of the habits that weren't mentioned is the sleep part not just the eating. Make sure you sleep and stick to your schedule. Its very difficult come weekends or celebrations to say NO because its normally when you should be sleeping. It complicates things if you don't sleep or sleep irratically. Be strict with getting sleep just like you would working days.
  • T1gerLily
    Options
    I usually work 6:30p-7a. I eat dinner right before my shift starts so that I am not too hungry by the time midnight rolls around. Once I take my break, I log my meal as breakfast since it is after midnight and the start of a new day. I usually have a salad or soup and have fruit snacks, cheese, yogurt, etc as snacks throughout the night. Once I get home, I maybe have a toast or boiled egg, something light but not heavy before I go to bed. I sleep throughout the day and wake up an hour and a half before work. Working twelve hours takes a toll on my body, still adjusting to it.
  • paulcer
    paulcer Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    I've worked on boats most of my life with no set schedule. It can make food and sleep tough. I had to completely block the light in my room and keep my calories from midnight to midnight. Consider wearing really dark sunglasses on the way home in the morning so you don't wake up so much with the sunlight. Avoid stimulation from your family, just as you would at bedtime in the evening. I'm not sure what you're doing, but odds are you will feel an increased need for sweet snacks when you start getting tired. Be sure to have low cal/healthy options. Resist the donuts that people tend to provide on the late shifts. Just don't do it. This is completely new for your body, so the habits you set early on will be what your body and mind will expect in the long run. Good luck, It can be fun working nights, It's a different world while most of the population is asleep.

Paula
  • __Ang__
    __Ang__ Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I also work grave shift 8p to 8am

I find it easier to reverse the times in your head 8p is the new 8am :)
    when you wake up its your morning

I eat breakfast @630p (@200-300 calories)
    snack (usually balance bar or yogurt and apple)
    lunch about midnight (@200-300 calories)
    workout
    dinner @4am (@200-300 calories)
    snack about 7am (usually yogurt and apple)

I don't count it as a new day until i wake up again or it throws off my meal tracking