Near Death Experience?

Options
JulieF11
JulieF11 Posts: 387 Member
Have you ever either come close to dying or died momentarily and been resuscitated? If so, did it change you? If so, in what way?

Replies

• runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I almost drowned as a toddler. Was too young for it to give me some amazing revelation, but I remember it crystal clear. Strangely, I don't recall being as panicked as I expect I would be now. I remember falling into the water, trying to swim but realising I didn't know how and just thinking something along the lines of "Oh well, I'm not getting out of here". I guess maybe with me being so young I didn't have a concept of death or what drowning would be like - I understood that if I didn't get out I was doing to die, but it wasn't a thought that scared me.
    Just as I was going to give up I looked up and saw a shadow at the side of the pool, and it bent over and a hand came into the water, so I grabbed it. A teenage girl saved my life - I think about it sometimes, but it doesn't seem all that real what with the lack of fear.
    I quickly started swimming lessons after that, but I was a slow learner!
  • JulieF11
    Options
    Here's the crazy thing about hearing that story.... I'm a swim lesson instructor. Even more odd, I teach preschoolers. Well, I'm so glad that girl saved you and that you are here today as a result. Thank you for sharing!
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    Yes, but I don't remember it. My mom invited a friend and her little girl over to our house right after mom and I came home from the hospital (I was a newborn). They wanted to pay my mom a visit, see the baby (me) and bring a gift. The woman's little girl went down into my room while the moms were chatting. The bratty little kid put a pillow over my head and tried to snuff me out! Luckily the mom's noticed the little girl was missing and ran for my room and saved my life. I don't think my mom ever invited those two back into our house again.
  • JulieF11
    Options
    @abhamilton

Whoa! That's a bit scary. I wonder what ever became of that little girl?!?
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I was caught in a house fire when i was 9 years old. Me, my mum and my brother who was 2months old at the time were all fast asleep one night, and my brothers dad (was very abusive towards all of us) came into the house about mid night and set fire to the livingroom, and the hallway going up towards the stairs to our bedrooms. me and mum both wake up as we were both choking to death as smoke was rising up the stairs. mum called fire brigade and ambulance. And all's i remember is a fire man carrying me from my bedroom window all the way down the ladders and into the ambulance.. my mum and brother came out of the front door as they had put out the fire and it was safe for them both to come down the stairs with the help of a few fire men.

If my mum didnt have her mobile phone on her, i dont think i would be here today

It was scarey stuff! Almost 11 years have passed now, and i still have nightmares about it, and i wake up almost every night when im fast sleep trying to catch my breathe and i get out of bed and go and check if mum and brother (who is 10 now) are both ok, and the house is safe.

We have moved away from the house that the fire happend in, that was back in England, we now live in Wales. and we are miles and miles away from my brothers dad!
  • ab_shutterbug
    ab_shutterbug Posts: 203 Member
    Options
    @ Sophia 19 - Wow, how scary. I could see how you would still have nightmares about that experience. Glad you and your mum are okay!
  • JulieF11
    Options
    I was caught in a house fire when i was 9 years old. ...

@ Sophia19... Wow, that's like a story you'd see on a movie screen... hard to believe someone could do that to another person... Glad you are okay! Was he ever caught? Is he in prison?

What a blessing you made it safely. There must be a reason you are here!
  • xSophia19
    xSophia19 Posts: 1,536 Member
    Options
    I was caught in a house fire when i was 9 years old. ...

@ Sophia19... Wow, that's like a story you'd see on a movie screen... hard to believe someone could do that to another person... Glad you are okay! Was he ever caught? Is he in prison?

What a blessing you made it safely. There must be a reason you are here!

:( we wasnt expecting anything like this! my mum and brothers dad had split up, and when he was chucked out the house because of his actions, he stole our spare house key, and we didnt know. he used to come in at all times of the day and used to threaten us all the time. and then thats when he did that to us :sad:

