I cant work this out? Any friendly MFP's that can advise?

Options
I have started the 30 DS dvd. I first starting logging it as circuit training on MFP which gave me a calorie burn of 203. I then got a HRM watch, but this gave me a burn of 103. Today I've just completed day 6 of level 1 and it gave me a burn of 42????

Confused!!

Is this normal for your calorie burn to reduce as you get fitter? Or is it just a simple problem like my watch isnt working correctly!!?? I'm not sure what to log for my exercise as it's varying so much. Can anyone advise? Has anyone else had similar issues?

5ft 2
SW 134
CW133

Thank you x

Replies

• AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    I would guess your HRM isn't working correctly - there's no way you could burn only 42 with 20 minutes of any level of 30DS. What type of HRM do you have? Does it have a chest strap or watch only?
  • kag1526
    kag1526 Posts: 210 Member
    Options
    I agree that your watch doesn't seem to be working right, although you will burn less as you get more fit (you'll be moving less weight for one thing) it doesn't cut quite that drastically and so fast.
  • debbieplus3
    Options
    It's just the watch. I'm guessing a chest strap would be more accurate?
  • AmyRhubarb
    AmyRhubarb Posts: 6,890 Member
    Options
    Yes, chest strap versions are definitely more accurate as they track your heart rate the entire time rather than just when you touch your fingers to the watch. I started with the watch only version and then upgraded to a New Balance N4 with a chest strap - much better! No more having to slow down to get the reading, or worse, stop the workout because the darn thing didn't get my heart rate the first time. I'd go with MFPs estimate for this one, because you surely had to burn more than 42 calories. :tongue:
  • LaurenAOK
    LaurenAOK Posts: 2,475 Member
    Options
    Yeah, the MFP estimate for circuit training is apparently pretty accurate for 30DS. Just don't log the full time you did the shred, though; like if the work out was 26 minutes, I'd only log 20. Then for level 2 I'd log 22 or 23 minutes since it's a bit harder, and so on.
  • debbieplus3
    Options
    I think you guys are probably right - thank you for being so helpful. :happy:
    Oh well, guess I'll be off to the shops again tomorrow!
  • kit_katty
    kit_katty Posts: 994 Member
    Options
    I tried to use my Garmin's cross training function for 30DS and it said I burned 20 calories... right... so I go with MFP instead! I just log 20 min.
  • datguy2011
    datguy2011 Posts: 477 Member
    Options
    Do you have a strap with your HRM? if you dont have a strap... odds are the watch is wrong.
  • silhouettes
    silhouettes Posts: 517 Member
    Options
    Yes my calories do reduce from day 1 of the Shred to day 10, it seems the more you get fit and the more you get used to the workouts the easier it goes.. at least on your heart.

Just make sure your giving it your all, 100 percent! And don't worry abou the burn so much as it's more for getting fit and muscled up than burning for that video.

With that said...

I don't know how you can burn only 42 on that video, I burn 150 min. Have you checked to make sure your HRM was set up right.. to the right levels, right weigh, ect? And make sure it's working properly with other exercises you use it with?