I don't understand...

Options
Really really really don't understant myself... I wake up and am ready for the day ahead. Eat a healthy filling breakfast and plan my food and exercise for the whole day. But then my friend offers me a beautiful cake with butter cream mmmm and I eat it, I really enjoy eating it (was delicious) and straight away after I regret it. Really how can I stop this... ?

I have 23lbs to lose and then I would reach my GW of 120lbs

Replies

• Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    Really really really don't understant myself... I wake up and am ready for the day ahead. Eat a healthy filling breakfast and plan my food and exercise for the whole day. But then my friend offers me a beautiful cake with butter cream mmmm and I eat it, I really enjoy eating it (was delicious) and straight away after I regret it. Really how can I stop this... ?

I have 23lbs to lose and then I would reach my GW of 120lbs

Tell your friend not to bring the cakes over anymore, you don't need it and it is ruining your weightloss attempt.

Why is she doing that, is she not aware you are trying to lose weight?
  • daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Well I live with other students and they made cake so I can't tell them not to make cake. They are being nice offering of course but I need to be stronger to say no, how do I work on this?
  • jarrettd
    jarrettd Posts: 872 Member
    Options
    Really analyze how you feel after you eat something that isn't in line with your goals. Guilt? Regret? Just plain old "Damn, I shouldn't have done that."

Allow yourself to feel those emotions fully, then imagine yourself graciously turning down your friends' offer (and she, of course, is understanding and supportive of your choice) and think of how you would feel. Proud? Confident?

Run that scenario several times, always ending with your success at reaching your weight loss goals because you were able to turn down that treat.

That being said...it is perfectly ok to enjoy a treat now and then, if you want to and are willing to make room for it in your daily caloric expenditure. If you have to give up dinner to have that treat, you may want to pass!

Good luck!
  • daniivdean
    daniivdean Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Thank you, I really need to get back to how I was at the beginning of last week. i felt great really determined. I need to get back to that.
  • fiberartist219
    fiberartist219 Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    You just have to ask yourself if it is worth it to give up other foods or workout more, or shuffle around your food plans. If it's not worth it, just say no thank you. If it is worth it, just eat it and don't feel bad.

I eat my fare share of junk food, and I'm still losing weight. I don't regret it at all. If I love a certain food, I'm going to have a couple bites. I'm not going to eat a whole cake, and sometimes not even a whole piece of cake, but if I want cake, I'm going to have cake! Especially if it is fresh and tasty!

Just get a nice workout in if that makes you feel better.
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options
    Think about what's more important; your ultimate goals or immediate gratification that quickly turns negative. Try to keep your goals in mind and constantly remind yourself why you're doing what you're doing. You have all of the power and control; use it!
  • geekymom57
    geekymom57 Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    At the risk of using a somewhat outrageous analogy, "cheating" by having a piece of cake while trying to lose weight isn't in the same category of cheating as havinng an affair while in a monogamous relationship! Although you are changing your eating habits, you haven't necessarily decided to have an exclusive relationship only with "healthy" foods for the rest of your life.

Remember that any food in excess can contribute to weight gain, so if a small piece of cake will help you stay on track, then go ahead and have it. I am not a big cake fan but there is a particular cake from a favorite bakery that makes the best butter cream frosting I have ever had. We get that cake for two family birthdays (the other two family members prefer a different bakery) and I let myself indulge in it on those special occasions. I have half of a small piece (in case I want seconds) and often eat only the frosting from that portion--no cake.

So--either say when it's offered, say yes and eat a small piece, but don't feel guilty either way. You won't offend your roomate by saying "no thanks" and you haven't betrayed yourself if you say "Yes--thanks!"
  • StrongGwen
    StrongGwen Posts: 378 Member
    Options
    whip out your phone & post the treat on MFP before you eat it. You then have hard numbers to see if you want to make that choice. And look at it like an addiction--only YOU can say no. It is only YOUR hand that responds to your brain saying yes, but you can also say NO.

Here's the hard truth, and I had to be over 50 years old before I figured it out: You really CANNOT have everything you want! You can't eat the cake and everthing else that tastes good whenever you want, not exercise, and also have the lean and fit body you want. You can whine and cry about it not being fair for YEARS if you want, but the truth will never change. Every day counts.

Remember this quote "A year from now, what will I wish I had done TODAY?"