Barefoot at the gym, treadmill

Options
In this day and age of someone else having to take responsibility for our stupidity (read insurance payouts / legal action, etc), is it generally ok to be barefoot at the gym ? I have to build my feet up after years of neglect and I would like to do barefoot walking (and ultimately running if I can) on the treadmill. I take the shoes off to do stretching and use their BOSU and no-one has said anything.

That said they are open in 5 minutes... off to gym now !

Replies

• Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    No, it is not OK--just for basic sanitary reasons.

It's hard to imagine that being acceptable at any gym -- I know it wouldn't be permitted at ours.
  • shellybean826
    Options
    exactly ..i wouldnt want to be using the treadmill behind someone that isnt wearing shoes ..perhaps you can buy a pair of shoes that have the toes looking thingys ..do you know what i mean ....i would ask your gym first before doing that
  • BuffLoveWinning
    BuffLoveWinning Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    The make toe sneakers so their more natural but they have warnings associated. They don't support your ankles like sneakers do. And if not properly stepping Canute cause worst damage
  • tig_ol_bitties
    tig_ol_bitties Posts: 561 Member
    Options
    That's really gross, and definitely not allowed at my gym.
  • shellimus
    shellimus Posts: 158 Member
    Options
    exactly ..i wouldnt want to be using the treadmill behind someone that isnt wearing shoes ..perhaps you can buy a pair of shoes that have the toes looking thingys ..do you know what i mean ....i would ask your gym first before doing that

I agree, but at the same time...I am wearing shoes, so I guess it wouldn't matter if I ran after someone who was barefoot...
  • spartangirl79
    spartangirl79 Posts: 277 Member
    Options
    Having worked at several gyms -- NO. Not only for liability purposes but for hygenic purposes as well. Even if you signed a waiver saying you wouldn't sue if you hurt yourself, any good lawyer can maneuver around a waiver in a court case. Plus, once you start utilizing equipment in a way that is not intended, it also makes a waiver less valid.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    Just get some Vibram FiveFingers shoes and you'll be good to go. They are great for strengthening foot muscles and mimic natural walking with the protection of a "shoe". They also help correct biomechanical problems, strengthen knee and lower leg muscles, and prevent injury due to postural and stride irregularities.
  • ItsJustK
    ItsJustK Posts: 159 Member
    Options

I agree, but at the same time...I am wearing shoes, so I guess it wouldn't matter if I ran after someone who was barefoot...

Exactly! There are lots of places you go barefoot where others do... public pools, beach, etc. Your feet sweat there too ;)
    Still.... people are going to give you crap. Maybe it's time to invest in a treadmill so you can run barefoot in the privacy of your own home.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    Also using a BOSU barefoot is gross, because people use those with their hands and arms, they are not just intended for standing on. Sorry, but it's true. I wouldn't want to be on a BOSU doing an elbow plank after someone stood on it barefoot. Gross gross gross.
  • cheeksv
    cheeksv Posts: 521 Member
    Options
    There are shoes for that now right? That mimic being bare foot. I would have to report someone who dared go to the gym with no shoes. You just never know what is going on there and it is generally inappropriate I mean...you are not at home. To me it is right up there with people who put their feet on the table at restaurants( I have seen it done). Also you might not have feet issues but, you never know what could be on that floor.
  • Cindy311
    Cindy311 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    lmao, I'm sorry but I can understand for legal reasons but not much else. If you're wearing shoes how in the world would it be a big deal to go after someone that is barefoot? I agree with the toe shoes though, my hubby has a pair of skeletoes and swears they've helped with knee pain. After the responses here I'm positive you would get the same in your gym!
  • singledj
    singledj Posts: 147 Member
    Options

^^ Exactly, I agree too!!
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    Well, unless you are ONLY walking barefoot on the treadmill (taking your shoes off once you get on it) then it's a sanitary issue. Once you start walking around the gym floor, ESPECIALLY in areas where people stretch and are sitting on the floor, then your foot germs will get on the floor and others who are seated on the floor can pick them up... ick... public pools are different because generally people are in and out of the chlorine, helping minimize germs and whatnot. I know from experience that gym floors are not necessarily sanitized on a regular basis... eew, just the thought of doing a pushup on the floor in someone else's athlete's foot sweat is nasty.
  • ellie0213
    ellie0213 Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    Just google barefoot running. There are several different kinds of shoes that allow the foot to move naturally. Good luck!
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    FiveFingers can get smelly quickly (from all the FOOT SWEAT that I would not want to be touching on a BOSU!), but they are so easy to wash -- just run through the machine and sit out to dry. They helped tremendously with my knee issues.
  • IronSmasher
    IronSmasher Posts: 3,908 Member
    Options
    Pu, they do, but they're machine washable. Use some oxy stuff and you're golden.

People with the hygiene reasons are hilarious.

To the OP, it frowned upon in most gyms, same as crossfit, functional training, lifting heavy...
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I avoid gyms just for this reason. No way is it OK. Do you walk barefoot into the grocery store too? Read the book Barefoot Running, there are great ways to develop your feet w/o running barefoot on a treadmill. I'd suggest if this is really what you want to do, buy a treadmill at home and do it there.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    You would not have a problem doing a front plank with your palms or elbows on a BOSU after someone stood on it with sweaty nasty bare feet?
    Pu, they do, but they're machine washable. Use some oxy stuff and you're golden.

People with the hygiene reasons are hilarious.

To the OP, it frowned upon in most gyms, same as crossfit, functional training, lifting heavy...
  • TuscanySun
    TuscanySun Posts: 3,608 Member
    Options
    No, it is not OK--just for basic sanitary reasons.

It's hard to imagine that being acceptable at any gym -- I know it wouldn't be permitted at ours.

This.
  • spartangirl79
    Options
    Also, you are only going to want to do 15-20 minutes of light jogging or walking barefoot (whether barefoot or in FiveFingers) to get started. You have to build up slowly so if you are truly new to barefoot running I doubt running on a treadmill is something you need to worry about right away. Seriously, just wearing FiveFingers to walk for an hour a day is enough to get started.