Apples

Options
Should I avoid eating fruit, as the sugar levels are so high, should I snack on veg instead? carrot, celery etc?

Replies

• CUPCAKE8968
    CUPCAKE8968 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Carrots and Celery are better but there is nothing wrong with apples and oranges as long as you count everything in your daily calorie count it should be fine.
  • qtrichardson
    qtrichardson Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Apples and fruits with small seeds like raspberries, blackberries, etc are usually a good choice when it comes to fruits. Some fruits do have higher sugar content i.e. bananas.
  • Wakx
    Wakx Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Sugar levels in fruit are the last thing to worry about. Eat more, but also eat better overall, and exercise a lot more.
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    i eat fruit all the time .. at least once a day ,sometimes 2 or 3, depending on what i planned for the day..never canned , always fresh or frozen..fruit is not bad for you . just eat it in moderation..apples and various berries are a huge part of my daily diet
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    My plan limits me to 2-3 daily servings of fruit (but unlimited veggies). I love fruit but now I just pay attention to serving size (like I'll eat 12-15 grapes, not the entire bunch!):laugh:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Should I avoid eating fruit, as the sugar levels are so high, should I snack on veg instead? carrot, celery etc?

Fruit is good.

I took my sugar thing off my diary, it goes sky-high if any fruit is added on there.

Don't avoid eating fruit, it supplies lots of vitamins.
  • JennLifts
    JennLifts Posts: 1,913 Member
    Options
    I eat 3 bananas a lot of days, I think it'll be O.K. However, just for knowledge sake, fructose is more of an energy now kind of sugar instead of eating another kind of carb, like oatmeal that's more of an even energy.
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options
    I was just going to post this, I added an apple and it's over half of my daily sugar limit! People say different things depending on what works for them so the advice I have been given is: watch carb intake, watch sodium intake and watch sugar intake and NEVER go over them, but fruit is ok, it's confusing lol :sad: :bigsmile:
  • Lorleee
    Lorleee Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    I just think if you start worrying about naturally occuring sugars, you'll drive yourself nuts and possibly give up altogether. When I think of avoiding or cutting out sugar, I'm thinking the sugars in processed foods, junk foods and white rice/pasta/bread. If I have a cup of blueberries or snack on an apple, I feel like I'm doing good things for my body. I have no clue how much sugar is in an apple and don't care to know. :smile:
  • maryjay51
    maryjay51 Posts: 742
    Options
    I was just going to post this, I added an apple and it's over half of my daily sugar limit! People say different things depending on what works for them so the advice I have been given is: watch carb intake, watch sodium intake and watch sugar intake and NEVER go over them, but fruit is ok, it's confusing lol :sad: :bigsmile:

you have to figure out what works for you . i eat apples and berries because of the vitamins and fiber , antioxidants in the berries ect .. i lost 80lbs in the last two years so i dont think the fruit hurt me any
  • kcgslp
    kcgslp Posts: 212
    Options
    Noooooo! Fruit is natural sugar and the sugar, especially in an apple, is combined with fiber so its lower in glycemic index than processed sugar! It stays with you longer!

We all need a treat. I couldn't live without fruit.
  • Rilke
    Rilke Posts: 1,201 Member
    Options
  • Faye_Anderson
    Faye_Anderson Posts: 1,495 Member
    Options

you have to figure out what works for you . i eat apples and berries because of the vitamins and fiber , antioxidants in the berries ect .. i lost 80lbs in the last two years so i dont think the fruit hurt me any

I was morbidly obese (think I'm just obese now?) and hadn't had any fruit for ages as part of my diet, I am just introducing it into my diet now and am still losing steadily, perhaps even a little more so, so I think it's working for me, there is a lot of advice here, it really is about finding what works for me, day 77, I think I'm just about getting the hang of it lol :smile:

P.S Nice weight loss, well done :flowerforyou:
  • Ianultrarunner
    Ianultrarunner Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I find Apple and Oranges make me more hungry after. I think a Banana is more satisfying but that's just me.
  • timborn12
    timborn12 Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    You got some great and right on responses here!!! I agree with eating fruit as long as you stay in your calorie goal. Eating right, using moderation is the key. I avoid sodium, it seems to be the thing that slows my metabolism and creates havoc with blood pressure, etc. I love the comment about bananas...very true they have a higher sugar content than most fruits. I eat lots of apples (at least 2 a day) and I eat tons of oranges and cuties!!!
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    I just think if you start worrying about naturally occuring sugars, you'll drive yourself nuts and possibly give up altogether. When I think of avoiding or cutting out sugar, I'm thinking the sugars in processed foods, junk foods and white rice/pasta/bread. If I have a cup of blueberries or snack on an apple, I feel like I'm doing good things for my body. I have no clue how much sugar is in an apple and don't care to know. :smile:

Pretty much this.