Quinoa and Black Beans recipe - YUMMY !!!!

Options
daniellesb1
daniellesb1 Posts: 178 Member
I had been contemplating making Quinoa for some time, and finally got around to it today - I must say I am SOLD on how easy and simple it is to make, and FAST ! I had already eaten it before and really like it, but had never cooked it.

I found this recipe, and it is absolutely YUMMY !! Good thing about it, is you can either have it exactly as the recipe as a side dish, or add to it and make yourself a main dish. I am SO glad I have plenty of left over for lunch this coming week....

Since I had a late lunch/early dinner combo today - I had it as a side dish, and added a mix of sauteed Chicken (from a can since was the only thing I had handy), Zucchini, white fresh mushrooms and a little bit of drained diced tomatoes (Basil, Garlic and Oregano flavor). I also only just used 1 can of beans since wanted more of the Quinoa, but I guess that is a personal taste..... I subbed Olive Oil for the Vegetable Oil and Chicken Broth (since it was the only low sodium broth I found) instead of the Veggie Broth, as well..... I must confess just a portion, and I am completely FULL !

Here's the recipe - and the nutritional value I copied from the recipe, I didnt actually enter the ingredients to check myself....

ENJOY ! :drinker:

Quinoa and Black Beans
Ingredients

Total Servings : 10

1 teaspoon vegetable oil
1 onion, chopped
3 cloves garlic, peeled and chopped
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1 1/2 cups vegetable broth
1 teaspoon ground cumin
1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
salt and pepper to taste
1 cup frozen corn kernels
2 (15 ounce) cans black beans, rinsed and drained
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro

Directions
Heat the oil in a medium saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic, and saute until lightly browned.
Mix quinoa into the saucepan and cover with vegetable broth. Season with cumin, cayenne pepper, salt, and pepper. Bring the mixture to a boil. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes,
Stir frozen corn into the saucepan, and continue to simmer about 5 minutes until heated through. Mix in the black beans and cilantro.

Amount Per Serving Calories: 76 | Total Fat: 1.5g | Cholesterol: 0mg

Replies

• perpetuallyfit
    perpetuallyfit Posts: 153 Member
    Options
    bump! sounds yum!
  • pmaxson
    pmaxson Posts: 137
    Options
    This looks great - how many servings is it?
    Thanks!
  • daniellesb1
    Options
    This looks great - how many servings is it?
    Thanks!

It was delish ! I wish I had thought of taking a picture, because my plate LOOKED really good, too ! LOL

Sorry - it's 10 servings, I just edited the post.. Thanks for the call out ! :wink:
  • ford8709
    ford8709 Posts: 140
    Options
    Bump
  • kimhurt
    kimhurt Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    bump
  • annalistic
    annalistic Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Looks yummy!

bump
  • his_kid1
    his_kid1 Posts: 177 Member
    Options
    bump
  • MichelleRenee13
    MichelleRenee13 Posts: 363 Member
    Options
    I actually ate this tonight and figured out the calories via "My Recipes".

Here is the breakdown I got on nutritional values per cup:

254 calories

45 carbs

3 fat

13 protein

8 fiber

I was looking at the recipe and saying to myself there is NO way that something that contains 2-15oz cans of beans can be only 76 calories per serving.

It is DELICIOUS!
  • irisheyez718
    irisheyez718 Posts: 677 Member
    Options
    Going to give this a try, I bought some quinoa awhile back but haven't tried it yet! Thanks!
  • love22step
    love22step Posts: 1,103 Member
    Options
    Thanks. That sounds good. I've wanted to try quinoa, so I'll give this a try.
  • MissB0949
    MissB0949 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Can't wait to try this, thanks
  • jan5555
    jan5555 Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    can't wait to try!
  • 1a1a
    1a1a Posts: 762 Member
    Options
    bump
  • themedalist
    themedalist Posts: 3,212 Member
    Options
    Thanks! And bump.
  • kfox15
    kfox15 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    to OP did you get this from eatingwell.com? If so I just made the same dish and it was fantastic! I'm sooo hooked on quinoa!
  • LilBee82
    LilBee82 Posts: 189 Member
    Options
    You read my mind!

I made some black beans tonight and have some quinoa in my pantry and was wondering if I would find a recipe to mix the 2 together. Perfect!
  • daniellesb1
    Options
    to OP did you get this from eatingwell.com? If so I just made the same dish and it was fantastic! I'm sooo hooked on quinoa!

I got it from allrecipes.com.

And after seeing how fast and easy it was to cook, I am officially hooked too ! I just only wish Quinoa was cheaper..... But I had seen Quinoa a while back in Costco for $10 for a BIG bag, but since I was "scared" of the whole cooking part of it, I didnt get it. Now I just paid $10 for a 12oz bag. Which is CRAZY ! Gotta start looking around for cheaper, since I REALLY want to start making this in place of rice and pasta.....
  • daniellesb1
    Options
    You read my mind!

I made some black beans tonight and have some quinoa in my pantry and was wondering if I would find a recipe to mix the 2 together. Perfect!

I have been known to read minds before..... :laugh:

I hope you enjoyed it !
  • daniellesb1
    Options
    I actually ate this tonight and figured out the calories via "My Recipes".

Here is the breakdown I got on nutritional values per cup:

254 calories

45 carbs

3 fat

13 protein

8 fiber

I was looking at the recipe and saying to myself there is NO way that something that contains 2-15oz cans of beans can be only 76 calories per serving.

It is DELICIOUS!

THANKS for this !!! I was lazy last night to enter everything... LOL Figured I would be covered since unfortunately this was pretty much all I ate yesterday..... I adjusted my Diary with the right value ! Thanks again !!
  • sinluas
    sinluas Posts: 39 Member
    Options
    sounds delicious, i've been wanting to try quinoa but didnt know what to do with it. :smile: