Tea and coffee

Options
I drink 2-3 cups of decaf green tea and 2 cups of decaf black coffee a day. Does this count in towards my water intake?

Replies

• nrcarter81
    Options
    Absolutely.

Coffee and tea can be counted as water intake.
  • lookslikeyoda
    lookslikeyoda Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I always count mine, thnks for posting this cos I've always wondered myself but never thought to ask.
  • chrisja2
    Options
    Dehydrating caffeine myth. Similarly, recent experiments have “cast serious doubt on the often asserted diuretic role of caffeinated drinks,” . Caffeine had no significant effects on any of the variables that measure dehydration in one such study conducted at the Center for Human Nutrition in Omaha, for example, and the investigators concluded that “advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated.” The diuretic effect of caffeine in drinks and moderate alcohol is trivial compared to the amount of water they contain.

Taken from "Yahoo answers" so must be true lol.
  • welloiledmachine
    welloiledmachine Posts: 1,147 Member
    Options
    Your choice of drinks are great. You mainly want to be concerned with what is in your drinks and whether or not your pee is clear to a faint yellow. If your pee is a bright yellow, you are dehydrated. Sorry for the visual.
  • court182
    court182 Posts: 307
    Options
    Thanks for posting...I've always wondered myself!
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I always add tea as water intake, but I don't add coffee!
  • chaitrex
    chaitrex Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I guess you can count them, but I never do except for herbal tea. Because tea and even decaf coffee do have a low level of caffeine, I try to drink a glass of water afterward.
  • Embell0830
    Options
    Dehydrating caffeine myth. Similarly, recent experiments have “cast serious doubt on the often asserted diuretic role of caffeinated drinks,” . Caffeine had no significant effects on any of the variables that measure dehydration in one such study conducted at the Center for Human Nutrition in Omaha, for example, and the investigators concluded that “advising people to disregard caffeinated beverages as part of the daily fluid intake is not substantiated.” The diuretic effect of caffeine in drinks and moderate alcohol is trivial compared to the amount of water they contain.

Taken from "Yahoo answers" so must be true lol.

Not necessarily true many studies support caffienated beverages like coffee and tea to be a diuretic. This morning on Fox News says that a study in China shows that coffee is good for you in preventing type 2 diabetes, but it is recommended since coffee is a diuretic that water should be consumed between cups of coffee. While the study has only tested by extracting specific helpful components found in coffee and used to target specific cells, the group will be moving to test/observe humans to see if it truly has the same effect. The study noted that by adding too much sugar and cream you would counter affect the good stuff in coffee, but to me this is a "duh" type of statement.

Also note you can always find information on the web to support any ideology.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Your choice of drinks are great. You mainly want to be concerned with what is in your drinks and whether or not your pee is clear to a faint yellow. If your pee is a bright yellow, you are dehydrated. Sorry for the visual.

This is good advice - except I would say look out DARK yellow pee as a sign of dehydration. If you are taking a multivitamin or other supplement, that can turn your pee very bright and doesn't necessarily mean dehydration.