Recommendations for a treadmill...not much $$

Options
I really need to get a treadmill...my husband has Alzheimer's so I can only go to the gym some mornings. I want a treadmill so while he is watching TV in the evening I can still get in some exercise. I have googled them and several places talk about some of them being rip offs and no good unless you spend over $1000...but to be honest I am lost. Any suggestions from someone that has used a good lower price one? I don't have much to spend but also don't want to waste what little I have. I have watched some on Craigs list...but again how do I know if they are any good?

Replies

• loverunning11
    loverunning11 Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    I bought my treadmill at D i c k's Sporting Goods last February and I love it! It was on sale, so before tax it was around $999. I think I have seen it cheaper now. I got the Sole F63 the 2011 edition. I haven't had any problems with it either! One of the best things I have ever purchased! Hope this helps!

I also ran on my mom's treadmill while I was home visiting and hers was very nice as well, and about half the price of mine. I think hers was a Gold's Gym and she got it at Walmart!
  • mcsolis
    mcsolis Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    try craigslist.com people are always selling some used ones on there or walmart
  • mrlazy1967
    mrlazy1967 Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    smoothfitness.com are good
  • goingbicyclecrazy
    Options
    Do they have any Play it Again Sports where you live? The ones where I live always have pretty good used ones. They normally offer a 30-90 day warranty on them.
    I hope you can get what you are looking for.
  • ladybug91254
    ladybug91254 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I had been checking Craig's List but with no luck...however I just checked again and found a NordicTrack A2550 which sounded pretty good. They are asking $500. So I emailed to see if still available. If no I will check the ones you guys recommended...I had been staying away from Walmart in particular because I was afraid they would be cheap made. Thanks for all the suggestions!
  • daphnegetnfit
    Options
    Where I live they have a Sears Outlet - they sell stuff that still works but may have been damaged in transit. We just got a new fridge from there a couple months ago, it was regularly $1,200 and we got it for 600 with just minor dings. They did have exercise equipment too. Do they have anything like that where you live?
  • Justjoshin
    Justjoshin Posts: 999 Member
    Options
    Estate sales very regularly have treadmills.

www.estatesales.net is a great way to find estate sales in your area.
  • brandimacleod
    brandimacleod Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    Craigslist. Buy used. Just make sure it works well. Belt tightening is actually easy so dont let that stop you.
  • sjtreely
    sjtreely Posts: 1,014 Member
    Options
    This time of year usually calls for 0% interest for 12 months. Is that an option on a new treadmill?

Consumer reports will help you sift through some good/better/best treadmills. You can also find reviews on line.

I like mine to have a wide band as well as a holder for water. I'm kind of a bare bones type of treadmill gal. Although mine does have an iPod hook up and I really do like that feature.

I agree with Play It Again Sports and Craigslist. Try your newspaper, too. I went the 0% interest at Sears a few years back. No regrets. The fact that they set it was was wonderful. Of course I paid the set up, but I wanted mine upstairs so the price was well worth it for me. I had them put it in my Jeep at the store and that's where it stayed until the two gentlemen came to my house to lug it upstairs and get it going.
  • 2012newbie
    2012newbie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Thanks for bringing this up, I've been looking as well, and see a lot of really expensive ones over 1000. I too don't want to break the bank on a treadmill, but I need something. I use to have one I got at sears but I used it as a coatrack after I broke my back, ended up selling it and now I wish I hadn't.
  • L4SYTHE
    L4SYTHE Posts: 10
    Options
    I got mine on craigslist. It was over $1500 new. I got it for $250.
  • kodibear123
    kodibear123 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    I have a NordicTrac that we bought at Sears over 11 years ago! It is awesome and still works very well. I have used it the whole 11 years, it's not a clothes rack! :)