Using wrist weights - worth it?

Options
I do Turbo Jam which is a dancy/kickboxing type cardio workout 3 times a week and Kettleworx 3 times a week. Turbo Jam is lots of punching and kicking and I was wondering about getting wrist weights for it. Does anyone use wrist weights? Would you recommend them? Not sure just how much of a difference they're meant to make.

Replies

• ursula0601k
    ursula0601k Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    Good question. I would like to know the answer. Also, what about ankle weights?
  • richeydoc
    richeydoc Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Probably not. You're not going to be used to the extra weight on your wrists and for kicking and punching the extra weight could cause you to injure yourself. There have been video studies of martial artists using wrist and ankle weights, if anything they get a poorer workout as they tend to punch or kick slower, being more aware of the possibility of injury.
  • fionat29
    fionat29 Posts: 717 Member
    Options
    I bought some years ago and things may be different now,but I found that they moved around too much to be comfortable. I just couldn't do them up tight enough..
  • angieleighbyrd
    angieleighbyrd Posts: 989 Member
    Options
    I was considering using ankle weights for when I walk and just doing stuff around the house. I probably won't go as far as taking them to the gym with me though.
  • cowgirlslikeus86
    cowgirlslikeus86 Posts: 597 Member
    Options
    Don't use them for kickboxing. They can cause serious injury, rather, use them while walking/running or doing leglifts/arm exercises. I have some and I really like them. You can take out the weight bars to adjust the weight up or down.
  • islandjumper
    islandjumper Posts: 369 Member
    Options
    Even for running/walking it's not a great idea. They can throw you off balance and cause injury.
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. If I'm used to doing punches with kettlebells that weigh 5kg, surely a lighter weight on my wrists wouldn't be a problem?
  • Rachiepie6
    Rachiepie6 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the replies. If I'm used to doing punches with kettlebells that weigh 5kg, surely a lighter weight on my wrists wouldn't be a problem?

used to doing punches with kettlebells that weigh 5kg, surely a lighter weight on my wrists wouldn't make a difference then.. so why use them
  • caroline_g
    caroline_g Posts: 201 Member
    Options

used to doing punches with kettlebells that weigh 5kg, surely a lighter weight on my wrists wouldn't make a difference then.. so why use them

Because that's only for one workout once a week, for about 10 reps either side. I do Turbo Jam three times a week and it's mostly punches and kicks.
  • Lozze
    Lozze Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    Honestly they do nothing. The ONLY reason I exercise my wrists (and I use the wrist grip pictured below) is because it helps me in my sport. Other than that they're not needed

img[
  • MariaMariaM
    MariaMariaM Posts: 1,322 Member
    Options
    You can use weighted gloves. Some use it for Turbofire which has kicking and punching.
    I use it for when I want to add something extra but you need to make sure you keep proper form. Arms will get tired faster.

The ones I have are only 1 pound each and got them from Amazon. Because they are gloves, they don't move around. They aso allow for push ups if the the exercise calls for them because the weight part is on the top portion of the hand. I don't think you need too much weight for them to work because of the number of reps done throughout the workout. I know I feel it and I have done various rounds of P90X so I can say I am pretty strong.

Here is the link to the ones I bought from Amazon.
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B005HG5P20/ref=oh_o06_s00_i00_details?ie=UTF8&redirect=true