Workout DVDs for building muscle?

Options
Sooo I am no longer focusing on weightloss, but more on building muscle and strength. I've been going to the gym on Sunday mornings, but gas prices are ridiculously high and I live really far. Are there any reasonable priced DVDs for building muscle and burning fat? I am SO ready to lose this "skinny fat"! Thank you :)

Replies

• amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    Bump?
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    You could create a split routine and workout while watching TV.
    But if you want to watch a DVD you should check out p90x.
  • amonkey794
    amonkey794 Posts: 651 Member
    Options
    A split routine?
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    I guess my question would be, do you have weights you use at home or are you planning on body weight exercises?

Either is fine. You don't necessarily need a DVD to follow, you can just make a couple of routines and follow them.

No matter what exercise you choose, you’re going to do it for a particular number of sets and reps. You can work to failure, you can work to just less than failure, you can do cheating sets: Near the end of a set, you can lighten the weight (put it down and finish with bodyweight, have a spotter help you finish) or pause for the length of a rep to steady yourself to finish.

I don't like following DVDs, so I am an old hand at making up routines and then learning what works or doesn't as I go out and do them. I tend to wander to a park or when I lived out of town an old farm next door.
  • lilsassymom
    lilsassymom Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    I am in month 3 of ChaLean Extreme and I love it. It's like P90X but for women. I am NOT saying women can't do P90X. I am saying that I believe it was made more for women in mind as P90X was made more for men in mind......I got a really good deal on ebay:smile: .
  • withervein
    withervein Posts: 224 Member
    Options
    A split routine?
    "Many weightlifters work on a split routine or cycle. For the reasons why they do this, see my page on rest and periodization. They may break the workouts up by:

bodyparts: e.g. one day upper body, one day lower body
    lift type: e.g. pushing versus pulling exercises
    intensity and loading: heavy, medium, and light
    skill focus: strength, speed, agility, etc.
    Essentially, splitting the workout up allows you to focus on different things, while optimizing recovery potential."

Source: http://www.stumptuous.com/basics-of-a-routine
  • tangal88
    tangal88 Posts: 689
    Options
    Some other Options:

DVD - Chalene Extreme or P90X (women can do ether) I have done both, personally prevfer P90X myself. Both are good.
    Books: New Rules For Lifting For Women
    Online Options: Stronglifts or Jamie Easons Live Fit Trainer

You can us body weight, But you will reach a point where that no longer challenges you, and gains will stop.

Free weights will give more flexibility, and allow you to keep progressing as your strength increases. I personally use dumbells at home, along with a pull up bar (you can use an in door variety)
  • Jo2926
    Jo2926 Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    I am in month 3 of ChaLean Extreme and I love it. It's like P90X but for women. I am NOT saying women can't do P90X. I am saying that I believe it was made more for women in mind as P90X was made more for men in mind......I got a really good deal on ebay:smile: .

This. ChaLean Extreme is brilliant, but if you buy it new then it doesn't really come in the reasonably priced bracket. I was lucky and got it from a friend, but I just had a quick look on ebay and there are a couple of copies on there.

Jodye
  • nailed479
    Options
    I would also say ChaLEAN Extreme or P90X!!!
  • niqua215
    niqua215 Posts: 283 Member
    Options
    Jackie Warner's Power Circuit Training DVD. You can find it on Amazon.
  • ltosoni
    ltosoni Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    Bodyrock.tv, free at home fitness that gets you great results!
  • Josee76
    Josee76 Posts: 533 Member
    Options
    P90X --- I am currently in my second round

I have pics on my profile of before and after of my 1st round, lost 30 lbs and 23.5 inches... It works!
  • BuffLoveWinning
    BuffLoveWinning Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Kettle goddess,
    Kettle bombshell,
    Wins or pilates
    Jillian micheals backside
    Experiment
  • Amy_B
    Amy_B Posts: 2,323 Member
    Options
    I liked how defined my shoulders and arms got using ChaLean Extreme.
  • wdwghettogirl
    wdwghettogirl Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    Bob Harper has some good DVDs out there. I got one at Walmart for like, $10. It's Bob Harper Inside Out Method Pure Burn Super Strength. My mom got one that focuses a little more on cardio, but it has a lot of weights involved as well. (There are several DVDs in this line.)
  • jamielynn1981
    jamielynn1981 Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    ChaLEAN Extreme is my fav! I have done probably 6-7 rounds of it mixed with different things. Have also done P90X and now am doing P90X2, but honestly have seen the best results from ChaLEAN Extreme. The key is lifting HEAVY weights though, you won't see the results with out doing that!! GOOD LUCK!!
  • cassblue21
    Options
    I have been doing the book Sculpting her body Perfect and also Jillian Michaels dvd 30 day shred and have seen results. With inches lost but not weight. I am still a bigger girl but I have muscle definition now and I am going to keep up with my book and cardio and hopefully will see the weight also start to fall off once I get a little more muscle built.
  • mommamuscles
    mommamuscles Posts: 584 Member
    Options
    Cathe friedrich has the toughest, best weights videos I've found. Much harder IMO than all the beach body/biggest loser variety.
    Www.cathe.com