Quinoa?

Options
What is the texture of quinoa like? Is it like corn meal?

I have this recipe that I want to make healthier. It is a casserole and generally I use corn muffin mix on top. I haven't been able to think of a good substitute for the corn muffin mix. I have never tried quinoa before. I was wondering about the texture and if you all think it might make a good substitution?

Replies

• Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Rice!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is like couscous, not corn meal. I do not think it would be a good topping as it is a grain.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    So it is more like rice than cornmeal??
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Any substitution suggestions for the cornmeal?
  • coreykantola
    Options
    It would not be a good sub.
    Quinoa contains more protein than any other grain; an average of 16.2 percent, compared with 7.5 percent for rice, 9.9 percent for millet, and 14 percent for wheat. Some varieties of quinoa are more than 20 percent protein.

Quinoa's protein is of an unusually high quality. It is a complete protein, with an essential amino acid balance close to the ideal ... similar to milk!

Quinoa's protein is high in lysine, methionine and cystine. This makes it an excellent food to combine with, and boost the protein value of, other grains (which are low in lysine), or soy (which is low in methionine and cystine).

Rich & Balanced Source of Nutrients
    Besides its unique protein, quinoa also provides starch, sugars, oil (high in essential linoleic acid), fiber, minerals, and vitamins.

Easy on the Stomach
    Quinoa is light, tasty, and easy to digest. It is not sticky or heavy like most other grains, and it has a delicious flavor all its own.

Quick and Simple to Prepare
    A whole-grain dish of quinoa takes just 15 minutes.

Versatile
    Quinoa can be substituted for almost any grain in almost any recipe. It looks and tastes great on its own, or in any dish from soup to salad.
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

What else is in the casserole? They generally are not healthy, so I doubt that the corn muffin mix is going to make that much of a difference.
  • DonnaRe2012
    DonnaRe2012 Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    It's more like rice then cornmeal.
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

What else is in the casserole? They generally are not healthy, so I doubt that the corn muffin mix is going to make that much of a difference.

Ground beef cooked with green peppers and onions, a layer of Pepper jack cheese, a layer of black beans, and the corn muffin mix goes on top.
  • TropicalKitty
    TropicalKitty Posts: 2,298 Member
    Options
    Ancient Harvest makes a quinoa flour and quinoa flakes. Those are manipulations of the original grain (well, fruit, for the nitpicky folks). The flakes remind me a bit of rolled oats in texture. The flour is, well, flour.

Quinoa grain is a teeny ball, like others have said, about the size of couscous. When cooked, it's soft, again, similar to couscous.

There might be a substitute recipe for a corn bread mix using the quinoa flour on Ancient Harvest's website or just hit up Google.

Anyway, you should try quinoa regardless of the recipe you are trying to spiff up. It's yummy!
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options
    Ancient Harvest makes a quinoa flour and quinoa flakes. Those are manipulations of the original grain (well, fruit, for the nitpicky folks). The flakes remind me a bit of rolled oats in texture. The flour is, well, flour.

Quinoa grain is a teeny ball, like others have said, about the size of couscous. When cooked, it's soft, again, similar to couscous.

There might be a substitute recipe for a corn bread mix using the quinoa flour on Ancient Harvest's website or just hit up Google.

Anyway, you should try quinoa regardless of the recipe you are trying to spiff up. It's yummy!

The quinoa flour definitely sounds interesting! Thanks!
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

Ground beef cooked with green peppers and onions, a layer of Pepper jack cheese, a layer of black beans, and the corn muffin mix goes on top.

LOL, I say nix the whole thing. The muffin mix is the least of your worries there.
  • gp79
    gp79 Posts: 1,799 Member
    Options
    Quinoa is one of a handful of grains (most of the others most people don't buy) that is a complete protein (amino acid profile). If you have never eaten quinoa, or familiar with it's flavor, you may not like it. If baking with it, its flavor does tend to easily overpower others. You'd hate to make an entire dish, to then realize the quinoa ruined it.

I suggest hitting a whole foods or trader joes in your area. Go to their deli and try one of their quinoa salads. They are primarily quinoa, they tend to make it correctly and it will give you an idea of what you can do with it.

I sometimes gind it down to make flour to then cut in with whole wheat flour in recipes.
  • FWALeader
    Options
    Quinoa is most like brown rice but the grains are slightly smaller and there is a tiny little thread coming out of each grain.
  • kellyjamespro
    kellyjamespro Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • UsedToBeHusky
    Options

LOL, I say nix the whole thing. The muffin mix is the least of your worries there.

All of those ingredients offer valuable nutrients. What is so unhealthy about the recipe?
  • Lesa_Sass
    Options

All of those ingredients offer valuable nutrients. What is so unhealthy about the recipe?

Sorry for the suggestion. I personally do not eat that way. Ground beef does not offer me anything valuable, besides digestive issues and higher cholesterol. But like I said, that is a personal choice.
  • Kirkajuice
    Kirkajuice Posts: 311 Member
    Options
    I replaced rice with quinoa, it tastes a little nutty to me, but there's very little difference. I just switched it for the fibre content.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    What about whole wheat panko instead of the cornmeal?
  • rca22
    rca22 Posts: 1
    Options
    Morning, Quinoa's texture is between grits and oatmeal, another description is between corm meat and oatmeal.
  • kalexander2005
    kalexander2005 Posts: 223 Member
    Options
    To me, quinoa is sort of like a "crunchy" rice or tapioca, but it is not starchy. I've had it in a few dishes and enjoyed it. I recommend finding a Whole Foods or Wild Oats or similar place that serves it in their deli. They will likely have some kinds for you to try and also maybe a couple of good recipes. Unlike rice, I would not mix quinoa with dairy products, but I have not tried it like that.