Healthy ways to boost calorie intake

Options
I can never meet my daily calorie goal. I've never been one for big portions. I have loads of weight to lose but that's as a result of a lifetime of unhealthy choices rather than excessive eating. Now that I've switched to a healtier lifestyle my calorie intake has drastically decreased. The problem is that about 90% of the time I don't feel hungry on my new diet. Is there anything I can add to my diet that is healthy but will reduce my calorie deficit?

Replies

• whiplashy
    whiplashy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • MsAziz
    MsAziz Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • whiplashy
    whiplashy Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Seriously? There's not one healthy way of doing it? Alright then, I'm having a pizza! Let's see you try and accuse me of starving myself today MFP!
  • rensker
    rensker Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    Healthy fats are an easy way to quickly boost calories. Peanut butter, avocado, nuts, olive oil, whole eggs, etc. Fat gets a bad rep but actually it's really good for you (and an important part of any diet) as long as you stay away from the trans fats and moderate the saturated fat.
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    HI! Please be patient with responses here. I know for me you posted at 11 pm last night and again at 6 am. I was sleeping:wink::laugh:

I found that when I first changed the way I ate, I wasn't hungry. My doctor was clear I had to eat 5 small meals, or 3 good ones.........with no lower than 1400 in a day. I had about 50 pounds to lose, and wasn't in a hurry.

But when the end of the day would come, I would log my dinner and be at 1000 calories. Stumped me because, well..........I was eating like 3000 prior to changing my eating habits:ohwell:

Peanut butter.(I buy Smuckers Organic with no sugar and very little added salt. It is delish)
    Almonds (I buy them whole, natural so there is no salt. I bloat up like a Macy's Tday balloon!!)
    Whole milk. (some will argue it has sugar, but it is how I added calories to a good meal when I was not hungry)
    Instead of low fat cheese or such, I used whole fat. Then when I was hungry again, I just reduced the portion.

Those are some that I used when my body was re-regulating itself.:flowerforyou:
  • chrisdavey
    chrisdavey Posts: 9,834 Member
    Options
    eat whatever you want that fits into your macro/cal goals.
  • xStellar
    xStellar Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    Eat as you normally would throughout the day
    If at the end of the day you are below your calorie goals have a spoon of natural peanut butter or a protein shake before bed.

Make small changes to your meals to make them higher in healthy fats. Adding guacamole/avocado to your vegetables, use oil and vinegar as salad dressing, have a handful of nuts here and there.

It is hard to avoid the late night "I have 500 calories left to eat why dont I just go to burger king?" but your body will thank you if you give it the calories in a healthy way
  • em9371
    em9371 Posts: 1,047 Member
    Options
    another vote for nuts / peanut butter / whole milk / avocado / olive oil
    a teaspoon of olive oil in your cooking, 25g of nuts and 200ml milk will add 400-500 cals without eating much more :)