Nope he wasnt caught, he came in the house, set a light to the furniture and that and then ran out the house and ran away. (no idea where!) mum had got in touch with the police to tell them what happend, and we gave the police details of his appearance, and clothes he wore etc etc and they went on a search for him for a few months but he was no where to be seeen. And thats when we decided we had to get out of that town incase he came back and did something else or tried to do the same thing again! And no we are all living in Wales and are pretty happy down here.
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    When I was 14, I was running with a rough crowd. My boyfriend and I were at a party. He was drinking a lot, I was drinking a litle bit. Illegal drugs were also involved. It was New Years Eve 1999. We left the party, and I argued that he was too drunk to drive. He argued that I was too young to drive (even though I knew how).
    He drove, and we ended up at a stop light, next to a car full of college kids. Of course, male testosterone dictates that a street race must happen. So we started racing. Mind you, its about 15 degrees out, and icy/snowy. Well, my boyfriend lost control of the car, we were going about 90-95 mph, and we slammed head first into a brick building.
    I was wearing my seatbelt, he wasn't. I had a mild concussion, and both of my knee caps were shattered amongst other injuries. My boyfriend was thrown through the front windshield, and ended up wedged between the wall and the car.
    The last thing I remember was crawling away to find help, and telling my boyfriend I would be right back. I looked back once, and the whole car exploded.
    I don't remember any "life flash before my eyes" moment, or any religious experience, just an amazing clarity of mind, and time seemed to slow way down.
    After the EMTs arrived, I lost the clarity of mind, and woke up in a hospital about three weeks later.
  • Buddhasmiracle
    Buddhasmiracle Posts: 925 Member
    Options
    I was diagnosed with a rare cardiomyopathy, ARVD, in 2001. The symptoms include vtachs and sudden cardiac arrest. I have gone into cardiac arrest and flat lined for nearly four minutes before I was revived with an external difibbrilator (which left second degree burn marks on my chest and back). I lost part of my hearing, but it slowly returned over several months. I had a near death experience so yes, It was a life changing event, but quite gradual.
  • EMarvie
    EMarvie Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    When I was 14, I was running with a rough crowd. My boyfriend and I were at a party. He was drinking a lot, I was drinking a litle bit. Illegal drugs were also involved. It was New Years Eve 1999. We left the party, and I argued that he was too drunk to drive. He argued that I was too young to drive (even though I knew how).
    He drove, and we ended up at a stop light, next to a car full of college kids. Of course, male testosterone dictates that a street race must happen. So we started racing. Mind you, its about 15 degrees out, and icy/snowy. Well, my boyfriend lost control of the car, we were going about 90-95 mph, and we slammed head first into a brick building.
    I was wearing my seatbelt, he wasn't. I had a mild concussion, and both of my knee caps were shattered amongst other injuries. My boyfriend was thrown through the front windshield, and ended up wedged between the wall and the car.
    The last thing I remember was crawling away to find help, and telling my boyfriend I would be right back. I looked back once, and the whole car exploded.
    I don't remember any "life flash before my eyes" moment, or any religious experience, just an amazing clarity of mind, and time seemed to slow way down.
    After the EMTs arrived, I lost the clarity of mind, and woke up in a hospital about three weeks later.

Wow, im so glad you made it out! that is a scary story - one to pass on to teens for sure!
    thanks for sharing.
  • RILEYRED
    RILEYRED Posts: 647 Member
    Options
    I have had 3 due to complications from a bad heart, and I worry that my chances are running out, but, they did change my thinking about death and I guess even tho I don't want to die, I don't think it will as hard on the dying person as for the people left behind.Yes, there were people waiting for me, and I could see what was happening to me as I was on some other level, I guess above me. I had my heart stopped for 22 minutes while having open heart surgery, and that time, there was nothing but black, which I thought was interesting.
  • DS67ATX
    DS67ATX Posts: 289
    Options
    I've been in two tornados,one as a child (7 or 8) when a small twister almost lifted our trailer house, beleive it or not two large trees near our home saved our lives as the twister hit both trees and changed the path of the twister.The trailer moved off its foundation.The second was back in 2002 as I drove straight into a tornado at night,well it was 6pm but it the skies were as dark as night as I stopped my car about 1/4 of a mile in front of the path as it passed in front of me moving my car about a foot.Im thankful I survived and thank God everyday and appreciate life.
  • JulieF11
    Options
    ... I looked back once, and the whole car exploded. I don't remember any "life flash before my eyes" moment, or any religious experience, just an amazing clarity of mind, and time seemed to slow way down.

@redapplecandi

Oh wow. You have been through a lot. I know that feeling of time slowing down.... I think when we are in emergency situations, that seems to happen a lot. I'm so glad you wore your seat belt. I'm so sorry you had to witness that, and go through the psychological aftermath. I hope all is well now.
  • JulieF11
    Options
    ...I have gone into cardiac arrest and flat lined for nearly four minutes before I was revived with an external difibbrilator ... It was a life changing event, but quite gradual.

@ Buddhasmiracl

Glad you made it through!
  • im_blessed
    im_blessed Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    bump
  • JulieF11
    Options
    @DS67ATX

TWO tornadoes!! Good heavens, what is the chance of that?!? I wonder how many people, who aren't storm chasers, have experienced anything like that? You've got to be more than one in a million. Glad you were saved.
  • Redapplecandie
    Redapplecandie Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    ... I looked back once, and the whole car exploded. I don't remember any "life flash before my eyes" moment, or any religious experience, just an amazing clarity of mind, and time seemed to slow way down.

@redapplecandi

Oh wow. You have been through a lot. I know that feeling of time slowing down.... I think when we are in emergency situations, that seems to happen a lot. I'm so glad you wore your seat belt. I'm so sorry you had to witness that, and go through the psychological aftermath. I hope all is well now.

Yeah, needless to say I was in a nicely padded room for several months, until we ultimately relocated to a different state. Not a good time in my life, but I think I'm stronger for it. I stopped doing drugs, and drinking, and that is a win win all around.